Copied CD ends prematurely on playback

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

andesite

Copied CD ends prematurely on playback

Post by andesite »

When I create a CD from a playlist in the MM library, I like to play it afterwards to ensure that it has recorded correctly. However, at the moment, any copied CD that is being played ends its playback somewhere during the last track, not at the end as I would expect. When playing the CD on my stereo, the last track finishes and the repeats the last 20 seconds or so over and over - just the sort of thing I play the CD for on MM to highlight, in order to re-record if there are any errors. Does anyone else experience this proble and how can I fix it? I am using MM version 4.1.31.1919. Many thanks.
Lowlander

Re: Copied CD ends prematurely on playback

Post by Lowlander »

Are you Burning an Audio CD or Data CD?
andesite

Post by andesite »

I am burning an audio CD.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I tested on three of my drives and could not replicate.

If the problem is only on Last track, there is two possible issues:
1. Media is bad (I found that current Burn media have thinner burning layer than 10 years ago, SO I stopped using CD-R but only CD Rewritable Media (CD-RW) as they seams better quality than CD-R media)
2. You have problem with drive to burn over 650MB (74min) on a 700MB (80Min) media
3. Your drive is nearing EOL (I repurposed number of Laptop DVD-RW drives someone wanted to threw away. to be external USB drive with 3-8USD converter cable)

To test all three above you can simply use MM to burn CD and then tell MM to RIP the lats track back to PC in WAVE format and then simply play or load into any free Audio Editor to se if Audio is OK. If it is OK then issue is not with MM, if not try inser blank CD prior to start burning and lower the burn speed to lowest one as possible and if that do not help try to burn only few tracks on CD <74Min and see if that help. Finally try to replace drive with one like in my example (Each Laptop DVD Drive is locked by a single screw on a backplate in 99.99% that eject whole drive assembly without disassemble anything else and can be put back in easily or replaces with additional HDD/SSD drive).

If none helps please let us know. I also suggest to buy CD-RW for testing as you can later use it for anything else, like restore Windows Boot CD.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
andesite

Post by andesite »

@Peke - thanks for responding. I haven't yet gotten round to trying all your suggestions, but I did try playing the CD on my computer using MM just after booting, doing nothing but load the disc and starting the playback. Again, it stopped playing before the end. So I played it again using VLC and to my surprise it stopped playing at the end of the disc - there was no looping at the end.
This has me somewhat confused, but it looks to me as if MM isn't seeing the complete disk - there is obviously more on it than MM will play. Having said that I have tried 3 different players and gotten 3 different results so I am going to ask a friend to play the CD on his player and will post the result.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for taking time to test this. It is strange behavior that we can't replicate and would be great if we can get to bottom of it. Try to RIP CD instead of playing it you can use WAV as it is RAW format and easy to compare no matter what app used to RIP.
Best regards,
Peke
andesite

Post by andesite »

I got the CD back from my friend and it played correctly. I am forced to assume that I have 2 non-related problems (who said there was no such thing as a coincidence), one being the looping which seems to be a problem with my hi-fi unit and nothing to do with MM at all' and the playback problem. It looks as if MM has burned the CD correctly.
@Peke. I am assuming from your last post that you want me to create another database entry from the disk itself. I will do this and post the result. Sorry if this is rather pedantic but I want to get this right and I'm not really a "techie".
andesite

Post by andesite »

I ripped the copied CD back into the MM database. I got an "error ripping track 1" message, but when I played it from the database, there didn't seem to be any faults and it played all the way through. I just ripped the CD as it was so that the .cda files were converted to .wma files. I'm afraid that if you want me to do something else you will need to be more specific and give me instructions.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No further tests needed if tracks play OK. Rip error can be classified as non bit perfect CD burned to original one.

BURN Hint: Try burning in lower speeds eg. put blank CD before you initiate burn process in MM and it should allow you to burn slower and HiFi should stop complaining.
Best regards,
Peke
andesite

Post by andesite »

I tried burning another CD, but I got the same resukts. I am already copying at the lowest speed (8X) so I can't lower the speed any more as you sugget. It's good that the CD's themselves seem to have copied perfectly, but I still have thid rather annoying reolay problem. Ant other advice?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not sure what to say, I am unable to replicate. If CD copy Back perfectly I guess than no issues and no data loss happen, not sure where to start. Maybe a full debug log would show something if you are willing to go thru with it. If yes please open support ticket where we can get into more details.
Best regards,
Peke
andesite

Post by andesite »

@Peke. Sorry this has taken some time, thanks for all your help. I have decided not to open a new support ticket as burning CD's is something I do rarely and you have proved that the disc produced is complete - even if the playback in MM isn't.
Also, I suppose as a by-product, a flaw in the CD player in my Hi-Fi has been exposed!
Peke

Post by Peke »

andesite wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:35 am @Peke. Sorry this has taken some time, thanks for all your help. I have decided not to open a new support ticket as burning CD's is something I do rarely and you have proved that the disc produced is complete - even if the playback in MM isn't.
Also, I suppose as a by-product, a flaw in the CD player in my Hi-Fi has been exposed!
Sorry to hear that. We will continue monitoring and handling this in Ticket. Thank you for update.
Best regards,
Peke