iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

sakurakessho

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware

Post by sakurakessho »

Thank you guys so much! I'm loving it already!

I can finally sync my FLAC files to my ipod using the autoconvert and my 2.1 firmware. <3

Next time I'll make sure that its a version that the Monkey supports before I mistakingly update my ipod again.
*MM Gold as of 04.23.08*
artist_manque

Post by artist_manque »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D
hazardoussmoker

Post by hazardoussmoker »

I am waiting till it is past the beta stage. After having my iPod crash and the inability to restore it without a BSOD I am not taking any chances. Let us know when it is out of beta stage please.
cedman

Post by cedman »

just tested it with my iphone 3G - works like a charm! Thanks alot to the MM team!
msfeinstein

Post by msfeinstein »

I tried syncing and it seemed to work (MM 3.0.6.1188), but when I fired up the iPhone (v2.1), it told me that I had no content. When I started iTunes (v8.1), I get the same old "iTunes can not read the contents of the iPhone..." message. I am restoring now.

As I recall, this is the same behavior I saw under previous versions of MM.

I'll try different combinations and report back as results come in.
Last edited by msfeinstein on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

msfeinstein wrote:I tried syncing and it seemed to work, but when I fired up the iPhone (v2.1), it told me that I had no content. When I started iTunes (v8.1), I get the same old "iTunes can not read the contents of the iPhone..." message. I am restoring now.

As I recall, this is the same behavior I saw under previous versions of MM.

I'll try different combinations and report back as results come in.
I asssume you installed the new beta version of MM before trying to sync??
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
msfeinstein

Post by msfeinstein »

nohitter151 wrote: I asssume you installed the new beta version of MM before trying to sync??
Yes - I've edited my original post to make that explicit.
I've completed the restore and, after syncing applications, ringtones and video only (no music), I will try to push music via MM.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

BTW, its probably best to post results with the new plugin in the Beta testing forum.

Milka

Post by Milka »

Hello,
just installed 1188 version, but there seems to be no difference ... after connecting iPod Touch it's not found in MM and I can see iPod's content nor synchronize anything...

Any idea or hint?

Thanks a lot!
Milka
jiri

Post by jiri »

Can you see it in iTunes?

Jiri
blinkfink182

Post by blinkfink182 »

Milka wrote:Hello,
just installed 1188 version, but there seems to be no difference ... after connecting iPod Touch it's not found in MM and I can see iPod's content nor synchronize anything...

Any idea or hint?

Thanks a lot!
Milka
Milka: I had the same problem because I had previously used my iPhone in MM and had the corruption issue. I had to format and restore my iPhone before MM would detect it, but it works flawlessly now. Thanks MM Devs!!!
kool aid

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware isn't compatible with MM

Post by kool aid »

cosnet wrote:
I thought you were supposed to check device compatability before running software on it or against it, not after? Isn't that what things like support pages and forums are for? Or are they simply a place for lazy people to complain?
Well yes that is true but it looks to me that it caught the developers by surprise too, based on their response. A good company would also warn potential buyers and good software would check before it would mess up the device that it was not compatible. I admit I was so excited that something supported the iphone and I did not read the fine print but then again there were no warning labels or fine print when reading about the product. I would have to have gone to the support site to find that out. Support sites are meant for people who already have a product. Also you might be computer savvy but many people are just users and don't have the time nor desire to be a geek and so the software needs to warn or not sync. Like other applications. Are we lazy maybe but so are the developers for not doing version checking.
Anyone who is trying to use a third party application with a device made by a company such as apple (or microsoft for that matter) should be reading support pages or they're a fool. I do a lot of messing around with my portable devices (I've had many palm devices in the past) and I always make sure I know how to reset/restore a device before fooling around with it. And I always try to read enough to determine whether or not something will completely brick my device.
sakurakessho

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware isn't compatible with MM

Post by sakurakessho »

kool aid wrote:
cosnet wrote:
I thought you were supposed to check device compatability before running software on it or against it, not after? Isn't that what things like support pages and forums are for? Or are they simply a place for lazy people to complain?
Well yes that is true but it looks to me that it caught the developers by surprise too, based on their response. A good company would also warn potential buyers and good software would check before it would mess up the device that it was not compatible. I admit I was so excited that something supported the iphone and I did not read the fine print but then again there were no warning labels or fine print when reading about the product. I would have to have gone to the support site to find that out. Support sites are meant for people who already have a product. Also you might be computer savvy but many people are just users and don't have the time nor desire to be a geek and so the software needs to warn or not sync. Like other applications. Are we lazy maybe but so are the developers for not doing version checking.
Anyone who is trying to use a third party application with a device made by a company such as apple (or microsoft for that matter) should be reading support pages or they're a fool. I do a lot of messing around with my portable devices (I've had many palm devices in the past) and I always make sure I know how to reset/restore a device before fooling around with it. And I always try to read enough to determine whether or not something will completely brick my device.
Agreed.

And anyone using any third party software with an ipod or iphone should know to expect something to happen that isn't normal. Common sense there, isn't it?
*MM Gold as of 04.23.08*
Milka

Post by Milka »

Thank you, if iTunes are installed, then it's working ... but the key is to do not use iTunes (even don't have it installed)..., and without itunes it's not working - the iPod Touch is not found by MM (although it's name is displayed correctly in Remote Devices Settings)....
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Milka wrote:Thank you, if iTunes are installed, then it's working ... but the key is to do not use iTunes (even don't have it installed)..., and without itunes it's not working - the iPod Touch is not found by MM (although it's name is displayed correctly in Remote Devices Settings)....
It is possible to sync certain iPods without iTunes installed. The iPod touch, iPhone, iPod classic, and iPod nano 3rd/4th generation all require certain iTunes components to be installed to sync to them. These files are usually located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support and you could uninstall iTunes as long as you kept the files at the location above. However, there are disadvantages to not keeping iTunes – for example, you can't update the device firmware or restore it without iTunes. You will also not be able to sync pictures or video without iTunes since MediaMonkey currently does not handle these file types.