Guide to iPod syncing

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Anonymous Vagrant

Re: Guide to iPod syncing

Post by Anonymous Vagrant »

nohitter151 wrote:
Anonymous Vagrant wrote:Yes that shouldnt happen, It will sync tracks that are played. Perhaps there is a setting in MM?
Nope, no setting. Are you certain that you haven't updated the tracks somehow? Enable the "Timestamp" column in MM, sort on it, and see if those files have recently had their timestamp updated.
Yes, after playing two three songs on ipod and later syncs with MM, the playcount on MM is updated. But the problem is when i play songs on MM, and not UPDATING THE TRACKS, the song that i played are all synced to my IPOD even though it has already been in my IPOD, thus re-copying the songs. And i don't like that. It's not making sense and lowers my ipod's lifespan. I am still looking for the button to disable this.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anonymous Vagrant wrote:
Yes, after playing two three songs on ipod and later syncs with MM, the playcount on MM is updated. But the problem is when i play songs on MM, and not UPDATING THE TRACKS, the song that i played are all synced to my IPOD even though it has already been in my IPOD, thus re-copying the songs. And i don't like that. It's not making sense and lowers my ipod's lifespan. I am still looking for the button to disable this.
I'm not talking about playcount, I'm talking about the "Timestamp" column. As I said, there is no "button" that controls this.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Anonymous Vagrant

i already said the timestamp is not the issue, its the playcount that is triggering mm to sync it with my ipod. If you play a music on MM, the timestamp does not get modified, but only when you update the tags.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anonymous Vagrant wrote:i already said the timestamp is not the issue, its the playcount that is triggering mm to sync it with my ipod. If you play a music on MM, the timestamp does not get modified, but only when you update the tags.
But timestamp is what's used to determine what needs updating. It has nothing to do with playcount.

Anonymous Vagrant

No luck. tried several settings on MM, it still keeps on updating my IPOD, has anyone has the same problem.

Or I could be wrong this whole time, MM is probably scanning the ipod instead of re-copying the files. But at the bottom of MM, it says it is copying the files.. then again...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anonymous Vagrant wrote:No luck. tried several settings on MM, it still keeps on updating my IPOD, has anyone has the same problem.

Or I could be wrong this whole time, MM is probably scanning the ipod instead of re-copying the files. But at the bottom of MM, it says it is copying the files.. then again...
Try to clear the ipod and resync everything. See if it happens after that. I have an iPod mini and iPhone and this doesn't happen for either.

Anonymous Vagrant

nohitter151 wrote:
Anonymous Vagrant wrote:No luck. tried several settings on MM, it still keeps on updating my IPOD, has anyone has the same problem.

Try to clear the ipod and resync everything. See if it happens after that. I have an iPod mini and iPhone and this doesn't happen for either.
Still no luck after clearing ipod and resyncing eveything, when you say it doesn't happen to you, do you mean that when you play a song with MM and later plug in to ur ipod/phone and it will not sync the song played? As in seeing this,

btw, i am using Ipod Nano 5G.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anonymous Vagrant wrote: Still no luck after clearing ipod and resyncing eveything, when you say it doesn't happen to you, do you mean that when you play a song with MM and later plug in to ur ipod/phone and it will not sync the song played?
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I'm not sure why this is happening to you. Do you use any addons or 3rd party plugins? Maybe you have some addon that is modifying the track somehow each time it's played.

Anonymous Vagrant

you didnt answer my question, do you see as decribed in that screenie, when you play a song with MM and later plug in to ur ipod/phone and it will sync the song? And to answer ur question, other than the three main tagging addons(musicbrainz, discogs, MusicIP) no other extensions are installed but if you count skins as addons..
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anonymous Vagrant wrote:you didnt answer my question, do you see as decribed in that screenie, when you play a song with MM and later plug in to ur ipod/phone and it will sync the song? And to answer ur question, other than the three main tagging addons(musicbrainz, discogs, MusicIP) no other extensions are installed but if you count skins as addons..
I did answer your question.

Anonymous Vagrant

well then this means that mediamonkey has compatibility issues with IPOD nano 5G. im going to try a different approach. is there a script where i can reset my playcount and recent played song? Maybe by resetting my playcount and recently played song MM won't be thinking of resyncs it with Ipod, its worth a try. can you help me with that?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anonymous Vagrant wrote:well then this means that mediamonkey has compatibility issues with IPOD nano 5G. im going to try a different approach. is there a script where i can reset my playcount and recent played song? Maybe by resetting my playcount and recently played song MM won't be thinking of resyncs it with Ipod, its worth a try. can you help me with that?
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... t=playstat

Dustin Fox

Post by Dustin Fox »

I have an old ipod classic 32 gig with 14.7 gigs of music in my library....I have media monkey gold and it synchs great but it copies all of the music in the library again instead of just the new albums that I have added so now I have 28 gigs of space being used and all of the music is now duplicated on the ipod. My question is how do I delete the extra copies of the music???? Please reply to [removed] and assign a priority to your message.
Last edited by nohitter151 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't post your e-mail address in a public place
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dustin Fox wrote:I have an old ipod classic 32 gig with 14.7 gigs of music in my library....I have media monkey gold and it synchs great but it copies all of the music in the library again instead of just the new albums that I have added so now I have 28 gigs of space being used and all of the music is now duplicated on the ipod. My question is how do I delete the extra copies of the music???? Please reply to [removed] and assign a priority to your message.
You are manually syncing your tracks which is expected to result in duplicates (i.e. "Sync selected" is checked at Tools > Sync device)

Use auto-sync instead.

Macz

Post by Macz »

I configured the Itunes, but MM shuts down everytime i plug in the Ipod???