Browsing Android storage while MMW is running

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

UnderCoverGuy

Browsing Android storage while MMW is running

Post by UnderCoverGuy »

I'm not sure if this is something that I am missing or if it is a bug, so I'll post here...

I have MMW v4.1.5.1719 installed on my Windows 7 x64 desktop. When I plug my Android SCH-I535 Samsung Galaxy SIII into my desktop using a USB cable, I can browse the contents of the Android phone (using Windows Explorer) without any issues. However, when I have MMW open, the Android shows up in MMW as (SCH-I535 for the internal storage and SCH-I535 Card for the external storage) and I can't browse the contents. I have to exit MMW if I want to access the contents of my phone from Windows. I’ve tried different settings, cables, etc. but still the same results. I do have MMA installed on my Android but I don’t think that is the issue. To me, it seems as though MMW wants to manage access and control for the Android content when it is running and it won’t let me properly access the data on my phone from Windows while it is running. Is there some setting or something else about MMW (or MMA) that is preventing me from accessing the content on my phone when MMW is running (doesn't matter if it is media files or not)?

When I have MMW running and then try to use Windows Explorer to access the phone content, it will process access it slowly (the green bar goes across the top slowly, doesn’t matter if MMW shows as scanning the phone or not), and it eventually does come back with the contents of the phone (although not always reliable). The contents that it provides isn’t always accurate and if I try to copy or delete any files on the phone (using Windows Explorer), it tells me that the device is not ready, try again later, etc.

If I exit MMW, I have no problems accessing the phone contents from Windows Explorer, I can copy/paste/delete, etc.

Thanks in advance
Lowlander

Re: Browsing Android storage while MMW is running

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have the option to scan device when it's connected enabled in MediaMonkey?
UnderCoverGuy

Post by UnderCoverGuy »

Yes, for the internal storage I had only "Scan as soon as the device is connected" checked. For the external storage "card", I don't have that selected (no boxes are checked for external storage). I just changed the setting for the internal storage and tested it and it seems to be working properly now (thought I did this test before but guess not?).

So even though I only had this option enabled for the internal storage (and nothing checked for the external storage "card"), it seems that when this setting is enabled, it overrides any setting that is configured for external storage "card"? Is it because internal storage is considered "system" storage so it applies that as the default for external storage in MMW?

With the option unchecked, once I click on the android phone in MMW, it starts scanning it (as expected). But now with the setting unchecked, after it does the scan I can access the content while MMW is running (which I couldn't before). Just curious, does this option cause MMW to take control of the storage on the Android device while it is running?

Either way, thank you!!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The problem lies with the poor MTP implementation for most Android devices and the scanning cause a freeze in accessibility to the device. Closing Windows Explorer from the Task Manager seems to help.

However as you disabled scanning (it doesn't matter which memory is scanned as it's a single connection to your device) you can leave it at that.
UnderCoverGuy

Post by UnderCoverGuy »

Thanks for your quick help!!