iPod Touch Corrupted Album Art

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

smellygirl

Re: iPod Touch Corrupted Album Art

Post by smellygirl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 am

"c) Make sure not to use both iTunes and MediaMonkey to manage audio files"

wow, what a freaking joke!

are you kidding me?

if you are going to go to the trouble of writing software to manage iPod, you really should make sure it doesn't f* up your customers' iPods on the rare off-chance that they happen to also use the default program provided by the manufacturer to manage that iPod.

stutes

Post by stutes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 am

"c) Make sure not to use both iTunes and MediaMonkey to manage audio files"
I gotta agree. Apple has made it REALLY difficult NOT to use iTunes for some things. MM is much better at managing the music (as I found out the hard way), but I still need to use iTunes to sync my calendar, my contacts and of course my apps for my iPod Touch. For these things iTunes actually does just fine, and there is no need to look to a third party. I've set iTunes to not manage music, but for some reason now using both MM to manage music and then using iTunes to manage everything else seems to corrupt the album art. I don't know how. I just know it does. Sometimes it is just simply the wrong album art, other times it is seriously messed up: not just the wrong album art, but bottom right fourth is showing in the upper left, the bottom left fourth in the upper right, and so on. Just bizzare. I seem to be able to minimize it to a degree if I sync with iTunes before I sync with MM. But it does appear to be an issue with MM, because I wasn't experiencing this problem while I was using only iTunes for a while (much to my frustration).
Version: MediaMonkey 3.1.0.1236
Syncs iPod Touch 2nd Gen (firmware 2.2) and SD cards via card reader
(Touch also syncs with iTunes on a Mac, OS X 10.5, set manage podcasts, apps, photos, contacts & calendar, but NOT music)

jparkerboy

Post by jparkerboy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:31 pm

I've had the corrupted album art issue too with my 2nd gen touch. I manage music only with MM and have synced over 2,500 files (mp3, m4a, m4p) to the device in one session with no artwork corruption issues. I have art of various sizes embedded in the tags.

The problem starts when I sync over video from iTunes, either the same day, or weeks later. The movies transfer OK, but without asking me, it starts the "determining gapless playback" phase of the sync. If I let it run until it is done, then I will have no album art when it is done. If I stop the gapless phase right away, then only a small amount of corruption sneaks in. The "art" for the videos is correct at this point, even if other album art is hosed.

My usual process is to clear off the audo files from the touch using MM, send over the video I want using iTunes, then send over the audio using MM again. Then the album art is OK, but usually the "art" for the videos is corrupt showing some art from a couple of the albums. I can sync new music, new podcasts over and over again and again and the album does not get corrupted.

So, in my mind it is easy to duplicate and shows MM does not fully undestand the touch's database format. I haven't tried the beta version of MM yet; I have the 3.0.6 version of MM.

CraigMcI

Post by CraigMcI » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:14 am

jparkerboy wrote:it[iTunes] starts the "determining gapless playback" phase of the sync. If I let it run until it is done, then I will have no album art when it is done. If I stop the gapless phase right away, then only a small amount of corruption sneaks in. The "art" for the videos is correct at this point, even if other album art is hosed.
I get this as well. Every time.
iTunes "determining gapless playback" messus up MM transferred/synced albums art.

This is the best link I've found, but I'm not sure how to get it to work:
http://i.nconspicuo.us/2006/11/16/itune ... formation/
There's an (iTunes only?) flag in the album info - "Gapless Album".
If iTunes finds this flag is off for an album, apparently it won't do the "determining gapless playback".

Does MM have this flag? I can't find it.
Can it mark music synced to the ipod with the flag, so that when I use iTunes (for non music related things) with my ipod touch it won't do the "determining gapless playback" thing?

sakya

Post by sakya » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi! :)

I also had the album art problem with my iPod touch, both with MediaMonkey and with iTunes.
I solved the problem (transfering the same exact files) using SharePod
http://www.getsharepod.com/

Give it a try. ;)

Ciaooo
Sakya

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:38 am

@all experiencing these problems -- do you use auto-conversion?

ps, please see http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 28#p202028
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

CraigMcI

Post by CraigMcI » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 am

nohitter151 wrote:@all experiencing these problems -- do you use auto-conversion?
ps, please see http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 28#p202028
Interesting. I do indeed use auto-conversion. Some 50% of my music library is in FLAC format.
BUT!
The artwork on the ipod touch is always correct (even for auto-converted FLAC files).
I have never seen any actual art corruption, only incorrectly assigned album art.
It definitely only occurs if iTunes runs "determining gapless playback", it messus up MM transferred/synced albums art.

edit: I would never even open iTunes to give it the chance to run gapless, except for this:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=38778

sakya

Post by sakya » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:45 am

nohitter151 wrote:@all experiencing these problems -- do you use auto-conversion?
I never used auto-conversion, my MP3 are converted with different tools , but the problem seems random.
I can transfer an album and get corrupted album art, retransfer it and find the album art ok, transfer another album and get corrupted album art on the album which was present on the iPod and displaying fine...

btw the problem seem to be also related to the "gapless" calculation made by iTunes: I transfered a lot of music with SharePod without any problem (all album art ok), than I opened iTunes and after the "Determining Gapless Playback" the album art were corrupted in the album list, but fine when playing a track.

Ciaooo
Sakya

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am

sakya wrote:
btw the problem seem to be also related to the "gapless" calculation made by iTunes
Yes, that's a known issue: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=107

But, I think my problem is not related to that. I have not enabled soundcheck in itunes.

CraigMcI

Post by CraigMcI » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 am

I have also deselected soundcheck in iTunes, it still runs the gapless playback check when I connect my ipod and itunes is open.
Don't know why.

sakya

Post by sakya » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:05 am

CraigMcI wrote:I have also deselected soundcheck in iTunes, it still runs the gapless playback check when I connect my ipod and itunes is open.
Don't know why.
I'm in the same situation (souncheck disabled but gapless still runs as I connect my iPod), but I think they are two different process:
souncheck is used to check the track volume, gapless playback (I think) checks the length of the track and search for silence at the start/end.

Ciaooo
Sakya

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:06 am

CraigMcI wrote:I have also deselected soundcheck in iTunes, it still runs the gapless playback check when I connect my ipod and itunes is open.
Don't know why.
Well, I'm going to try deleting everything from the phone and resyncing with MM, not opening itunes at all. that should rule out if itunes is causing it or not.

I can't say that I've ever seen iTunes calculating anything, though.

CraigMcI

Post by CraigMcI » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:13 am

nohitter151 wrote:I can't say that I've ever seen iTunes calculating anything, though.
It's sneaksy like that.

I'll cross my fingers for your retry.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:03 am

CraigMcI wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:I can't say that I've ever seen iTunes calculating anything, though.
It's sneaksy like that.

I'll cross my fingers for your retry.
Well, I retried exactly as before (except I was sure not to open iTunes) and all of the art is fine.

So, looks like iTunes is indeed the culprit.

stutes

Post by stutes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:28 am

nohitter, hate to play devils advocate, but I just experienced the same thing and came to the opposite conclusion:

Due to a misunderstanding on my part that iTunes needs to be installed for MM to recognize my iPod Touch, I uninstalled iTunes and woke up one morning to find that my Touch did not sync with MM, but in the process erased ALL the content from the iPod. Shortly after that the iPod crashed and I had to wipe EVERYTHING off the iPod, including the apps, etc. So I just recently had the opportunity to start clean.

I did do a restore on my Touch, which brought back my apps, my settings, contacts, my calendar and my photos. The Touch still had no other content: no movies, no videos, no music, no podcasts. It is a 16 GB iPod, and it was saying it had over 15 GB of free space.

I then went to MM to sync with music and podcasts. Without bringing it back to iTunes (so the content from MM never went through a "gapless playback" scan), there were quite a few songs that had mixed up album art; not just the wrong album, but the album was scrambled. And it wasn't due to conversion (which I do have set on MM), because some songs I just recently bought from Amazon were scrambled, and they are in MP3 format so there is no need to convert. It seems most of the time it shows a scrambled album art from a podcast; I can't recall if it ever has shown the album cover from another music album. But there is some consistency to it: if a track shows incorrect/scrambled album art, all the tracks from the same album show the same incorrect/scrambled album art.

One REALLY odd thing: One of the songs showed a scrambled album art from a podcast, but when I "flipped" the album art to view the track list and ratings of the album, the tiny thumbnail in the upper right was DIFFERENT than the scrambled album art that displays when showing the album art full screen. Full screen is was a scrambled podcast album, but when flipped and showing as a tiny thumbnail is was an unscrambled/normal thumbnail of an Ani Difranco album---but I was listening to They Might Be Giants.

So, from my experience, I don't think the gapless playback in iTunes is the culprit, as I never gave iTunes the chance to do a gapless playback scan and got scrambled/incorrect album covers none the less.

I'm wondering if it doesn't have to do with storing photos on my Touch. Seems as soon as I started syncing photos (using iTunes naturally) that I started to have album art issues on my Touch. But maybe that's just my imagination.
Version: MediaMonkey 3.1.0.1236
Syncs iPod Touch 2nd Gen (firmware 2.2) and SD cards via card reader
(Touch also syncs with iTunes on a Mac, OS X 10.5, set manage podcasts, apps, photos, contacts & calendar, but NOT music)