What's The Best Drive/Folder In Which To Store Your Music?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

Son of Spam

What's The Best Drive/Folder In Which To Store Your Music?

Post by Son of Spam »

Currently, I have my music in a folder I had created myself called "My Music". It's in the My Documents directory.

The problem with this is that the directory path becomes extremely long, ie:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Music\Artist Name\Album Name\, etc.

So whenever I'm doing a search on MediaMonkey or any other application, I have to expand the Directory column borders just so I can see which folder it's in.

I know there's a "My Music" folder in C:\, but because it's so close to other system files, I'm reluctant to move 30 gigabytes of music so close to it.

What's the best drive and folder in which to store music. I believe some people use their D:\ drives, but on my computer that's for "HP RECOVERY". I click on it and it gives me a...

"Warning!

This area of your hard drive
(or partition) contains files used
for your PC Recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could
prevent any recovery later."

So naturally, I'm reluctant to put them in there, too.

Any advice?
Beware The Lollipop Of Mediocrity:
Lick It Once, And You Suck Forever.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

check the amount of room in your computer see if you can
buy new hard drives,

if you can then buy a new hard drive and put it in the computer.

set it up and all that stuff needed.
then make a folder on it. called my music.

use media monkey's auto organize feature to move all the songs, to the new hard drive location.

you can find the auto organize by going to the menu bar then click on the word tools then click on auto organizer.

monkey will put them there and save the new urls. to them.

monkey has little to no trouble with interal hard drives. but it seems to have some trouble with external ones?

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Son of Spam

Post by Son of Spam »

Thanks, cowboy. That actually makes a lot of sense (would probably keep the comp working smoothly and would minimize the lenth of the directory path).

An external drive right now, however, isn't on my immediate shopping list (although a 250 GB one is currently being sold by BestBuy Canada's website for $119 -- just not right now) . But I already have a 179 GB hard drive, so storage space isn't really an issue.

Basically, I want to ensure that the path is shorter and that it won't somehow interfere with any vital files.
Beware The Lollipop Of Mediocrity:
Lick It Once, And You Suck Forever.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you can use that big hard drive if you want. here is something for you to think on.

1 take that spare money in the cookie jar. buy a 20 or 40 gb hard drive.
2. take that new hard drive install it in to the computer.
move all windows system programs and files including the os.
on to the small hard drive. and any programs you know need to be along side of windows folder.

3. take all the stuff you put on the new hard drive and remove it from the old hard drive switch out the c drive to the smaller new hard drive. use that hard drive for only programs needing to be beside the windows os program.

4 use the old larger hard drive for all programs not needing to be on c drive. and the song files.
you can partition the larger hard drive to make smaller ones.
if you got it partitioned now then you can add more to it with partition magic and not destroy your current paritions.

that will give you tons of room for songs. a faster working computer because basicly only os files would be on c drive. and you could make your page file larger on c drive if you have winXp.

no need for any external hard drive that way.

5 all the above might and would need to and inculde backing up of song files and other program files on data cdroms

it would also include or might include some regesrting or okey dokey stuff from the xp, set up changing stuff from micorsoft. not sure on that it was some thing microsoft had a brainstorm and got it in the system, that you have to reup something when you change out hardware so many times i think?

i think their brain got hit by a lightining bolt when they had that brain storm.

but i use 4 hard drives on my win98 with the songs only on drive E and drive F they are on a raid card and there is no
lag time for playing them from there.

it makes it kind of warm in the small case but a good couple of cooling fans will help on that.

the above is just something to think about and how i do it.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
alanl

Post by alanl »

If you still have plenty of room on your hard disk you could just create another partition for you audio library, then you could organize it by E:\Music, E:\Audiobooks, E:\Podcasts, etc.

This also depends on how confident you feel using partition manager software. If you do go down this route make sure you back up ALL your data to DVD/CD first - a tedious job but at least you won't lose anything if you do make a mistake.