Sync'ing to a path

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

VRN

Sync'ing to a path

Post by VRN »

Hi all,

This may be trivial, but for some reason I can't find a feature allowing me to sync to a path on my PC rather than to a mobile device. I simply want to duplicate my FLAC-collection from a NAS onto my PC in MP3-format. MM Gold identifies my iPod alright and appears to be able to sync and convert on the fly. But apparently I cannot set a simple path for the sync, e.g. to somewhere on my harddrive or NAS. I don't want to do the sync'ing via my iPod, which obviously would be an option.

Best regards,

>V<
VRN

Re: Sync'ing to a path

Post by VRN »

Just thought of a "workaround" myself, namely sync'ing to a USB-device (external hard drive) and then copy the files to a directory of preference on the PC....

But if I can sync to an external (USB) hard drive, why can't I sync to an INTERNAL one (or any other selectable path, incl. network, for that matter)?

>V<
shock66

Post by shock66 »

Maybe your best bet is not to use MM at all, but something like the Microsoft SyncToy. That would be perfect for what you're trying to do, I think.
VRN

Post by VRN »

Hi All,

just came back from vacation and thought I'd try to sync to an external harddrive as I suggested myself above. However, I can't get MM to do it. I have several external USB-Harddrives and none of them are seen by MM as a device for sync'ing, whereas a memorystick shows up correctly!!!? Unfortunately the stick is way to small for the purpose. Does anyone have an idea how to get MM to see an external USB (or any other for that matter) harddrive as a sync'able mobile device?

Best regards,

>V<
kdm

Post by kdm »

I have a very similar problem. I want to sync my library of FLAC files to an Asus Eee PC in a more compressed format to take with me when I travel. I can't find any way to sync to the Eee PC directly nor to an external USB hard drive as an intermediary step.

Any suggestions?
VRN

Post by VRN »

As said, I just returned from my holidays, thus I haven't had any time to fiddle around with it again. I really wonder why MM doesn't allow you to sync to any arbitrary path or normal storage device. I can't see it should be more complicated than sync'ing to an iPod or whatever. In fact I would assume it to be easier. The problem is really frustrating and I am puzzled why it has received so little attention here. Maybe we are just ignorant and there is some obvious solution we haven't seen yet.

Anyway, currently my only idea is to find some way to trick MM to believe an external USB-drive (or the eee) is a sync'able device. Maybe this can be done, but I am not even aware of how MM identifies the devices and how it differentiates between sync'able and non-sync'able devices.

By the way, I addressed the problem over at Hydrogen Audio in this thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... =64852&hl=

There are several suggestions how to solve the problem using other programs. I haven't tried any of them yet, but maybe they are better than MM ..... (in this respect)...

Let me know if you make any progress!

>V<
kdm

Post by kdm »

The only solution I have come up with for now is to use 'Send To' which allows for conversion and can set up the correct folders. I will have to remember to do this every time I add content to the FLAC library.
VRN

Post by VRN »

Hi, thanx for the idea. I haven't tried that one. Maybe I should. Does it convert everything each time or only additions?

>V<
kdm

Post by kdm »

It converts whatever you select. I did everything in one go and will just do new files in future (I'll need to keep track of what I have added to the FLAC library) - I rarely delete anything so what I'll miss is changes to tags etc which happen pretty often. I think my solution will be to delete eveything on the Eee PC every now and then and redo the conversion.
VRN

Post by VRN »

Hi, I just had this comment:

"You can use the USBMass plugin to synchronize to a drive letter (set the drive letter on the Device Configuration tab). If you use a NAS or network location you will need to map it to a drive letter, but otherwise this works well."

in this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a

Unfortunately, I won't have time to check it the next days. Let me know if you have any success.

>V<
kdm

Post by kdm »

I've done some testing and the suggestion seems to work. What I have done so far is create a temporary directory on the Eee PC and mapped it as network drive Z, then under options, portable/audio devices configured the generic/portable audio device (plug in file d_USBMass1.dll) by setting the drive letter Z, set conversion options etc. I have then synced an album to that drive, changed tags and resynced - the tags are changed without reconversion and copying occuring. I have also deleted and added tracks and syncing works.

The only limitation I have noticed so far is that the drive (Z in my test) must be empty apart from the music files or MediaMonkey will want to delete any other files - not a problem in my case.

I shall experiment with the entire library next when I have more time.
VRN

Post by VRN »

That is way cool. Sounds like it can do exactly what we need. Thank you for testing it. I hope I'll get around to play with it during the weekend. Anyway, the idea in the other thread of having a sync-cache or a double library wouldn't be a bad addition either.

Best regards,

>V<
kdm

Post by kdm »

I have now synced the FLAC library to an MP3 library on the Eee PC. The process went well - some problems creating folders and files probably due to the wireless lan and all resolved by selecting 'retry'. The libray on the Eee PC looks exactly as it should, same number of tracks, tags all the same etc.

I made some changes to the FLAC library, added and deleted some tracks and changed some tags. Resynced and all the changes were made to the Eee PC libary.

I'm very happy with this solution.