Too much time thinking on what to listen

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

Countryboy

Too much time thinking on what to listen

Post by Countryboy »

I kind of miss the days where I only had a couple of shelves of vinyl's and CD's I had to pick from.

Nowadays I feel more and more like I'm searching what I want to listen to rather than actually appreciating what I am listening to. I am no longer in the mood for playlists or random songs coming on. Regardless if on my computer or on my phone when on the move - just scrolling through thousands of songs now makes me sick. I have been purchasing/collecting music for quite sometime and on some occasion just for the sake of having a bigger or more complete library! My library is not that big compare to other people, I have 27,000 songs. Can't ever start to imagine the people that have a few hundred thousands - when can you possibly listen to so much music and really appreciate it?

I have done an exercise recently. Being that I grew in the days that you were collecting albums with your hard earned money I have created a playlist where I selected one album per artist - the album that I consider my personal classic. That's another issue when you have been following bands or artist for 30+years there are so many eras within an artist discography that's its hard to find good longevity after so many years. Even the best bands out there have had not so good period or started experimenting.... - not counting line up changes.

Anyways the point is I created a playlist with the best album in my opinion for each artist. For the last couple of weeks I have been listening to 2-3 albums a day (and listening as it was meant to be, album from start to finish) and it's just amazing how there is so much great music getting lost in the massive libraries today. So that got me thinking that I have to revisit my setup, I have to put my music library on a diet and get back to basics. I'm sure some of the older folks on here like me understand this concept.
GeraldB

Re: Too much time thinking on what to listen

Post by GeraldB »

MM makes collecting, organizing, and playing so convenient that my collection also has grown into many thousands. The basic mission is to have convenient access to music that I enjoy, so I value playlists that make it easy to cue-up favorites -- thank you for all this, Media Monkey. I agree that having hundreds (thousands?) of songs with only one or two plays feels pointless sometimes, but I don't think there's any harm, and a big collection pays off when I wake up wanting to hear some song from my high school years, or get the urge to hear songs with "moon" in the title. Thanks for the tip on choosing one great album per artist.
Can't afford a signature.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I on the other hand I as grateful when I discovered MM in 2002 and since then RIP all my CDs and EPs. Strange thing is that each time I go out I have only one thing on my mind to not forget and that is not to forget to sync my Random 20 Tracks of never play tracks and play them during my time out. Some gets skip # some get Play #, but overall I listen more different music and discover more things.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MPG

Post by MPG »

I am one of those individuals that has a large collection. I have been collecting since a teenager, worked in radio for 10 years, and continue to collect. Why? I'm looking for that long lost song that I'll never remember the name of, but will know it as soon as I hear it. It's not a specific song per se, just some song I've long forgotten. I have autoplaylists in MM that always picks songs I've never listened to in MM.

For instance, I'm currently listening to the original War Of the Worlds soundtrack. I haven't heard that album, since I bought it 30 some years ago. Wow, what a treat. Just before that, I was listening to some blues by Jeff Beck...stuff I've never heard before.... Again, what a treat. Plus, what a great musician!

Like Peke says, sometimes you get duds, but when that one song comes on....the goosebumps, the excitement....what a rush!
I always say, I have no taste in music, I love it all. As such, I never rank songs. I just listen to my collection with excited anticipation of what the next song will be.
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

MPG .. fully agree. Especially about the Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. First heard it in Munich while working there and fell in love at first hear. Now on autoDJ when one of the tracks come on I get tingles and takes me back .. Oh to be middle aged again :)
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MPG

Post by MPG »

One other thing to add. When I first started collecting, I was getting music I wanted, which is very typical. After awhile, I started getting music for other people so that when they came to visit, I had something to play that they enjoyed. I've noticed that recently, it's gone back to collecting for me. Likely due to Google Play/Spotify, there's no need for me to have a collection for other people. I can just tell Spotify to play something that I know they'll enjoy. My music tastes are far to eclectic for Spotify, hence my desire to continue with my collection. Oh and Jeff Wayne still sounds out of this world... :lol:
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Today random listened Twelve Inch Nineties - 90s Feels Like Heaven from Library backup of one Radio Station I've done few years back.

Also I listened JM Jarre Oxygen/Equinox in 5.1 DTS and Al Jarreau

So I can't agree more on above statements.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts