How to move ratings/playcount into MM from iPod?

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Jancy

How to move ratings/playcount into MM from iPod?

Post by Jancy »

MediaMoney is working with my iPod, and it can see the ratings and playcounts. But when I import the songs to the PC, it loses those items.

I know Apple puts ratings in a different place, so I need to import into the ID3 metadata. And I know MM uses its own playcounts, so I need to override that data. I just don't know how to do these things.

I have spent a week reading and searching, but haven't found how to do this part. So really appreciate the help.
Lowlander

Re: How to move ratings/playcount into MM from iPod?

Post by Lowlander »

How do you import? As Apple uses it's own proprietary system you'll need to Sync with MediaMonkey to get information back to MM.
Jancy

Post by Jancy »

I should have mentioned that iTunes has never been installed on this computer. So I am just trying to pull the song and information out, and then have MM manage things.

So, when I imported I clicked on the iPod under devices and services in MM. Then selected all songs, then used Auto Organize files to copy the songs to the computer.

I want to be careful with any sync, because I don't have a backup so if MM overwrites any info on the iPod, it will be gone forever.

Thanks for responding.
Jancy

Post by Jancy »

When I look at syncing, all I see is from library to device. I need to sync from device to library, or device to hard drive, then pull into library. So I don't see how to sync. Keep in mind my MM library is mostly blank, as it only has some songs I tried to use Auto organize to bring over, which didn't pull the ratings and play counts. And if it helps, I can delete or reset the MM library, as the goal is to get the songs from the iPod into MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Jancy

Post by Jancy »

OK, following that link and the various options.

1. From within MM I can only sync from MM to the iPod. So using "sync" I can't seem to get the iPod ratings or play counts out.
1.a This menu choice is not available - "Click Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags, so that tags of the selected files are updated to match the device’s database." Maybe this is the missing piece? If so, I don't see the option anywhere.
2. If I copy and paste, I lose the ratings and play counts since only the id3 and song get pulled.
3. If I use auto-organize I can have that put the rating and play count as part of the file name. But so far I don't see a way for MM to pull info out of the file name. I have tried a few other id3 tag programs, but no luck so far. Still searching as getting it in the file name is as close as I have gotten.

MM has a Tool to auto tag from filename, but on the list of fields I don't see rating or play count. If it did/does have these then this might work.

I find this strange, as I would think this would be a common thing to want to do, and thus a common problem with a known solution, or known that it is impossible. Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks for the help, but still stuck.