Suggestions for Classical music paths

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

torrid

Suggestions for Classical music paths

Post by torrid »

My MM collection of over 1,300 albums is well organized. That small subset that is classical music has never been cared for as well as it should be. I am in the process of deleting all of the albums and starting over. (It's probably fewer than 100 albums and the current organization is a bit of a mess.)

After looking at the Classical Music node in MM it's apparent that the physical storage of the CDs makes little difference. But I am looking for some suggestions and guidance. Best practices, if you will. Essentially all of my other music is arranged as <Artist>/<Album>/<Track>. This seems to simple for classical music. After looking at it for a bit it seems that it might be best to have two primary organizations with a third for the "strange cases".

1) The first is for albums where all the tracks are by one composer. In this case, the path would be <Composer>/<Artist>/<Album>/<Track>.

2) Where it is a variety of works by one performer or orchestra it would be <Artist>/<Album>/Composer>/<Track>.

3) Finally, for those few compilation CDs I could have a <Various Classical> folder followed by <Album>/<Artist>/<Composer>/<Track>.
3a) Of course, there is always the option of ignoring the physical media altogether and just go with the basic <Composer>/<Artist>/<Album>/<Track>. On a track-by-track basis. If I want to create a playlist to recreate the CD, I can do so.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dann
yarguy

Re: Suggestions for Classical music paths

Post by yarguy »

You are correct that the organisation of classical albums is not as straightforward as that for other genres. I ended up just using the album name as the basis of my digital organisation. There turned out to be too many albums with either multiple performers or multiple composers or both to use either as the basis. So the mask I use in auto-organise is simply:

\Classical Recordings\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>

The $if statement includes a disc number, preceded by "Disc", only if the album has a disc, and I only include disc numbers in properties if there are multiple disks to the album .

And while MM has as good a library for classical as any player, it still lacks some necessary features. I created a custom field I called Work so that all the movements of a piece would have a field in common. For example, the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin's CPE Bach album has 3 symphonies and 2 concertos, each with 3 tracks. Each of these five pieces has a distinct entry in Work that is the same for all 3 tracks. I then set up the Column Browser with three colums: Composer, Work, and Artist. This is one of the big advantages of having Classical Music as a distinct collection, so that I can use this column browser configuration for classical and a different one for other genres (ones where Work would not be useful).
torrid

Post by torrid »

Thanks, yarguy. Adding "Work" is a particularly good suggestion. While some big rock albums of the 70's (Moody Blues or Pink Floyd come to mind) might have something close to this, as far as the recording goes it is only "tracks." Being able to identify movements within a work will better maintain the integrity of the piece.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Don't forget that the linked-tracks extension allows you to tie all the tracks (=movements) of a single piece together so that when you start playing the first track, the others will play in sequence. With linked_tracks you can add just the first track to a playlist or now playing and then randomise (or shuffle) and still the whole piece will play in order before the first track of the next (randomly selected) piece plays. (Thanks to steegy for this most useful extension.)