Audio won't switch to headphones

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sterlingm

Audio won't switch to headphones

Post by sterlingm »

Is this a MediaMonkey issue or a windows issue?

With MM open I'm playing music through my speakers on the computer (doesn't matter if it's a notebook or desktop). I flip on the blue-tooth headphones. My computer shows that the headphones are now the default source for audio, but MM still is playing through the computer speakers.
The above is with music actively playing.

This is where it gets interesting.

I stop the track. And click the play button. Sometimes, but not often, it'll start playing through the headphones. I found that if I right click and select Play Now it'll play more often through the headphones but again not always.

I restart MM and the headphones are now available and music will play through them. I turn off the headphones and the sound immediately comes through the computer speakers.

It's failing so often now I'm just restarting media monkey every time I need to use the headphones. This is annoying and clearly a first world problem.

Why would it go one way but not the other?

Lenovo Carbon X1 (7th gen) / Happens on a desktop Custom build as well.
Windows 10
Sony MDR-XB950BT

Just thought I'd mention this behavior in case others are experiencing it also.
Thanks.
-Sterling
Lowlander

Re: Audio won't switch to headphones

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Output Plug-ins and configure the Output Plug-in. Make sure the correct Audio Device is selected.
SheriffFatman67

Post by SheriffFatman67 »

Hi guys,
had the same issue, I can switch output devices as per Lowlander's advice but I then have to restart MM to get it to work :(
Is it a known issue or am I missing something?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to try MediaMonkey 5 which should switch to whatever Windows is using as device if you set it to default/primary Audio Device in MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ing_Output

MediaMonkey 5: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

So here is what i found after having this same problem a couple of years ago, accidentally fixing it, then having the problem again recently and finding this dead end post.

I have three audio outputs on my PC running MM:

1) S/PDIF to a stereo,
2) Bluetooth headphones and
3) Speakers connected to a monitor connected to a DisplayPort.

After searching and finding this site I recalled I'd recently used the speakers (I rarely use them).

I then went into the Windows sound setting in control panel and found the default was set to the speaker so I then set the S/PDIF (#1) to be the default and now everything works fine again switching back a forth.

So it seems that when my speakers (#3) were set as the default and I connected my Bluetooth (#2) the audio would not automatically reroute to the to the Bluetooth (#2) when switching back and forth.

Not sure if it was due to type of audio connection (#3) or what but I attributed it to "probably" being a Windows issue but perhaps its MM.

No idea if this is the cause of anyone else's issues but i thought i'd share my experience.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This behavior should be resolved in MM5 viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Hi, I'm not sure if my issue is identical, but it seems similar. I recently had to reinstall windows (10) and MM (4.1.31.1919) after shutting down windows during an unexpected update :evil: Before I could switch audio outputs (speakers, various bluetooth speakers and headphones) and MM used to just instantly switch. But now it doesn't, and needs to be shut down and restarted to switch, which is annoying. There has been no hardware changes. Any advice anyone? :D Ewan
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Peke figured it out, will pass it on in case anyone else has this issue.

If, as in my case the output (Options->Player->output plugin) is set to WASAPI, changing it to DirectSound may fix the problem. It did for me, anyway. I can't remember having to change this setting before, so I guess the default must have changed.

cheers

Ewen :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It as my pleasure.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts