How big is you music collection? (2)

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

How big is you music collection?

You may select 1 option

View results

stuart31mm

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Post by stuart31mm »

I only have about 8GB at the mo, but looking to add to it! :)
LastDanceStudio

Post by LastDanceStudio »

I have about 1,2 mill tracks right now (I have to use 2 computers). And more to come as I complete the discos.
80% in FLAC 20% in 320CBR.
90% are tagged with cataolg number, studio, release country, lyrics and genre and about 60% are rated.
(Thank god for discogs.com and Musicbrainz.com)

I am up for the BIG task to complete all album arts and CDart with HD images to fitt to my releases, and I spend (to)much time on Fanart.TV and theAudioDb.com.
(Please have a look).

Mediamonkey is today the ONLY Mediamanager software that's up for this task (as far as I know). The funny thing is, that my XBMC is capable to manage this huge collection :P
imagehopper

Post by imagehopper »

I'm middle of everything it looks like I am once again in the average range. 15,000 is all I have, and I seen cowboy posted he lost that many in his one computer, he must have a collection.
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

160,000 at this time, I rip everything in secure read bit-perfect mode to FLAC. I digitize LP's and protected SACD from analog as follows:

playback device : Micro Seiki DD-7
phono cartridge : DENON DL-103D ORTOFON MCA-76
pre-amplifier : Transistor SS ADC : E-MU 1212m PCIe ASIO
Program-digitizer : Adobe Audition
Processing : None.

For SACD: Sony SACD player to Adobe Audition

Most LP's wind up well over 5000kbps in MM (I know insane bit rate, but you should hear them!)

On average the FLAC's show up around 800kbps in MM.

I find it kind of senseless to waste my time ripping a CD to mp3, if I'm going to spend the time why bother downgrading it? Just rip it to FLAC and if I ever want it on a portable player copy it to mp3 at that time. That takes the same amount of time and I have a lossless archive.

Playback from MM is via an advanced USB directly from the computer bus to the advanced USB interface in the shiit audio Gungner DAC, that unit has full dual phase DAC (dual DAC's fully balanced) to balanced XLR out. Next Integra controller feeding QSC power amps bi-amping modified Paradigm Reference speakers.

For headphone listening the Shiit Gungner DAC feeds the Shiit Audio Mjolner fully balanced crossfet headphone amplifier. Various AKG, Grado or Sennheiser headphones.

Shiit audio products are fantastic for their price check it out:

http://schiit.com/

For a ibrary this big I only rate my songs 4 stars or 5 stars anything unrated is either average or sucks. The only other important parameter I set is the BPM and dance Genre because am a dance instructor and DJ for dance events.

This 160,000 does not include the classical collection, which is an additional 60,000 on a separate NAS which I index with a completely different computer and copy of MM.

To date MM, even with its other faults, is the only program that can index 160,000 tracks successfully.
LastDanceStudio

Post by LastDanceStudio »

Damn, those schiit amps looks tasty :P

Yeh I totaly agree with Windcrest 77 here. Why bother rip your collection in LESS quality then Flac??
If you need MP3 for you ipod or somehing, do it on the "fly" :)
"you will never regret for high quality"

Post by Guest »

My collection would not fit in that new NSA center in Utah if all the tracks were in FLAC.
oabmarcus

Post by oabmarcus »

As of today:
13379 tracks, 410.7 GB. 99% classical,98.5% are FLACs,the rest are mp3s.
oabmarcus

Post by oabmarcus »

RabanePaco wrote:Some 6500 tracks. Mostly classical music, but I am adding some classical pop and other genres. Mostly my own CD's I ripped. I guess this is about 1/3 of my CD collection. I am still busy.

An enormous work is to normalize the tag information for classical CD's. Even in multi CD boxes you often find very different formats for each CD. Also I want the opus numbers (op., BWV for Bach, K for Mozart, etc) in front, so I easily can find works. Almost all albums also have the art work.

For editing the mp3 tags I mostly use Mp3Tag. In my opinion the best mp3 editor. I specialty like the possibility of using Regular Expressions. [The only mp3 tag editor with this possibility, as far as i know.] You can drag songs form MM, even songs form completely different albums, edit them and write them back. With the Gold option MM quickly notices the changes.

PS. How can I easily find the number of songs, albums, distribution among genres, etc?
You should consult/copy naxosmusiclibrary.com for tagging your classical collection.
snailtail

Post by snailtail »

Currently at 6.2TB - ~52,000 Albums
All MP3, All >=192K (80% are V0 or 320), All Tagged with Coverart, All Albums No Singles
Spread across 3x3TB Drives (1 for Mainstream, 1 for Electronic, 1 for Metal/Punk/Rock) and Duplicated over 4x2TB Drives, so technically my collection is 12.4Tb :D
Growing at a rate of approx 40-50Gb a week
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

Good to see some really large collections here. On iTunes forums I was just criticized for having "too much" music at 211,000 tracks collected over 30 years. Kinda reminds me of the line in Amadeus where the Emperor's inane criticism of Mozart's music was that it had "too many notes." iTunes (Windows) choked on that large library because of the ridiculous way they re-save the entire database every time you make the slightest change. Switched to MM and have never looked back for music and iPod Classic management, even though I still buy music from the iTunes Store and use iTunes to manage my iPad and iPhone. No music on those.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

sallenmd87 wrote:Good to see some really large collections here. On iTunes forums I was just criticized for having "too much" music at 211,000 tacks collected over 30 years. Kinda reminds me of the line in Amadeus where the Emperor's inane criticism of Mozart's music was that it had "too many notes." iTunes (Windows) choked on that large library because of the ridiculous way they re-save the entire database every time you make the slightest change. Switched to MM and have never looked back for music and iPod Classic management, even though I still buy music from the iTunes Store and use iTunes to manage my iPad and iPhone. No music on those.
Well to make sure you feel at home. ? What are you doing having that many songs why you, you can't possibly have so little to listen to. :) notice the difference between ipod people who are strictly for Apple players. And MediaMonkey people who need more room for music and video with a player that can handle it. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

rovingcowboy wrote:Well to make sure you feel at home. ? What are you doing having that many songs why you, you can't possibly have so little to listen to. :) notice the difference between ipod people who are strictly for Apple players. And MediaMonkey people who need more room for music and video with a player that can handle it. :)
I've been listening to it for 30 years now, so I've heard every track at least once. :) And I listen a lot to help me ignore the ringing I've had in my ears for nearly 40 years. I listen virtually every waking moment that I am not either in meetings, on the phone or watching TV. I have an office job that allows me to have music on in my office, which I only turn off when I'm on the phone or at a meeting.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

sallenmd87 wrote:
rovingcowboy wrote:Well to make sure you feel at home. ? What are you doing having that many songs why you, you can't possibly have so little to listen to. :) notice the difference between ipod people who are strictly for Apple players. And MediaMonkey people who need more room for music and video with a player that can handle it. :)
I've been listening to it for 30 years now, so I've heard every track at least once. :) And I listen a lot to help me ignore the ringing I've had in my ears for nearly 40 years. I listen virtually every waking moment that I am not either in meetings, on the phone or watching TV. I have an office job that allows me to have music on in my office, which I only turn off when I'm on the phone or at a meeting.
I have been blessed for the majority of 30 years to be either a consultant (working for myself .. pimped out to others) OR when working for someone else at least allowed to pretty much do what i want which includes working from home .. yeah (most of the time). So like you I have music on almost all of the time (except when watching videos/tv). Using MMW has allowed me to put both collections (approaching 16tb) in one piece of sw with pretty reasonable response. Although there are some things i really hope they change/enhance, it is the best product I have found on the market. Not all pretty pretty like many others, that really useful for large collections.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
AJLeibengeist

Post by AJLeibengeist »

I've been digitizing LPs as sides and have yet to break a lot of songs out, individually - as well as edit and clean them up. What I want to know from others, is with 50,000 plus items, how do you best divide the music on hard drive. I started out by artists and grouping under Folders by Letter of Alphabet - and then decided to group under genres, but it got difficult to remember where to put certain people or groups and that caused some duplication. So I'm back to thinking about having a directory of thousands of artists.
A.J. Leibengeist
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I personally put each artist - album in their own folder. My big drive is divided into Music 1-H, Music I-O, Music P-R, Music S-T and Music U-Z. Then in each are the individual artist - album.
From then on any "organization" i let the database (mmw)take care of. Trying to come up with tricky/smart locations really just becomes a pain. Rip to their folder then copy to a watched mmw folder and finally let the db organize (visually) as you want.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig