Importing playlists to Google Play Music

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JimPa

Importing playlists to Google Play Music

Post by JimPa »

(Note: This is a suggestion of how to do something, not me needing help, so please move to a different part of the forum if necessary)

This may or may not help anyone but I was struggling to find a simple way to import my playlists from MM into Google Play Music. I found a few suggestions (some paid) but none of them seemed to do what I wanted. This can all be done for free.

What you need:

Google Chrome browser
Tampermonkey Extension for Chrome
A Google Play Music Account (a free account is fine)

1) Install the Tampermonkey extension for Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fkfo?hl=en)
2) Install this GitHub Gmusic javascript (https://github.com/soulfx/gmusic-playlist.js) into Tampermonkey
3) Export whatever playlist you want from MM as a csv file (File>Create Reports>File list CSV)
4) Tidy up the csv file (you only need the title/artist/album/playlist columns in your csv)
5) Open the GPM website in your browser and you should now have an extra 'Import Playlist' option in the menu
6) Bingo - playlists imported!

Worked brilliantly for me, let me know if you need any help.

Hopefully Google will implement some kind of way to import playlists soon, seeing as there are so many adopted standards - come on Google pull your finger out...
Peke

Re: Importing playlists to Google Play Music

Post by Peke »

Have you tested MM5? If not I would suggest it and give us feedback on Google services you like/need/want in mm5.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

I haven't tried MM5 yet but might give it a try. Quickly reading through the info it looks like a completely separate install - is there any chance it will mess up or conflict with MM4 or my library in any way?
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I have had no problems with both installed .. it installs as a portable install so just dont install over a current portable
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Thanks, I'll give it a try then when I next get a chance.

Have to say after putting up with the mess that is iTunes for years, MM is actually helping me listen to music again and bringing back some pleasure and new ways to explore my music collection :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Library should be intact although MM5 offer MM4 library import. But as both access same files be careful as changes to files are permanent.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
limnrix

Post by limnrix »

I try this, and all it does is export another csv in its own format without creating playlists. I've tried formatting the csv the same way, but it's still not working. Am I missing something obvious?
Ragin08

Post by Ragin08 »

same here. Maybe it's outdated
tarcom

Post by tarcom »

Same here, I only get another playlist. I really hoped this would do the trick
tarcom

Post by tarcom »

You have to try a few times, press f5 (reload) in Google Play Music after import, and you will see the new playlist with the current date as name. It does work :)