[SOLVED] How to remove booming sound from playbacks

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Hennie de Jager

[SOLVED] How to remove booming sound from playbacks

Post by Hennie de Jager »

Some of the LP's (old) that I have recorded with MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2014 give a booming sound on playback with MediaMonkey when I listen to it with my headphones (beyerdynamic) and also to a lesser extent on my AR91 loudspeakers, where I have a Bass control on the NAD amplifier. Is there settings in MediaMonkey that I can change to lessen the booming effect? This booming is not on all my recordings - most have no booming.
Lowlander

Re: How to remove booming sound from playbacks

Post by Lowlander »

There is an Equalizer, but no method to only apply de-booming to some files.

There is: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... izer+genre
Hennie de Jager

Thank-you Highlander
Hennie de Jager

Blame my short memory - Lowlander
3dcnc

Post by 3dcnc »

Media mokey does seem to emphasize bass a little more than foobar,amazon,Google music or Windows media player. Highs and mids seem clear and controlled . Bass is a little boomy for my ears This bass does not seem to bother me in Classical, as it gives it more body. I have a Project audio digital amps and DAC. Speakers DALI.

I wish we could have a profile , that matches Foobar or Amazon more closely.

Does anyone else have this problem. I am using the paid gold version with the extra codecs.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I haven't notice it ..
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
3dcnc

Post by 3dcnc »

This might just be my ears !

My system is quite transparent - which I love. But on the down side , I can now pick up on bad recordings or other sound problems to do with speaker placement . I listen to a lot of different music , most of it is not bass heavy . Tool - Bach . Indie rock being my favourite. I took the track from Vok - waterfalls which has a lot of bass , tight on the border of being boomy. find on youtube

Playing on Youtube, Foobar , Google music sounds fine. On media monkey sounds a touch too boomy .

Solution : I discoverd this morning turn down the 125 hz on the equalizer in Media Monkey. i dont normally like to play with the EQ. I dont normally really know what I am doing.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is it the same file you're playing between the different Players, if it isn't the exact same file it may account for the difference. I've never experience MediaMonkey being too booming compared to others.

You could try the WASAPI Output Plugin set to Exclusive Mode as this bypasses equalizer and such (Tools > Options > Output Plugins) and see if it gives a better sound experience for you.
3dcnc

Post by 3dcnc »

Thanks for the reply, I will try the extension you suggested .

Yes the same file ( waterfall by Vok ) was played between foobar - no excessive boominess and MediaMonkey. The file was bought in the google play store , so we can assume it uses the same file to play on its web player - no excessive boominess. The youtube video , is a video put out by the actual band - no excessive boominess . I even tried the amazon music player - tried the track as a sample - no excessive boominess

My argument - mediamonkey should produce the same exact sound or improved from all the examples above on standard setting. I used this particular track for the test , because it use's deep base. I can hear the difference more clearly

When i talk about the excessive deep boominess in mediaMonkey - its very slight - like 5 - 8% too much in depth (My uneducated opinion ) based on my system.
Because it induces "vibration" at that level , it is annoying. Corrected by the equaliser - turning down the 125 hz

DAC - Project Prebox s2 Digital connected to computer via Hecate LT . DAC powered by ifi filtered power supply.
3dcnc

Post by 3dcnc »

For the moment.

It "seems" the WASAPI output was the problem. I had it on as default. Other output options "seem" better , will update later after testing further.

Thanks for the advice.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If WASAPI was the problem in Exclusive mode then Windows is applying gentle Loudness or EQ Normalization because WASAPI is MS way to approach BIT perfect Low latency ASIO and Kernel Sound card output methods.

Try adding http://www.happymonkeying.com/plugin.php?q=300021 and/or http://www.happymonkeying.com/plugin.php?q=300111 to MMW and see the sound output quality.

I tested on my Tascam US 2x2 and with ATH-M70x Headphones as Direct Sound really differs from WASAPI/ASIO/Kernel. Note I also Tested in AIMP and got same results.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
3dcnc

Post by 3dcnc »

Hi Pavle
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Just discovered the "configure" setting for WASAPI !

Putting in Exclusive mode - seems have also solved the "boominess" problem I had. Also seem to be getting a little more transparency and details. Thanks.
Set to 192000; 2 channels; 24 bit to match the device settings I set in windows .

With all the different options, its hard to know which is best. I am mostly playing mp3 tracks from Googleplay store @ 320 kpbs 41000 hz

I did install the kernel streaming output which also sounds good! Decided to go back to WASAPI as a default for now.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Glad that you solved it. WASAPI is native OUTPUT so I would also suggest that you stick with it. Other two are there to seek other options, but bit old and not maintained.

Happy Monkeying!
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts