Global switch protecting original files?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ontodva

Global switch protecting original files?

Post by ontodva » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:04 am

Is there a switch in version 4 that will prevent MM from making any change to the original music file and its folder contents? That means do not 'clean' or 'fix' tags or update them, do not alter audio, do not write images to file or folder - total hands off!
I know the Update Tags When Editing Properties switch. I need to know that there is no other way to alter my collection, and a global Total Hands Off switch is what I am looking for. If I have to flip several switches in different menus then I can't be sure that a later version would not introduce another file altering routine requiring a different switch to be flipped - there will always be that anxiety.

I am on 4.1.27 and I don't want MM to alter my collection in any way.

Lowlander

Re: Global switch protecting original files?

Post by Lowlander » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:24 pm

You need to set files to read-only in Windows (or for the Windows user MediaMonkey runs as)if you want to prevent any editing at all.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Ludek

Re: Global switch protecting original files?

Post by Ludek » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:08 pm

You can uncheck
[ ] Update tags when editing properties
and
[ ] Save missing artwork

But this still isn't guarenteed (especially when using third party addons/extensions).
Therefore the LowLander's solution to set up whole folder to 'read-only' state by Windows is more confident.

EDIT: You can also use "Party Mode" to run MM in read-only state (menu View > Party Mode) - Ctrl+Alt+M