Saving music and playlists while uninstalling media monkey

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tor eckman

Saving music and playlists while uninstalling media monkey

Post by tor eckman »

I have been getting the message "error during player initialization" when starting MM; in looking for solutions on how to correct this it seems I have to uninstall MM and then reinstall it. How do I save my music and playlists when I do this? Or am I stuck having to rip all my cds all over again?
jc836

Re: Saving music and playlists while uninstalling media monk

Post by jc836 »

Many if not most here have a folder named Music or My Music. In this folder will be sub-folders containing your ripped albums. These do not get uninstalled when you remove/repair Media Monkey. If you want to be really safe, create a backup of your music to an external device. As to Playlists, I defer to others.
Retired Broadcast Recording Engineer
Oldies are our main Genre. YES-we listen to Country and a few others too!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Your database is not removed when you uninstall, so your music and playlists aren't affected by uninstalling or reinstalling.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

tor eckman wrote:I have been getting the message "error during player initialization" when starting MM;
Is this happening everytime you try to start MM after you've installed MM and scanned everything or somewhere during or at the end of the installation process
itself?
tor eckman wrote:in looking for solutions on how to correct this it seems I have to uninstall MM and then reinstall it. How do I save my music and playlists when I do this?
If you have to reinstall and you want to back up your database, for a database file that's had file paths scanned to it, you can just look for and copy the
MM.DB file (includes data for playlists). Locations are here.
tor eckman wrote:Or am I stuck having to rip all my cds all over again?
No. The database file only records info for where the files are at so it can find them whenever it needs to. It's not the files themselves.
The files should be safe on your drive waiting just to be rescanned (but make sure you have them backed up to another drive) .
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
tor eckman

Post by tor eckman »

MMFrLife wrote:Is this happening everytime you try to start MM after you've installed MM and scanned everything or somewhere during or at the end of the installation process
itself?
No. I installed MMGold about a year ago; the error message just started popping up about a month ago; no idea why. BTW, thanks for your response.
terrysmith

Post by terrysmith »

I think you should find the source files of MM playlists and save them in some other extension - M3U, M3U8, ASX, TPL. so you can easily import them to some other audio player after deinstallation
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

terrysmith wrote:I think you should find the source files of MM playlists and save them in some other extension - M3U, M3U8, ASX, TPL. so you can easily import them to some other audio player after deinstallation
The source of playlists data is the database. You can create M3U/XSPF. I don't think you can do it in batch, though (a script, maybe)?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can create all Playlists using Tools > Scripts > Export All Playlists or use http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... d+playlist which can do it for a node (including Playlist nodes) and can do it automatically (good for backups).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)