Migrating current MM database (without losing editing) to a new computer

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Unsunghero

Migrating current MM database (without losing editing) to a new computer

Post by Unsunghero » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:32 pm

I am aware there are multiple tutorial already on here for migrating my database from one computer to another. I did this three years ago when leaving for Uni and no longer having access to a PC, just a laptop. I now need to move the database from my laptop to my PC.

I have followed the tutorial and copied the db settings etc, I have copied my 15,000 tracks to the new computer but can not get MM to recognise them. The tracks will show in MM but will not play. I have followed the tutorial on here 'and added scripts which supposedly do this really easy but nothing works.

Also some of the track copied over have lost the editing I did to them.

I am also getting Access Violation messages on my PC, which is exactly the same problem I have had on my laptop for the last three years. I put something on here about that and although somebody remote connected to my computer several times and even entered debug mode, they could not find the problem. This Access Violation message is now appearing on my PC before I've even managed to do anything with MM.

This is very frustrating and MM has been very difficult to use the last three years, I hate to say it but at this point I'm about ready to return to the awful iTunes to see if I have less problems with that.

Also a way of putting music into MM in the past that I have used is to just drag and drop the music into the main window. This apparently is now disabled and I can not add music this way?

Lowlander

Re: Migrating current MM database (without losing editing) to a new computer

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:53 pm

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer and then use https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... n+database as mentioned (ask any questions about it in that forum thread).

Note File > Locate Moved/Missing Files can also do this on selected files, however you'll need to verify the matches it makes between old and new files.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Lowlander wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Locate Moved/Missing Files can also do this on selected files, however you'll need to verify the matches it makes between old and new files.
Sorry for posting the wrong place, I find this forum very difficult to navigate, I had searched for about an hour before posting but was just going around in circles.

The page you directed me to was one I had already use and couldn't get the desired result. But I won't go into that on here as it's obviously the wrong place.

With regards to your other comment and the 'Locate Moved/Missing files..', I have tried that and it has messed the db up even more. Luckily I only tried it on one track.

I selected the track, clicked Locate Moved/Missing files... and this is what happened. I said the track had been update but I'm not really sure what MM has done with it, it appears to have merge the track with another track.

The original file path was D:\Users\NAME\Music\A Fine Frenzy\A Fine Frenzy- Hits\Almost Lover.m4a

The details in the properties window obviously correspond: Title=Almost Lover, Artist=A Fine Frenzy, Album=A Fine Frenzy: Hits

When I have run the Locate Moved/Missing files, it has kept the details in the properties window exactly the same. But it has change the file path to D:\Users\NAME\Music\Glen Hughes\This Time Around- An Anthology 1970-2007\Holy Man (Deep Purple).m4a.

When I have checked my D:\ the folder for the band A Fine Frenzy is missing. If I navigate to the Glen Hughes album, the track Holy Man is there, but it always was, I do have a track by this name, but the track Almost Lover has completely vanished.

Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Like I said, you'll need to verify that the match is correct. If not you'll get the wrong track data as it has been matched incorrectly. This is why Update Location of Files in Database is an easier solution.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)