Generating genre from folders

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by MMFrLife »

Bob_m_54 's "abbreviated" idea also works for skipping.

like,

Code: Select all

<Genre>\\<Title> - <Artist>
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
mmediaman

Post by mmediaman »

Okay the syntax given by @Rivorson works. Thank you.

A few follow-up questions
1.) Could the entire path be combined and written into a single tag? What would be the example syntax?
2.) How is the <Path:n> command actually used? Is it only good for writing paths to disk or can it's value be used for evaluation and to update tags?
3.) How is the $If statement used in combination with these? Trying something like $If(<Path:-1>=Media,<Custom 1>\<Custom 2>\<Title> - <Artist>,) returns nothing...
Not sure I can even explain the intent of #3 except to say that \Media is the top level folder which I never want returned and written to <Custom X>, I am trying to set a condition that if the folder structure contains "\Media", that "\Media" does not get written to the tag.

Thanks again.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

@mmediaman, was the filename already correct when you asked the first question?
Just curious?

@rivorson, why the inclusion of "\<Title> - <Artist>" in your example?
It doesn't appear to do anything and seems to be able to be left off.
That part doesn't appear to do anything in my example either.

Thanks
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

mmediaman wrote: 1.) Could the entire path be combined and written into a single tag? What would be the example syntax?
2.) How is the <Path:n> command actually used? Is it only good for writing paths to disk or can it's value be used for evaluation and to update tags?
3.) How is the $If statement used in combination with these? Trying something like $If(<Path:-1>=Media,<Custom 1>\<Custom 2>\<Title> - <Artist>,) returns nothing...
Not sure I can even explain the intent of #3 except to say that \Media is the top level folder which I never want returned and written to <Custom X>, I am trying to set a condition that if the folder structure contains "\Media", that "\Media" does not get written to the tag.
1: Not using Auto Tag from Filename. ZvezdanD's Regexp Find & Replace script would be able to do that but it might be complicated if you've never used regular expressions though.
2 & 3: <Path> and $If statements are only useful in Auto Organize. They don't work in Auto Tag from Filename.

MMFrLife wrote:@rivorson, why the inclusion of "\<Title> - <Artist>" in your example?
It doesn't appear to do anything and seems to be able to be left off.
That part doesn't appear to do anything in my example either.
mmediaman's question was originally in a separate thread. That thread has been merged with this one.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

rivorson -
ok, thanks. I'll hold off a bit, so as not to confuse the flow of the thread.
Then, I will come back and ask the same question. ...just trying to learn. :)
😜
mmediaman

Post by mmediaman »

Thanks for the reply @Rivorson. It is quite useful to know which objects do not apply to AutoTag, although they are discussed in the same section of the user guide. Quite confusing as to what functionality is relevant only to AutoTagging from filename... Anyhow I will work around it.

@MMFrLife, I'm not sure merging the topics was best since the conversations appear to get mixed in under the different headings. See where the heading "Yet another Autotag from Filename Question" starts to see the context of why <Title> - <Artist> was mentioned. Original question explained that my structure is DriveLetter:\Media\Genre\Era\FileName where FileName is in the format {TITLE} - {Artist}
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ok, so your issue seems to be wrapped up.

So here goes.

I've id'd the confusion. Rivorson and you seem to think I'm not following because I think your topic is supposed to fit in nicely with what came before.
Actually, your original post is the inspirtion for my question. I even created a mock test structure based on that path, comically using "Before Tme"
in the Era position. Anyway, the skip part works fine, I just don't get what "\<Title> - <Artist>" part is supposed to do. I'm guessing it's just there to
reflect what you already have. But when I enter, it doesn't even BlueReflect what's already there, it just stays the same as if its not needed.
When I remove it, again the same. Can you tell me what it is supposed to do and I will take another look? Thanks
😜
mmediaman

Post by mmediaman »

@MMFrLife, "\<Title> - <Artist>" is there because the media file on disk follows that naming convention. So, MM AutoTagFromFilename is going to "read the values in" as it appears. Hope I am not insulting by over-simplifying, but here is the example.

On Disk:
L:\Media\Rock\80s\DO YOU THINK I'M SEXY - Rod Stewart

So the AutoTagFromFilename is going to populate the MP3/MP4 Id tags as follows

Title = DO YOU THINK I'M SEXY
Artist = Rod Stewart
Genre = Rock

when a mask script like the following is used. \\<Genre>\\<Title> - <Artist>

The mask is just that, a mask, where the "\\" or "<Skip>" entries will cause it not to read in the value in that spot. So its like taking the mask and laying it down over whatever your media path and filename is. Again my apologies for over-simplifying if you already knew all of this. It may help someone else. I know I needed the simplicity when I first started looking at it :D

Hope I have it right. @Rivioson can keep me honest here. :-?
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Perfectly described, mmediaman.

If the file name doesn't contain " - " somewhere in the middle then MM won't tag either artist or title, so that might be why it isn't working for you, MMFrLife.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I got it now! :D

mmediaman, I knew everything you explained and I had the "-", but the key was mistakenly assuming the title tag was already filled and not deleting it before trying
on my test copies. That's why I asked, probably clumsily, if it was already that way. I knew what youz twoz were saying had to be correct.

There is no need to apologize. Trying to be as simple as possible (with detail) is my favorite way. If I already know or have tried something, I'll let you know,
respectfully, then attempt to refocus the issue. Discussing the same\similar ideas with different examples can be very helpful. You did an excellent job!

Thanks to both 8)
😜
captain paranoia

Post by captain paranoia »

I'm sorry, but who in their right mind organises their physical library using genre?

Genre is very subjective, and most online metadata is 'wrong' regarding genre.

Store your physical library by <album artist>/<album>/<track title> (to match your actual physical collection of CDs), then you can easily re-rip a given CD into the physical storage location.

For all metadata-based searching/indexing/playing, use the logical library view, be it genre, album artist, artist, date, composer, blah, blah, blah.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You organize files as fits your needs. If Genre fits, why not? It won't work for me as Albums would be split, but if you tag Albums with the same Genre it works well. I subscribe to the idea of adding as much metadata to folder/filenames as possible as it will allow for data recovery if tags are lost/become incorrect.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

captain paranoia wrote:...who in their right mind organises their physical library using genre?
What's a right mind? I've never heard of such a thing! _budump bump, chsss... :wink:

No, but seriously folks. It's not like using genre creates some sort of chaotic hail storm of confusion.
It's really a very relaxed and enjoyable environment.

I don't know if I would say "most" of the time the online stuff is wrong, although
I tend to find it a bit too simplified for my organizational tastes. When I listen to music I try not to
think in terms of genre or era. I like to think of it as different sounds brought together to make art.
But, it's nice to have a way to organize things and genre works just fine.

I'm guessing it's probably easier for most people to lead off with the artist than to remember what genre everything
is associated with, but it works great for me.
captain paranoia wrote:Store your physical library by <album artist>/<album>/<track title> (to match your actual physical collection of CDs),
then you can easily re-rip a given CD into the physical storage location.
Leading off with with genre isn't any more difficult. Even if you use combined elements like myself, ripping to destination
is easier than tagging based on path with combined elements, as discussed above. You can just use "\<Genre> <Album Artist>\"
Besides, many people rip to a staging area first.
😜
mmediaman

Post by mmediaman »

captain paranoia wrote:I'm sorry, but who in their right mind organises their physical library using genre?

I don't think its a good idea to make judgemental statements about someone's logic.

Since my post introduced the idea of organization by Genre, (which in the first place was merely for context of the technical question), I feel moved to post this reply. It might be interesting to know that I am a veteran DJ of 20+ years, with more successful club gigs and private event parties than I can count. Organizing a library by Genre makes complete sense and a proven method for part of this success. Consider that DJs don't blend from genre to genre and era to era from one track to another during the course of their presentation.

The point here is, unless you know a thing or two about how music is consumed, don't be judgemental. ....even then.
Bob_m_54

Post by Bob_m_54 »

mmediaman wrote:
captain paranoia wrote:I'm sorry, but who in their right mind organises their physical library using genre?

I don't think its a good idea to make judgemental statements about someone's logic.

Since my post introduced the idea of organization by Genre, (which in the first place was merely for context of the technical question), I feel moved to post this reply. It might be interesting to know that I am a veteran DJ of 20+ years, with more successful club gigs and private event parties than I can count. Organizing a library by Genre makes complete sense and a proven method for part of this success. Consider that DJs don't blend from genre to genre and era to era from one track to another during the course of their presentation.

The point here is, unless you know a thing or two about how music is consumed, don't be judgemental. ....even then.
consider "Like" button pressed. :lol: