Tracks into folders?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Kupuna

Tracks into folders?

Post by Kupuna »

Have over 800 tracks, mostly classical. Rather than seeing each track for an album (or other grouping) I'd like to see only a folder with the album or piece name. How could I accomplish that within the database?
Example: Rachmaninoff "Rhapsody.....Paganini" has 23 short tracks, but is only one piece. Could I create a "Rhapsody" folder and collapse the 23 tracks inside?
Thanks!
Peke

Re: Tracks into folders?

Post by Peke »

Not sure what you mean, if tags are correct it should be already groped. Check if Album Artist is correctly set.

Also can you make one screenshot showing what you do not want to have in library?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

First, you will want to get the extension Linked_tracks. It ties together all the tracks of a particular piece such that if you play the first track, MM will automatically play all the rest of the tracks in order. Information about it can be found at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ngs+groups

Then, here's how I have set up my classical collection. http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic. ... uy#p422446

The addition of a custom field called Work requires some more effort, but I have found it makes using MM for classical recordings much easier.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you use Art View (View > Show Art) it will show only Album entries by cover. Unfortunately you can't click through to the individual Album and it's files (you'll need to change View to see files).

A bit more workable would be the Art Browser with Details.
Kupuna

Post by Kupuna »

Thanks! Album folders might be a feature to consider for future upgrades. I believe I'm not unusual, as a classics fan, in the desire to often quickly locate and listen to "the whole thing" as far as a classical composition like a symphony is concerned. I appreciate your reply and I'll work with your suggestions.
bj7575

Post by bj7575 »

Hi Kupuna,

I use MM and have close to 30'000 tracks all sorted into artists folders. I created one folder say called music. Then in that folder create each artist there own folder. Then I get MM to create track title from which album and date and genre.

So when you are done. You have one folder with artists names A-Z . I've found it a lot easier to look up if you have an album or you don't.

What I would do. Create your main folder where you want your music stored. Create a folder say Mozart. Within the folder Mozart create fodder for albums that where your music is from. Say Best of Mozart. Then within best of Mozart put all tracks from the album in there.

For example I have one artist folder with several folders from each album.

Once you have done that I would rescan for missing or moved tracks.

Media monkey will be able to search all the different folders making it easy to find what your looking for white still allowing you over time to easily check if you have an artist or not and if you do.. have that album.

I hope this helps

Bj
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Classical music is organised very differently from pop music and solutions that might be appropriate for pop often just don't work well for classical. Many classical albums have different composers for different tracks and this suggestion would scatter the tracks of those across different folders. As well, even if the composer were the same for all the tracks the performers might not be and, again, this would scatter the tracks of an album across different folders. For me the best solution is to use the tools WITHIN MM and powerful add-ons to organise classical material. I have organised over 13000 classical tracks using MM and in every case one album = one folder (if there are multiple discs to the album each gets a separate sub-folder within the main album folder). Use the Classical Music collection that MM provides; it allows the user the have a different organisation for classical than for pop/jazz in the same library - one of the reasons I use MM. Enter the composer for every track and if there is a conductor be sure that gets entered, too. (It would be nice if MM added another field for the ensemble / orchestra; then the artist field could be used for soloists - if there are any; as it is I put the ensemble/orchestra and any soloists into the artist field.) Tie all the tracks that are the movements of a piece together with the linked-tracks add-on. Optional step: use one of the custom fields to add the name of the work. The latter step lets me use the column browser to display the four essential fields: Composer-Work-Conductor-Orchestra/Soloist and while it is a fair bit of work to add the Work information (it isn't a field in the ID3 system and so isn't easily retrieveable from a database) it makes MM a powerful tool for managing a classical collection. For what it's worth, if there is a standard catalogue of a composer's works, such as Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis, I try to use that as the basis for naming the work.

bj7575 wrote:Hi Kupuna,

I use MM and have close to 30'000 tracks all sorted into artists folders. I created one folder say called music. Then in that folder create each artist there own folder. Then I get MM to create track title from which album and date and genre.

So when you are done. You have one folder with artists names A-Z . I've found it a lot easier to look up if you have an album or you don't.

What I would do. Create your main folder where you want your music stored. Create a folder say Mozart. Within the folder Mozart create fodder for albums that where your music is from. Say Best of Mozart. Then within best of Mozart put all tracks from the album in there.

For example I have one artist folder with several folders from each album.

Once you have done that I would rescan for missing or moved tracks.

Media monkey will be able to search all the different folders making it easy to find what your looking for white still allowing you over time to easily check if you have an artist or not and if you do.. have that album.

I hope this helps

Bj
Kupuna

Post by Kupuna »

BJ, This is a great suggestion. Very helpful, and it sounds like just what I need. Thanks again
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Kupuna, are you trying to get a classical piece with many sub-parts to show as a single name/location in the "file list"?
If so, it seems that bj7575's solution would only show a single name for the folder in the "tree", not the file list.
It sounds kind of like what most people do anyway, especially for general/pop music, as yarguy implies.

This has been brought up before on the forum. I came up with an idea myself but it was rather complex and somewhat impractical,
actually, I can't even remember exactly what it was.

Maybe, I'm confused as to what you are trying to accomplish and exactly what bj7575 is trying to say. Can someone
please clarify.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

I would like to see screenshots of steps you describe here.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bj7575

Post by bj7575 »

Your welcome Kupuna.

Of course everyone has their own preferences on how they configure MM that's the best thing about it. Powerful reliable and bloody easy to use. For people who are new or never knew what you can do... Here are the steps that I do. I don't know how to screen shots. So here it goes.

First work out where you want to store your music.
Create a folder in your computer by right clicking select create new folder. Double click in the folder and you can type what you want to call the folder.
In that folder you just created right click again and create new folder and double click again so you can type what you want to call the folder for example ACDC.
if using MM gold from here MM does the rest. Unless the cd is not known then you have to enter each track manually.

With MM open put in your Cd while connected to the Internet. if the cd is known it will auto fill the track name artist genre and date. Sometimes some fields are missing. Simply click on the first track hold down sift key and click on the last track. You can modify all tracks at once for genre, date, album name, but be careful not to change track name, you will change every track.
Towards the top of media monkey you will see an area where can click on that will allow you to select a folder where you want to rip the cd to.

Main music folder - ACDC (if you stop here and select this folder and start ripping a back in black cd) MM will do the rest if album is known by feedb .

So you will get.
Main music folder
ACDC
Back in black
Song title 1
Song title 2
Song title 3

You get the idea.

Then you get another ACDC album

It looks like going down each line is a different folder except the last is the one folder showing a list of songs.

Main music
ACDC
Back in black
T.N.T
Song title 1
Song title 2
Song title3

I'm sure you get the idea.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

um..., ok, but that just sounds like the basic create folders and rip to a folder steps. I thought Kupuna did not want to see a "list" of songs.
It seems that he only wants one part (not a list of the parts/songs/pieces) of the song to be visible (preferably the first/beginning piece). A way where
that would include the other parts, but they would not be visible. And besides, where in the second example are you saying the list of songs is visible
(or "showing" as you word it)? Are they in the tree and/or the file list?

Am I just confused again? :-?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜