Separating one album into two

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TroubleClef

Separating one album into two

Post by TroubleClef »

I'm having a strange problem I can't figure out how to solve. I have two different albums with the same name, by the same album artist. They were displayed as individual albums but in messing around with the tags I somehow inadvertently grouped them and they now seem to appear as the same album. How would I separate them?

I'm still learning the basics of the software and tagging, etc. Thanks for the help!
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
MMFrLife

Re: Separating one album into two

Post by MMFrLife »

Try,
group all the tracks together per album > select all tracks per album > retag Album Artist and Album
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Yep .. the Album Artist and Album name are what defines an album. So if for example you have a 'remastered' version of the same album I would normally put (remastered) at the end of the album name
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

OK, I changed only the album artist and that did it. Thank you. That must have been what I changed earlier without realizing the effect it would have on the album grouping.

In this case it was the difference between the Frank Morgan All Stars and Frank Morgan. Personally, I don't really prefer having the album artist include "All stars" or "Quartet" or Quintet since when I'm looking for an artist I'm not really thinking about if its qualified with any of those group names. So if I'm looking for albums by the artist Frank Morgan in this case, I might not see the Frank Morgan All Stars. But I guess 9 out of 10 times changing the album artist name wouldn't matter unless there are two albums with the same name by that artist... I guess its similar to the analogy of a remastered album.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

In that case I think it is important to have the correct name for the artist. In jazz there are so many version of say .. Duke Ellington. The quartet was much different than the full orchestra and it is nice to keep it separate in the name
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

dtsig wrote:In that case I think it is important to have the correct name for the artist. In jazz there are so many version of say .. Duke Ellington. The quartet was much different than the full orchestra and it is nice to keep it separate in the name
Point taken. I guess I was thinking more in the context of jazz musicians like Dexter Gordon for example who recorded almost exclusively in quartet or quintet settings, so Its probably just my preference but the significance of whether a particular album is a quartet or quintet is less important to me and I can see which it is when I am browsing albums... In the case of Ellington its the opposite, he had relatively few small group albums so I could see how they might get lost in the shuffle if not given their own designation.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't use Date (Year) in addition to Album and Album Artist (likely because not everyone uses it for Album Release Date), but you could use Year in the Album name (which works until 2 Albums are released in the same year). I personally rather mess with Album than Album Artist.