Skins not working in Windows 10 [#12818]

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Caeke

Skins not working in Windows 10 [#12818]

Post by Caeke »

I just clean installed Windows 10 and when I tried to install my favorite skin, nothing happened. Switching between some of the preinstalleds kins, nothing continues to happen. Here's a picture.

Any help or ideas? This hurts to look at, heh
nohitter151

Re: Skins not working in Windows 10

Post by nohitter151 »

Works fine for me, where did you install the skin from?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Caeke

Post by Caeke »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/
Free version, reinstalled with fresh downloads a few times and still nothing. It might be worth mentioning I have it installed on a drive other than the one my OS is on.
Caeke

Post by Caeke »

It's like the windows override just isn't working or something, it's weird.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Caeke wrote:http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/
Free version, reinstalled with fresh downloads a few times and still nothing. It might be worth mentioning I have it installed on a drive other than the one my OS is on.
Ok, that is where to download MediaMonkey. But I wonder where you got the skin from.

Caeke

Post by Caeke »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... eclipse-3/
I don;t think that's the issue, I've used this skin in the past. None of the other default mediamonkey skins were working either.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Caeke wrote:http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... eclipse-3/
I don;t think that's the issue, I've used this skin in the past. None of the other default mediamonkey skins were working either.
Are you certain? Can you show a screenshot where Vitreous doesn't work? Because it's working fine for me on Windows 10.

In the past the problem is usually due to skins being installed improperly. When you download a MM addon it should be a MMIP file, you double click it to install.

dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I have 2 machines with new install of 10 (upgrade not fresh install) and have had no prob with skins. My default is viterous and except fot little things (upper right controls) it looks pretty good.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
bike-ramrod

Post by bike-ramrod »

I am having this same issue.
Clean install of Windows 10. Latest version of MM.

No skins seem to work.
My downloaded skins (which are saved here: C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\Skins) do not show in the list of available skins.
Camus II

Post by Camus II »

Part of the problem seems to be related to 'favicons' which show up in the options (see the OP's screenshot). This is not a skin, they're icons for various e-tailers that show up in the right context menu 'Get Info/Buy'.

I can replicate the problems that many have reported by clicking on 'favicons' (as if treating it as a skin). In my case, I had the same UI issues and limitations that others have reported and I lost the ability to go back to the default MM skin after doing this (no response = no transform) and the only way I could resurrect the situation was to close MM; move the 'favicons' folder out of C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\Skins (requires admin rights); open and close MM after checking ok; restore the 'favicons' folder. All was then back to normal on relaunch.

This is on windows 8.1 pro - so not just a windows 10 issue.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I replicated Favicons issue and it is now entered as Bug http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12818
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jentse

Re: Skins not working in Windows 10 [#12818]

Post by jentse »

Hi guys,

I have the same issue on my pc which i recently upgraded to Windows 10. Since yesterday, I am no longer able to select any of the skins. Yesterday MM suddenly had a different (custom) skin, and today MM will only appear with a white skin that I don't like. Changing skins doesn't have any effect.
The peculiar thing is, that this issue didn't start right away after I upgraded. At first, everything was fine.

Another issue that I experienced with Win 10, is that many folders (and everything in My Documents) were marked as 'read only', rendering them unusable by a lot of applications. I managed to resolve that problem by applying the right managing rights to those folders again, but it doesn't solve the problem when I try it on the Mediamonkey directory.

Has anyone (or the MM helpdesk) already found out what causes the problem with the skins, and how to solve it?

thanks a lot in advance!

cheers,
Jentse
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jentse wrote:Yesterday MM suddenly had a different (custom) skin, and today MM will only appear with a white skin that I don't like.

Has anyone (or the MM helpdesk) already found out what causes the problem with the skins, and how to solve it?

thanks a lot in advance!

cheers,
Jentse
It sounds like you are using the unskinned version of MediaMonkey. Make sure your shortcut to MM points to "MediaMonkey.exe" and not "MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe".

Also in the skin options make sure "Override skin theme with windows system theme" is unchecked.

Jazznote

Post by Jazznote »

it was all good at first but after testing different skins they all were not working.
HERE'S HOW I FIXED..
mmip extensions were somehow renamed .msz
went to folder:
C:\Users\""USER""\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Skins
--> rightclick one mmip extension i knew was renamed to .msz --> properties and navigated to open with "mediamonkey.exe" in install directory folder.
On the safe side did the same for one msz extension..
Voila! All came back to normal
stevesmith8pa

Post by stevesmith8pa »

Skins just stopped working for me today. I installed windows 10 a couple of months ago and everything was working fine. Today loading up media monkey I can only get the standard skin. I tried uninstalling media monkey several times and tried loading vutreousdark skin several times by double clicking as instructed. All the messages indicate the skin was installed correctly, but yet they do not appear. When reinstalling Media monkey I was sure I checked the windows override button. So what's up with Windows 10? Anybody have a fix?