New hard drive, duplicate songs

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

hlsmyth

New hard drive, duplicate songs

Post by hlsmyth »

Recently, one RAID hard drive went bad, so we updated both internal drives, and set up as before, same drive letter, and transferred all files to the new drive(s). By my limited understanding, MediaMonkey would see my songs in the same locations, as nothing in the original directories was changed. Upon first launch after replacement, it scanned everything as normal - BUT now there are two copies of many songs, but not all (originally 6k+ songs). One is greyed out and unplayable, the other is seen and playable. To be clear, MOST files have been duplicated, but not all (so they're lost?). These greyed out files are also the only ones that show up in my established playlists. I also only have the free version 4.1.30.1914. I've gone into Music > Files to Edit > Dead Links, but nothing shows up there. Add/Rescan has just TRIPLED the original count (at 17.5k now, but still one duplicate of each, one playable file and one greyed out old file).

From what I've gathered comparing the file paths of the greyed-out files vs working ones, it can't find the original, so imported them again (because the directories are the same as on the old drive). What I can do to fix it? (Quick way to delete greyed out files?) Is there also a quick way to update my extensive playlists, or am I looking at manual work?

Thanks in advance!
Lowlander

Re: New hard drive, duplicate songs

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey uses driveID, so instead of scanning you should've updated the driveID: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sing_Files

You can still do this, by removing the newly scanned files, which should have a drive letter, by removing the drive from Music > Location. Then you can fix the old files with the above Addon.

Dead Links only shows files on accessible drives. As the drive isn't accessible the greyed out files are not shown there.
hlsmyth

Re: New hard drive, duplicate songs

Post by hlsmyth »

Thank you for your help! I've updated to v5 since there were a few things I didn't see in v4 (and I've been putting it off). Also sprang for Gold. Everything is found and works perfectly.

Thanks again! :D