iPod Touch Corrupted Album Art

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

nohanda

Re: iPod Touch Corrupted Album Art

Post by nohanda »

It seems to me that the album art that gets corrupted is most often the larger pictures. The ones I tried were about 500x500pixels that got corrupted. You could try changing some of the album art to larger images and see if you get the same problem.
robotherapy

Post by robotherapy »

I had this exact same problem and thanks to nohanda I believe I know the answer.

I noticed that every time I tried something new and tried syncing, the same albums would be messed up. I checked each of their album arts and they were all around 500x500. So I just changed all suspected images to 320x320 using the trixmoto Album Art Tagger 4.2 script. After clearing out the iPod and resyncing with the fixed images, all the cover art shows perfectly in both coverflow and regular album view.

Also I checked "sync album art to album folder" in the autosync options but I don't think that makes a difference.
So if anybody is working on this on the MM team maybe you can reproduce the problem now.
devnullius-0

Post by devnullius-0 »

James_t wrote:I have the same problem - all artwork is "scrambled" - mening that some albums have other albums pictures, and some pictures have half of two different albums etc..

Also, when i sync with itunes, all music gets lost. Usually gets back again after i sync with mediamonkey again, but one time I didn't and had to delete everything manully using SSH.

This is a iPhone 3G with 2.2 and latest MM. It's impossible to use MM with this firmware for me...
I had the exact same problem: all music appeared to be gone on the iPod, although MM synchronized and showed the tracks just fine. According to iTunes there was no music, but only 2GB free space (of 20...). This only happened when I added photo's (or movies) with iTunes to the iPod :s

Re-installing MM fixed that problem (upgrading the iPhone Touch software to 2.2. did NOT solve it!).

Now I only have corrupted art - that's better, isn't it? :)

Sigh. I hate Apple. I hate windows. I think I hate computers alltogether :)

Peace!

Devvie
rusty

Post by rusty »

fyi, I tested this out. Synced Album Art @ 500x500 (embedded in tag), and it displayed correctly on the iPhone (using MM beta 3.1.0.1217). If anyone else has a set of steps that can reproduce the problem please share. Thx.

-Rusty
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Do you use the auto-sync list? Try right clicking on a selection of audio --> Send to... -- > iPhone (Synchronize) to reproduce the problem.

Ever since I started using the auto-sync list I don't seem to get this issue as often. So rather than doing the above method, I now send all my music to a play list which is auto-synced with the iPhone.
ICE9

Post by ICE9 »

Im having the exact same issues with the album art on an itouch 2nd gen. all software and settings are up to date and set up correctly. seems to happen more when large libraries are synced at once. give that scenario a try along with the 500x500 large album art, MM.
Zaichik

Post by Zaichik »

I've just synched my brand new Touch with Media Monkey (it has never been used with iTunes other than to upgrade the firmware) and all the album art is mixed up. Just about every album has the wrong art or no art. I followed all the setup instructions on the MM site before I transferred my music and this was still the result. :(

EDIT: I've just tried clearing out my iPod and copying across my albums one at a time. It did the first few OK, but after about 6, it messed up.
EDIT again: I've tried following the instructions in the link shown above and it did resolve the issue with the album art. Unfortunately, each album only had one track showing on my iPod. Cue another restore and I'm now back to a full track list but messed up album art.
Zaichik

Post by Zaichik »

Weird. This afternoon I synced my iPod again and transferred another 300 songs. This time, all the album art came out correctly (all the earlier albums are still messed up, though.) The only thing I did differently was make more use of freedb to identify the albums before I ripped them and that meant I didn't need to use track/album/artist names when I tagged from the web, and I also didn't need to manually create folders on my HDD.
Zaichik

Post by Zaichik »

Is there any word on a fix for this, because it's really annoying. I'm finding that, where the album art is messed up, the album art that is displayed is different every time you play the album.

If there isn't going to be a fix, is there a way of importing a library created in MM into iTunes, preferably with all the tag information intact?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Zaichik wrote:Is there any word on a fix for this, because it's really annoying. I'm finding that, where the album art is messed up, the album art that is displayed is different every time you play the album.

If there isn't going to be a fix, is there a way of importing a library created in MM into iTunes, preferably with all the tag information intact?
There is no planned fix for this because the developers cannot reproduce the problem. If you have a reliable set of steps to reproduce this and preferentially can do it with a small number of tracks supplied with a debug log and send to the devs, I'm sure they would be happy to look at it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Zaichik

Post by Zaichik »

I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue as to how to produce a debug log (whatever that is) and, as at least some album art is corrupted every time I sync (even on the occasion I mention above as being fine, there were a few albums that were corrupted) I don't really know how I can identify under what circumstances the corruption occurs. I also don't know how to check what size the album art pics are, as referred to above, to see if it's that.

All I know is that it isn't anything to do with iTunes because my Touch was new out of the box when this first occurred last week and I haven't been using iTunes except to update the firmware. I'm also using MM 3.06.1190 and haven't changed any settings from the default, except that I'm using an external HDD to store my library.

To be honest, I'm surprised the devs can't reproduce it as it happens so easily to me.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Zaichik wrote:I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue as to how to produce a debug log (whatever that is)
Its quite simple and should only take a few minutes of your time. Many users have complained about this issue but no one has stepped up and produced any evidence of it. Here's how to do it:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Zaichik

Post by Zaichik »

Ok, if I get a chance, I will try to produce something. However, I have been doing an experiment. I cleared out my iPod and imported my library from MM into ITunes and the synced from there. The result was that less of the album art was corrupted/mixed up, but there was still quite a lot that was. This does suggest that it's not a problem with the syncing process but something that the Touch doesn't like about the album art itself.

EDIT: Just tried redoing some of the offending albums with smaller album art images in MM and then resynced them through iTunes - that might be the connection because they're now OK. I noticed that when you tried it when someone else suggested it, you weren't using the same version of MM as us - could that be why you weren't able to recreate the problem.
Zaichik

Post by Zaichik »

It's definitely the image size. I've just cleared off my Touch (again) and retagged all my albums (73 of them) in MM with images no bigger than 360 x 360 pixels, synced the whole lot (1075 songs) using MM and every one has the correct art. Hope this helps fix the problem.
Aff

Post by Aff »

I had something similar with my iRiver. It seemed to be only on some MP3s with wrong stream length in the Xing header. This can be found and fixed by http://MP3val.sourceforge.net/. It may be necessary to reassign the album art.