MM 4.1.23.1881 - Playlist stuck at load time. MM won't shut down fully

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

freedomfries323

MM 4.1.23.1881 - Playlist stuck at load time. MM won't shut down fully

Post by freedomfries323 »

So this is a weird new problem. I can edit my playlist, clear it, add tracks, etc... BUT if I close MM and launch it again, the playlist no longer reflects where it was left off at shut down. Instead it is stuck on a playlist I set up a couple weeks ago. No matter what I do, the same playlist of random tracks I added manually shows up.

When I go to close MM, I get a message saying "There are background process running, terminate them?". I don't recall getting this in the past, either, and wonder if this is related. Another weird thing is that I still see the MM icon in my system tray, as if MM was minimized, rather than closed down. If I right click on that icon, and select "exit", it doesn't shut down either... The only may to make it disappear, is to open up my WIndows task manager, where I force it by ending the process itself.

If I restart my computer, and relaunch MM, same playlist shows up, regardless of whether I cleared it or replaced it.

So I'm experiencing 2 weird behaviors. 1, the playlist issue, 2, not being able to fully close MM... Anyone else getting this. It wasn't the case in the past... Not sure when this behavior began, to be honest.
Lowlander

Re: MM 4.1.23.1881 - Playlist stuck at load time. MM won't shut down fully

Post by Lowlander »

The Now Playing is saved on a proper exit. From your description that isn't happening as MediaMonkey isn't closing. Does the Statusbar in MediaMonkey show what is still running? Do you have any extra Addons installed?
freedomfries323

The only addons I have are skins. What happens when I shut down is MM main window closes, but it is still running in the background. If I look at the bottom right I still see MM running and this one won't exit. If I launch MM again, it comes back up, and now I have 2 instances of MM icons at the bottom right. I can keep doing this and a third one shows up. These refuse to be shut down and the only way to do this is to kill the task.

I do run MM DLNA server as a service on this machine, but this is a separate task in task manager, and it doesn't report any icons in the system tray even when it's running. Could this be the issue?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try File > Exit and also try disconnecting any media devices from your PC (phones/players/USB drives), if that fails too, capture a failed shutdown in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
freedomfries323

After more troubleshooting, I'm getting the idea that the problem comes from running MM DLNA server as a service. When I disable the server, shut down MM, clear all MM related processes that refuse to close and restart MM, the issue is gone. I can open MM and notice that the last change to Now Playing has been saved. Also, the notice saying there are background processes running is gone when I shut down MM (which tells me that's for MM DLNA server).

This has to be it. I am running the same MM configuration on 3 different windows 10 computers at home (except ONE is set to run a MM DLNA server as a service). Same MM skins, same windows 10 version, with same base software installs (regarding the possibility of other programs interfering), and the only one experiencing this issue is the one running MM DLNA server. The issue goes away when I turn that off, and I can reproduce this consistently.

I would hope that you guys look into this. Running MM DLNA server as a background service should not interfere with the main app on the local system, but apparently it does?

EDIT: Another thing I tried is to start the MM server service by running "net start MediaMonkeyService" in a command line. This only work if you have the MM server ENABLED icon checked in MM's media sharing options section for that server. Running that Net start command launches TWO background processes for me. One called "MediaMonkey", and one called "MediaMonkeyservice.exe".

Is that normal? It appears that perhaps the MedaMonkey background service is the one that interferes with MM client shutting down?
freedomfries323

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:46 pm Try File > Exit and also try disconnecting any media devices from your PC (phones/players/USB drives), if that fails too, capture a failed shutdown in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
I tried this and nothing gets logged... The problem persists, but nothing gets written to debug view when I open/close Media Monkey
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you running the debug version of MediaMonkey? If that's the case you may need to start DBGView as administrator.
freedomfries323

Lowlander wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:25 pm Are you running the debug version of MediaMonkey? If that's the case you may need to start DBGView as administrator.
I just installed the debug version of MM... Here's what I found. When I launch it, the MediaMonkey DLNA service shuts down, and I don't see the server anymore. As soon as I close Media Monkey (the app), the server processes launch again and reappear in the task manager. This behavior is different from the non debug version, where I can see my DLNA server in Media Monkey, and so I know the services are running. Therefore, I cannot use the debug version to troubleshoot this problem.

This being said, I can consistenly reproduce the problem described above with the regular version of MM.

What is the expected behavior with a configuration where DLNA server is running as a service? Should I see it on my local copy of MM? Should it interfere with the local MM's ability to close? As it appears as a separate process in task manager, what gives?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Service should stop when launching MediaMonkey and start when closing MediaMonkey.
freedomfries323

Ok, then the normal version of MediaMonkey isn't doing this for me currently. The server service runs at all times; and Media Monkey doesn't properly shut down because of this as I have described in this thread.