Average Start Up Time for MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rrfpacker

Re: Average Start Up Time for MM

Post by rrfpacker »

Lowlander wrote:Remove all external devices, disable Scripts (rename Scripts folder in MM install folder) and start with a single tab on a node that has few or no tracks. That should give you a quick startup time.

I renamed the Scripts folder tonight and MM started up in less than 5 seconds. Good news. Renamed it back and it's back to about 10 minutes. What's next?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rrfpacker wrote:
Lowlander wrote:Remove all external devices, disable Scripts (rename Scripts folder in MM install folder) and start with a single tab on a node that has few or no tracks. That should give you a quick startup time.

I renamed the Scripts folder tonight and MM started up in less than 5 seconds. Good news. Renamed it back and it's back to about 10 minutes. What's next?
So some script or addon is causing the delay. You could add the script files back to the folder one by one and start MM to determine which one causes the issue.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Try putting back (one-at-a-time) your most used scripts first.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Couldn't I uninstall scripts one or two at a time to find the culprit instead of deleting all and installing one at a time?

Post by Guest »

I ask this because I'm using MM on my fourth computer in 7 years (starting with XP and now on Windows 10) and it has always taken at least 10-15 minutes, even when my collection was small.
...which suggests it's a script you've used since the beginning. So start with those and you might get lucky.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

rrfpacker wrote:Couldn't I uninstall scripts one or two at a time to find the culprit instead of deleting all and installing one at a time?
Not sure if this will work but instead of uninstalling/deleting, try renaming the Scripts folder to disable it. Then, create a new folder called Scripts
and slowly repopulate it (by copying) with the contents of the renamed scripts folder. Start with the MM natives first, like search.vbs, case.vbs, etc., > scripts.ini
and so on to your most used/oldest third party scripts (one by one) > least used and/or newest third parties (one by one).

If it doesn't work just delete the newly created Scripts folder and rename the original back to Scripts.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rrfpacker wrote:Couldn't I uninstall scripts one or two at a time to find the culprit instead of deleting all and installing one at a time?
You don't have to uninstall or delete them. Just copy the files out of the scripts folder and add them back in one at a time.

rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Looks like the culprit is Randomize Playlist, which really sucks because I like this one. Guess I'll remove it and see how much I miss it. Thanks everyone.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rrfpacker wrote:Looks like the culprit is Randomize Playlist, which really sucks because I like this one. Guess I'll remove it and see how much I miss it. Thanks everyone.
That's strange, I have that one installed and it doesn't cause a problem for me

rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

nohitter151 wrote:
rrfpacker wrote:Looks like the culprit is Randomize Playlist, which really sucks because I like this one. Guess I'll remove it and see how much I miss it. Thanks everyone.
That's strange, I have that one installed and it doesn't cause a problem for me
Strange is right. But, as you have seen by my other posts (most recently about not being able to see lyrics in the lyrics tab in all dark skins) if there is a way to be different, my computer will make sure it happens. At least now I don't have to start MM 10 minutes before I want to use it.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I did without this script for two years as my start time was incredibly long with it installed. I just installed it again tonight and it takes MM over 15 minutes to start. Guess it's time to uninstall again. Any clues why this script would cause this problem?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hmm,
Maybe it is time to do some optimizations? :wink:

1. Use same MM.DB on MMW on Clean portable install and measure results.
2. Copy Same Mm.DB to MM5 portable Install and do Rebuild Library (watch it takes lots of time) and then use that in portable install from step 1 and measure results.
3. Install problematic script and measure results.

Report here ;)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Peke wrote:Hmm,
Maybe it is time to do some optimizations? :wink:

1. Use same MM.DB on MMW on Clean portable install and measure results.
2. Copy Same Mm.DB to MM5 portable Install and do Rebuild Library (watch it takes lots of time) and then use that in portable install from step 1 and measure results.
3. Install problematic script and measure results.

Report here ;)
I will try this in the upcoming weeks. Thank you.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

rrfpacker wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:37 pm
I did without this script for two years as my start time was incredibly long with it installed. I just installed it again tonight and it takes MM over 15 minutes to start. Guess it's time to uninstall again. Any clues why this script would cause this problem?
Here we are in 2021, almost 4 years since my last post about this problem. I reinstalled Randomize Playlist because I missed it and now I get a greyed out MM upon start up and about 20 minutes for MM to open if it does at all.

It's really too bad I will have to uninstall this again, I really like it. Running latest MM4.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So the Addon is causing a slower MMW startup, ie. without it MMW starts up normally?