Notepad++

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife

Notepad++

Post by MMFrLife »

Is it possible to use the bold function like a regular word processor with notepad++?
Like, if I want to just highlight a word or two to make it bold.

Or, does using bold function always make everything bold?
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dtsig

Re: Notepad++

Post by dtsig »

if you are working with a text document it wont work (and I am not sure that notepad++ can work with other)
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I'm working with a .txt file and it's generally fine, it just lacks that functionality.
I'll try changing it to .ini., but I don't think it'll work. :-?

Thanks!
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Nope. Font style stays remains global. :(
😜
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Strictly speaking no plain text file supports any kind of formatting, and all of the file formats that Notepad++ can open are just plain text files with different extensions. However there is Markdown language which can be used to apply basic formatting in plain text, e.g. any piece of text encompassed by two asterisks is interpretted as bold. I could find two projects which apply Markdown language within N++:

https://github.com/Edditoria/markdown_npp_zenburn
https://github.com/Hyzual/markdown_npp

I haven't tried either of them but they are worth a look.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

That's looking pretty sweet!
Thanks.

I'll have to look into it later (I just glanced at the link pages).

Just to be clear, when you say:
rivorson wrote:Strictly speaking no plain text file supports any kind of formatting
Does that mean, even when you do something like open 'Windows Notepad" with a .txt
file, the global formatting (like bold) is only an effect created by the program and not
saved to/supported in the file itself?

One other question:
When you use "[ ]" it creates a collapsible section. If you collape all the sections and save the file, then close the file/program,
upon reopening the sections are back to being expanded. Is there a way to have any sections that are in a collapsed state when the program
is closed remain so when reopened? If that is possible, I will be soooo happy! :D
If not, watch that smiley turn into a frown in my next post. :wink:
😜
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

MMFrLife wrote:That's looking pretty sweet!
Does that mean, even when you do something like open 'Windows Notepad" with a .txt file, the global formatting (like bold) is only an effect created by the program and not saved to/supported in the file itself?
That's correct, the setting is purely for how you want Windows Notepad to display text files and it applies the formatting to all files that you open in future. The formatting is not saved to the file at all.
MMFrLife wrote:Is there a way to have any sections that are in a collapsed state when the program is closed remain so when reopened?
Not exactly, but I've found a workaround that might be suitable. You can use File --> Save Session. This will save the full collection of open tabs, your position in each file, and the state of each collapsable section. It's not perfect but it seems to be the only way
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

rivorson wrote:Not exactly, but I've found a workaround that might be suitable. You can use File --> Save Session. This will save the full collection of open tabs, your position in each file, and the state of each collapsable section. It's not perfect but it seems to be the only way
I think that might be better, as it can save an array of work with a single save (about 4 clicks). The only "slight" annoyance is when saving to the already
saved session file. With subsequent saves, it doesn't asssume it. It has to be "overwriten", accompanied by a warning, unlike saving to a single file.
No biggy, though! I can happily live with that for the sake of what I want.

I'm working on a simple file, personalized manual for my new media organizational system, including notes on the use of MM for my needs
and general reminders. I have lots of personal notes and docs regarding organization, MM usage etc.. Putting everything on one document
is a pain to look through (as I've attempted before) when referring back to it but less of a pain than having to look through many separate ones.
Collapsible sections satisfies the need for both of those worlds (including: a simplistic file/light and quick, no bloat program) into one solution.

Thanks! I'm appointing you my new notepad++ guru/mentor. :wink:
😜
MonkeyFan222

Post by MonkeyFan222 »

Notepad++ is really useful for coding, more option then simple text editor. There are more then then. I'm using bracket and happy with this editor.
I have to agree with MMFrLife that
Nope. Font style stays remains global.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

MonkeyFan222 wrote:Notepad++ is really useful for coding, more option then simple text editor. There are more then then. I'm using bracket and happy with this editor.
I have to agree with MMFrLife that
Nope. Font style stays remains global.
Yeah, if someone would just develop a text editor that had the basic font capabilities of a word processor (bold, etc.) and the collapsible brackets,
I'd be more than ecstatic!

I tried the markdown that rivorson mentioned but couldn't get it to work right.
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

Have you tried Ultraedit, Notepad2, WeBuilder, PrimalScript?

On Mac There is TextMate I personally use combination but UltraEdit is one of constants you can also check some of http://www.topbestalternatives.com/ultraedit/

There was on TextMate Win Editor that can be scripted and use TextMate. If I'm Correct it is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Text_Editor
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMFrLife

Notepad++ Vertical Select

Post by MMFrLife »

How do I move the text cursor "backwards" (not backspace) with vertical select
without it resizing back to normal size?

If I hold down the alt key and lengthen the cursor vertically,
I can move it forward by using the spacebar but that moves everything forward
creating a new space each time.....and if I try to move backwards with left arrow, the cursor
returns back to normal single-line size. :-?

If I alt+shift+left arrow, it moves it back while 'highlighting' each increment along the way.

What I want is a 'forward and back' that only moves the text cursor itself,
unlike using spacebar and backspace.
😜