Global hotkeys don’t work in some programs under Windows 8.1

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Kadano

Global hotkeys don’t work in some programs under Windows 8.1

Post by Kadano »

I have set the Mediamonkey Play/Pause hotkeys and others to my keyboard’s Play/Pause hotkey and, yes, made sure to have the Global checkbox active. However, depending on the program that currently has focus, the hotkeys may or may not be recognized by Mediamonkey. For example, when Windows Explorer has focus, they work fine. But when Opera has focus, they don’t work at all.

In fact, Opera is the only program I use currently that has that effect. When I used Opera and Mediamonkey in Windows 7 (which I had until yesterday), though, this problem was not there.

I even migrated all of my Opera and Mediamonkey settings (from Windows.old), so the only reason for this problem I can think of is that the new version of Opera or Mediamonkey I installed have some kind of weird hotkey behavior.

Does anyone of you have experienced this as well and can tell me how to fix this?
kopo

Re: Global hotkeys don’t work in some programs under Windows

Post by kopo »

This looks like a possible regression in Opera. Many years ago it would take control of media keys when in focus - it was a known issue.
Kadano

Re: Global hotkeys don’t work in some programs under Windows

Post by Kadano »

I found a workaround: by using Opera Beta instead and copying the "broken" Opera's AppData / Local folder to its, I can now use global hotkeys with all my passwords, bookmarks and settings still there.