'synch' always just copies - what gives

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ezman

'synch' always just copies - what gives

Post by ezman »

i'm using a sony nwz-a818 - an mtp device...

everytime i try and synch a playlist mm just copies the whole lot again.
am i missing the point? i thought synch would check to see if the file was already there etc- is this how it works on your device?
I've checked the time/date/year on my pc in case that was set wrong....any ideas?
ezman

Post by ezman »

just checked if windows media does the same....

wmp 11 can sense if the tracks are already there and doesn't recopy....why can't MM???
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Are you pressing the synchronize button or using the Send To -> Player feature?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
wader

Post by wader »

nohitter151 wrote:Are you pressing the synchronize button or using the Send To -> Player feature?
I just noticed this symptom when synching with my COWON D2 in MTP mode - using "Send to ... (synch)" it always recopies files that currently exist on the device.

Seems to me that either hitting the button or using "Send To ... (synch)" should be efficient enough to check for existing files on the device before copying. Unless I'm missing the point of Send To ... , that is.

EDIT: I just tested autosynch and it does the same thing. Is this a device-dependent bug or possibly a common "feature" of MM?

- wader
Tyree

Post by Tyree »

Does the same thing with my Sansa and iPod. Copies them all whether they're already on there or not. It's not so bad with my 8GB Sansa, but with the 30GB iPod...well, I just go to bed and let it finish while I'm sleeping! :)

I use the autosync option.

Is there some setting to get it to stop doing that?
wader

Post by wader »

Yeah, MM is a great program but this seems an overlooked design area.

That is, If MM can be configured to delete files on the device which are not in autosynchronization lists, then we know it scours the device for files before or during a synch. Which means that it can be made smart enough to not synch already existing files.

It's both a waste of time (immediate) and memory life (long term) to keep recopying files which already exist in the expected path on a device.

Does this need to be a MM3 wishlist request or can MM2.5 be toggled with an option to avoid these blind recopies?

- wader
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Sync'ing does appear to be on area that needs some major attention.

I cannot believe there's not a nice interactive wizard to deal with all this. I would love to see a screen pop up that shows me what MM plans to do to verify what it thinks is right and be able to adjust it.

With other programs you get to see that the sync'ing is screwed up because of tagging issues, etc. It also helps build confidence that it works right. You do it and a screen pops up showing you that all 20 songs you thought should go to the iPod are going there and nothing else.

I could also see, for example, that Auto-Conversion is, or isn't enabled and that the format is or isn't correct. "Doh, it's going to sync FLAC to FLAC.... That's not right!"

My favorite interaction was to see that X number of files were going to the device and Y number of files were coming off the device. Very nice to see.
Tyree

Post by Tyree »

Hey, I like those ideas. You should add them to the MM feature request thread (if they're not there already)!

I'd definitely like more hands-on dialog during the sync-ing process. Of course, I'd like this as an option I could turn on and off. You wouldn't want dialogs popping up too much during a sync if you're trying to do something else while it's syncing. That'd be more annoying than not knowing what was going on.

Incidentally, I did some tests last night with my Sansa and iPod and MM did just sync files that had changed.

Be sure that you don't have "All Music" selected as an option for what to sync. I'm not sure, but this may make it sync everything regardless of whether it's on the device or not.

I sync a special playlist I named "Sync to Player." This gives me the control to leave some songs out if I want. With my Sansa I have to do it this way because I don't have enough space for all the music.

Definitely try turning off the "All Music" option and syncing just a few songs and see what happens.
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

They wouldn't pop up more than once at the very beginning. You look over what it's about to do, make any changes necessary and then tell it to let 'er rip.

Simple as that.
Tyree

Post by Tyree »

You've got me sold on it. :D
wader

Post by wader »

Tyree wrote:. . . Incidentally, I did some tests last night with my Sansa and iPod and MM did just sync files that had changed.

Be sure that you don't have "All Music" selected as an option for what to sync. I'm not sure, but this may make it sync everything regardless of whether it's on the device or not. . .
If you mean "Synch Entire Library" vs. "Synchronize Only The Following . . .", that doesn't make any difference for me via Autosynchronization or "Send To ... (synch)"

I'm surprised that it doesn't actually recopy all your files - that's the first I've read of it working as one might expect.

- wader
Tyree

Post by Tyree »

Yeah, sorry, got my terminology wrong. I didn't have access to MM when I wrote that. :-)

When I did the test, I had added 4 albums to the playlist and had combined a 2CD album into one album. When I synced, instead of 1600 songs, it only loaded 267.
The only thing odd I noticed was that it also loaded an artist I hadn't modified. Then I realized what I had done. I had dragged the tracks for that artist to the device when I originally loaded them instead of syncing. That put the tracks on my device with the tracks named <artist> - <track>, whereas the sync is set to load the track as just <track>. So, when the autosync looked at the device, it didn't recognize the files I had dragged over. Sure enough, when I looked at the device through Windows, I had the tracks named both ways. I just deleted the tracks I had dragged on previously and that fixed it up.

I think we're going to have to get a guru's opinion on this one. I can only speak for my Sansa and iPod. They both seem to work as you would think they should.
opie

Post by opie »

I have an MTP device also (creative ZEN) and have noticed that when I "sync" changes in ratings, some files are copied back that I haven't modified, but not the whole playlist. it's about 200 files (playlist is about 4G worth)
audio2u

Post by audio2u »

I was using a 4GB Creative Zen up until a few days (when I received an early Christmas present of a 3rd gen 8GB Nano... woohoo!), and I have found that on both devices, sync worked exactly as everyone here has described.
Tracks get recopied even if they are already on the device and already conform to naming conventions and so forth.
Add my vote for a reworking of sync execution.
I want to do something on my nano, which the current sync execution prevents... namely, I have created a playlist of, and copied across about 1300 songs which represent probably 100-odd albums. But what I'd like to do is have a 2nd playlist which is a cut down version of the complete list. But MM wants to copy those songs across a 2nd time, and even though it would just overwrite the first instance of the song (on the nano), it thinks it can't fit it all one twice.
See what I mean?
Keen to hear any poweruser's thoughts on this.
Cheers,
Bruce.
Audio2u
audio2u

Post by audio2u »

Actually, while I'm here, I have another question.
I download my podcasts manually into a folder, with a specific folder for each podcast.
And within MM, I have folder monitoring set up to watch each of those separate podcast folders, and to add any newly downloaded files to the library.
Now, what I'd like to do is to set up an auto playlist which will watch one podcast folder, keeping only 2 files in the auto playlist, and they should always be the 2 MOST RECENTLY created files. (Of course, most recently created really means 2 most recently downloaded).
However, if I use the advanced properties of the auto playlist and select "path" as one criteria (that part works fine), and "added <20 days" as the 2nd criteria, MM will populate the autoplaylist with the 2 OLDEST tracks which meet those 2 criteria.
So, just to elaborate...
Let's say I've downloaded 3 episodes of a podcast within the last 20 days, and lets say they were episodes 20, 21 and 22 of this hypothetical podcast.
Instead of the autoplaylist only showing episodes 21 and 22, it shows 20 and 21.
I've also tried using the "timestamp" criterion instead of "added", but it didn't change things.
Does anyone know how I can MM to populate the auto playlist with only the 2 most recent files?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Bruce.
Audio2u