Average Start Up Time for MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rrfpacker

Average Start Up Time for MM

Post by rrfpacker »

Just a general question for everyone. How long does it take your MM to start up and be ready to use? I ask this because I'm using MM on my fourth computer in 7 years (starting with XP and now on Windows 10) and it has always taken at least 10-15 minutes, even when my collection was small.

I'm wondering if I'm in the minority again.
MMFrLife

Re: Average Start Up Time for MM

Post by MMFrLife »

Currently, 1st time = 5.08 sec., 2nd = 5.08, 3rd = 4.86 using portable (4.1.7.1739) with other programs already running.
Asus mobo, quad-core i7-3770k HT(8) @ 3.5ghz, 8.0gb ram, NVIDIA 650GTX, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Win7

10 -15 min is terrible, unless you have some really old equip. That just shouldn't be, under reasonably normal circumstances.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

MMFrLife wrote:Currently, 1st time = 5.08 sec., 2nd = 5.80, 3rd = 4.86 using portable (4.1.7.1739) with other programs already running.
Asus mobo, quad-core i7-3770k HT(8) @ 3.5ghz, 8.0gb ram, NVIDIA 650GTX, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Win7

10 -15 min is terrible, unless you have some really old equip. That just shouldn't be, under reasonably normal circumstances.
That's what I thought. I used a brand new Sony laptop, and brand new Dell laptop, and now a couple year old Acer laptop. All with whatever the current Windows version that was available and all with updated/current portable MM installs.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

What are your specs on the current system?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

It also depends on the node you want to see initially.

If you choose to see your entire collection, with album art and additional sort order it takes ages to load.
If you choose a parent node like "Files to edit", it should load in less then 10 seconds - even with a database size around 5,5 GB :wink: and with an old fashioned hard disk.
● Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version ● SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
● ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) ● iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
● Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) ● RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

MMFrLife wrote:What are your specs on the current system?

Current system is Windows 7, 3g ram, 320g HD, AMD E350 processor 1.6ghz, and my DB is 295,000 kb. I'm guessing the processor isn't the latest and greatest as far as speed, but my previous laptop had an Intel Centrino duo processor, supposedly the fastest, strongest because we do a lot of Excel number crunching.

However, as I said previously, MM has never taken less than 10 minutes to start up going all the way back to my first install in 2008, so I've thought it was normal.

To MMuser, I normally just shut down and I'm usually in the Now Playing node.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

A typical recommendation would be to optimize (full) regularly, but certainly you know about all that jazz already; as you've clearly been around the block.

Sometimes when you keep it rested on NP node after you close, if you maintain lengthy NP lists, it can be a somewhat slower load up.
Also, if your sync portable device dialog has your external drive checked or set to sync automatic that might cause some problems, but you
would notice obvious scanning at the bottom of the GUI.

Even in my XP Pentium 4 HT_IDE HDD days, 10 -15m would have been grossly bizarre. ....hmm, something to think on a while :-?
rfpacker wrote:Intel Centrino duo processor, supposedly the fastest, strongest
Relative to what? .....but either way that alone wouldn't cause it to be that slow.

When you start MM, do you have a lot of other things going on already? I'm guessing it has a HDD in it (SSD?) What is the drives rpm 5200-5400, 7200.
😜
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The bottleneck for start-up time when it comes to MM is the speed of your hard drive.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Sometimes when you keep it rested on NP node after you close, if you maintain lengthy NP lists, it can be a somewhat slower load up.
Also, if your sync portable device dialog has your external drive checked or set to sync automatic that might cause some problems, but you
would notice obvious scanning at the bottom of the GUI.
It is rested on the NP node most of the time, but I keep less than 50 songs there. I don't scan on start up, but have MM monitoring my music folder. I have very little running when I start MM, just the normal. I'll have to check out the rpm on the hard drive.
The bottleneck for start-up time when it comes to MM is the speed of your hard drive

I'll have to look into that before I buy my next equipment.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

MMFrLife wrote:
When you start MM, do you have a lot of other things going on already? I'm guessing it has a HDD in it (SSD?) What is the drives rpm 5200-5400, 7200.
I looked on the external HD and didn't see a speed. How would I find out?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rrfpacker wrote:
MMFrLife wrote:
Look on the packaging it came in or google the make and model number of the drive

rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

nohitter151 wrote:
rrfpacker wrote:
MMFrLife wrote:
Look on the packaging it came in or google the make and model number of the drive
Well, I feel a little foolish...thanks nohitter. 5400rpm, that's pretty normal right?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

rrfpacker wrote:Well, I feel a little foolish...thanks nohitter. 5400rpm, that's pretty normal right?
It is especially normal to see in laptops. It's on the low end of HDD rpm, but that alone wouldn't cause 10 - 15 min.
There must be some sort of combination of things going on in your environment. Are you using Aero? If so, try MM start up with it disabled.
😜
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rrfpacker wrote:
Well, I feel a little foolish...thanks nohitter. 5400rpm, that's pretty normal right?
Its on the low end for modern hard drives, but does not explain such a long start up time.

Try also to defragment the drive.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Remove all external devices, disable Scripts (rename Scripts folder in MM install folder) and start with a single tab on a node that has few or no tracks. That should give you a quick startup time.

If that still takes really long rename the database, start once to create a new one and start again to test time. This should allow you to narrow down the cause of the problem.