Conversion of large database

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mithraicist

Conversion of large database

Post by mithraicist »

I have a rather huge I-tunes library - that is now behaving quite weird and has been eschewed by Apple. SO
I am looking for another app to convert my data base to that will not have me tearing my 2 hairs out and trying to braid them for a noose.
I also need all the cover art brought over -much of which I had to scan myself. Playlists and ratings, and other such things are interesting but not crucial for me to bring over.

I am running on A high sierra platform, I have 13 TB spinning - plenty of spare space. Mostly in redundant copies of stuff. Is there any practical limit to the size of the itunes library I can pull over into media monkey> Any considerations i need to look at before I attempt this ?
TIA
RIchard

Finally maybe off topic. Are there any apps that are recommended for beat count so I can mix my own using the beat count as a guide? How does Media Monkey allow for mixing ( ie by genre, by word search, by length? by sub genre?. Can it put out mp3 disks, or thumb drives, When MM plays does it use whatever is specified from the system level - ie i have 5 output devices all blue tooth enabled I would like to continue playing my tunes on. Thanks for your assist! Also FYI I am reading lots of documents and the forums, but nothing substitutes for people that have been there and done that .
oh - 10,000 albums 388 days of continuous playing 1.4 TB of active library. Ah also can the physical library be split over several disks?

Richard
Peke

Re: Conversion of large database

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Let me try to answer and split tis in few parts:
mithraicist wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm I have a rather huge I-tunes library - that is now behaving quite weird and has been eschewed by Apple.
How big of a library we are talking about?
mithraicist wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm I am looking for another app to convert my data base to that will not have me tearing my 2 hairs out and trying to braid them for a noose.
Well, I personally have 200k+ library I collected over 30 years now. MM Library is 17 Years old with its all statistics and playcounts.
mithraicist wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm I also need all the cover art brought over -much of which I had to scan myself.
That really depends on iTunes library and how much is saved in tags (thus iTunes is known not to save tags in files), but MM tries to import iTunes library. Including playlists (excluding genius playlists that are incompatible with MM format) and ratings.
mithraicist wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm I am running on A high sierra platform
For now there is no MAC version of MediaMonkey. If that is what you use.
mithraicist wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm Is there any practical limit to the size of the itunes library I can pull over into media monkey
Recently we have tested 270MB exported "iTunes Music Library.xml" file and it imported 140k of tracks including playlists and in case of problems our team can try to help you thru support to resolve any potential issues you may experience.
mithraicist wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm Ah also can the physical library be split over several disks?
MM doesn't care where files are. Mine are on NAS for safe keeping, MM5 can even use cloud services (eg. google drive, DropBox, One Drive, ...) to watch over your library.

If I missed something and left it unanswered let me know. Will be glad to correct myself.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts