Moved MM -- lost video thumbnails

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

scott967

Moved MM -- lost video thumbnails

Post by scott967 »

Had a computer failure. Was running MM 4.1.9.1764 in portable mode. So I restored a backup of MM on my new hardware, also restored media files to new HDD (used same folder structure). I used the "update location of files in database" script to set the new HDD serial in the MM.DB. All that seems to work, but I don't get thumbnails. The thumbnail files all exist in the thumbnails folder. I tried starting with an empty thumbnail folder but that didn't do anything. Tried turning off/on the "generate thumbnails for videos" in the options and re-scanning, but still can't get thumbnails. Any other ideas how to either get MM to see the existing thumbnails or regenerate them?

scott s.
Lowlander

Re: Moved MM -- lost video thumbnails

Post by Lowlander »

I believe rescanning video files should result in new thumbnails if they're have none associated. Have you checked the Artwork tab of an affected video file to see if anything (even blank) is associated already?
scott967

Re: Moved MM -- lost video thumbnails

Post by scott967 »

So I've tried various things, installed another portable version with defaults, installed normally. I do notice when I start the program, I get a progress bar that says generating thumbnails. There are 70 mp4 files, but it always shows it is generating thumbnails for 3 files. If I look at the files to edit "unknown artwork" tab, the number shown reduces by three each run. So I repeatedly closed/open MM until finally no more files were shown in the "unknown artwork". Still no artwork on any of the files, and I don't see anyplace where the thumbnails are saved (appdata or otherwise).

Update:

OK I grabbed the debug version for 1764 and ran it and see that MM needed codec support to get the thumbs from mp4 (AVC/AAC). The files played in MM so I assumed current MM was good. So I installed the latest LAV filters and that seems to have fixed it.

scott s.