[SOLVED] HD change precipitates chaos

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Imaohw

[SOLVED] HD change precipitates chaos

Post by Imaohw »

A few days ago, I replaced a drive that contains my music partition with a larger HD (enlarging the music partition). I fired up MediaMonkey this evening and all the songs in the playlists were greyed out. Double clicking on a song resulted in a raped scanning through songs, seemingly trying to sort it out.

I assume this is because the drive serial# is different. Is this the problem? If so, I can easily change the number of the drive to match the old drive, but don't want to do it without knowing and possibly add to the mess.

I did have MM scan the partition, and it found and listed all the music (location shows the partition as a different and separate drive, and still lists the "old partition" with the greyed out songs), which I could live with, but it changes the 'Added' date to today. Not a deal breaker, but I'd kind of like to keep that history.

So is changing the serial# the solution? Thanks for any help.
Peke

Re: HD change precipitates chaos

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Try Backup MM.DB -> Delete newly scanned HDD -> Select 10-100 Grayed from same folder -> use file -> Locate moved/missing and point to path on new HDD and MM should find them all and offer you update of library. If yes you can do that on your collection (arm with patience as preparing to locate moved missing can Lock/freeze MM UI for some time) and you should be retaining all the statistics.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Imaohw

Re: HD change precipitates chaos

Post by Imaohw »

Hi Peke,
Thanks for your response. I decided to give changing the serial# of the partition a shot and it worked well. I did it with Partition Wizard Pro, which I already had installed. Before changing the serial, I copied and pasted the serials of each relevant partition (old music partition and new) into a text file as insurance. The process took seconds. I opened MM and all my music was again available.

Again, thanks for your help.
Peke

Re: [SOLVED] HD change precipitates chaos

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thanks for update. Not all are willing to go thru Serial# change as being afraid to loose data.

Happy Monkeying!
Best regards,
Peke
Imaohw

Post by Imaohw »

I'm not aware that such a risk exists, but have saved your method for future potential use. Always good to have an alternative. Thanks!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Risk is very small (0% if you save IDs prior to change) and usually only paid apps can do it.
Best regards,
Peke