iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

yazoo

Re: iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Post by yazoo »

Same problem. Love MM but can't use it with Iphone OS 3.0. Please update asap. Thanks!
iassael

Post by iassael »

i cannot write music on my iphone :(
What can i do?
the beta dll is missing!
thnx!
abraxxa

Post by abraxxa »

@iassael: the link is case sensitive, the link one post earlier works: http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPhone.dll
rogov

Post by rogov »

Same thing as before. Music shows up in IPhone under media monkey, but not on the IPHone itself.
Is it even supposed to work? Maybe it works with OS 3.0 BETAs?
jiri

Post by jiri »

OS 3.0 isn't supported yet, we'll try to implement it soon.

Jiri
Iskondi

Post by Iskondi »

Please let me know if you'd like any help testing anything!
Thanks guys!

Iskondi
mrjazz2u@yahoo.com

Post by mrjazz2u@yahoo.com »

Hi All,

Using an iPhone 3G, just upgraded to iPhone firmware 3.0, running iTunes v8.2.0.23, running MediaMonkey v3.1.0.1256 and just installed the beta d_iphone.dll. At first I thought things were going to be ok because for the first time my playlists that I previously imported (pre-firmware 3.0) via MediaMonkey were still there after syncing through iTunes which was nice...

Then I tried to send over my "jazz" playlist via MediaMonkey and the problems began. As another user previously mentioned, the progress bar zoomed right along like everything was going fine. This particular playlist is 144 files/1.6 GB. After the progress bar completed, I was unable to see the playlist, or the artists, or any of the songs I had just ported over. I was however able to see playlist/songs browsing via MediaMonkey but the iPhone itself doesn't show them.

I then began to troubleshoot:

1.) I tried turning off the iPhone and then back on -- No dice.

2.) I tried completely turning off the iPhone (holding down power till prompted) and then back on -- No dice.

3.) I then tried resyncing with iTunes -- Funny thing... I noticed that my "Jazz" playlist was definitely being included in iTunes' "Other" category, down below, in the iTunes capacity meter. After the entire sync process concluded, iTunes then killed the playlists I mentioned at the beginning of this post. However, my "Jazz" playlist was still in there, categorized as "Other". I went back to MediaMonkey and it was telling me that all my music was still there in the iPhone.
njkode

Post by njkode »

jiri wrote:OS 3.0 isn't supported yet, we'll try to implement it soon.

Jiri
Thanks guys hope you can get it all figure out soon, No music on my phone isn't fun!
oneiro

Post by oneiro »

Ugh- I have 13.8 gigs of 'other' on my iphone- all my old music from before updating to 3.0 . . .. how can I even delete it? now i have no room on my phone, MM crashes when I look at it, and itunes doesn't acknoledge the mp3's as anything but 'other' . . . . I may have to reset my phone completely . . .
Jodi

Post by Jodi »

Ok, a quick timeline and explination to why MM doesn't work with iPhone/Touch 3.0

-Apple lock their music database with a hash, so if you change the database without updating the hash, then it ignores the database completely, and you end up with no songs and your iPhone full with "Other" data.
-The implementation was weak on 1.x versions, the workaround was published, all open source projects used it, everyone could update their iPhone. Yay!
-iPhone 2.x was released, they got rid of the weak implementation and changed the hash, everyone back to sqaure one.
-iPodHash was setup to reverse engineer the hash, but it only had one person working on it, and going was slow.
-iPodHash got bullied by apple's lawyers and got taken down, all public development stopped (you can find the website snapshot on wikileaks)
-Development for a workaround happened deep underground. I think they just copied the code that generates the hash, or hacked the iTunes dll's themselves so they could use it to generate the hash for themselves. Not too sure.
-Workaround was found, a few select programs (including MM) got the dlls, and can now update the iPhone 2.x. Yay!
-iPhone 3.x was released, the hash generation code was changed, back to square one.
Iskondi

Post by Iskondi »

Buncha no good sons of....
*Sigh* Why can't Apple leave well enough alone??

Thanks for the update,
Iskondi
Zeeno

Post by Zeeno »

If you're really desperate to sync with MediaMonkey and you've already upgraded to 3.0, it IS possible to downgrade back to 2.2.1 without any ill effects.

I don't recommend it :wink: , but it's possible.

Make sure you have a 2.2.1 backup though cause 3.0 backups aren't compatible with 2.2.1 phones and you'll be left with an empty phone after the restore.

Hope I don't get in trouble for posting this. Just trying to help anyone who wants MM syncing back and regret upgrading to 3.0.
AMG

Post by AMG »

I look forward to an update...I'm begrudgingly adding my music library to iTunes now so that I can transfer a few albums to my iPod for the weekend.

FYI, I'm using an iPod Touch (2G) 32GB with the retail 3.0 firmware.
rytanst

just spotlight it

Post by rytanst »

just run a spotlight search for one of your songs that exists as "other" as of right now. the ipod in the phone will index the collection, and BAM! all of you music is there. i just did it.

Re: just spotlight it

Post by Guest »

rytanst wrote:just run a spotlight search for one of your songs that exists as "other" as of right now. the ipod in the phone will index the collection, and BAM! all of you music is there. i just did it.
only thing is you can't sync still. it just gives you what you last had.