Music sync nightmare on Moto Droid

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

peanutsrevil

Music sync nightmare on Moto Droid

Post by peanutsrevil »

I recently snapped out of my Stockholm syndrome and realized that Apple / AT&T and the iPhone were never going to give me what I wanted in a smart phone. I dumped the iPhone, switched to Verizon and bought a Motorola Droid. Overall, I am happy with the phone. I have found that loading music and video is pretty tricky and I miss the ease of iTunes.

I am using MediaMonkey to add music from my existing iTunes library to the Droid. I have used device configuration to properly set the folders that I want to be synced. I have selected the mass storage driver. I have tagged all of my music. I have attempted a manual sync from tracks and playlists on MM to the Droid. I have been successful in adding music and playlists but I have the following problems:

1 Not all albums have cover art on the Droid after sync. They all show cover art in MM, but the art doesn't sync over to the Droid for the majority of the files. I did find out how to save album art to the track folder. After that, all of my music had cover art on the Droid but, this created problem # 2.

2 The Droid creates an individual Gallery folder for each piece of cover art that did make it thru the sync. This results in a gigantic number of one pic albums in the Gallery app which crashes the app requiring a force close. I am unable use the Gallery app to view pictures or video until I delete all of the music with album art.

3 Compilation albums, such as Movie soundtracks and "Best of the (insert decade here)" albums, all sync over as individual one hit "albums". For example, a 20 track "Best of the 90s" album will sync over as 20 individual one hit albums all titled "Best of the 90's - (song title)".

I have read thru the tutorials and the forum for an answer but everything I try fixes one thing and breaks two more. I know that successful music sync is possible. Can someone assist with info or point me to the correct forum post?
nohitter151

Re: Music sync nightmare on Moto Droid

Post by nohitter151 »

2. Sounds like a bug with the droid, unless I'm misunderstanding something
3. Make sure each track of these compilation albums have the same album artist (i.e. "Various artists")
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
peanutsrevil

Post by peanutsrevil »

nohitter,

Thanks, I tried to rename the tracks in the compilation albums to "various artists". I did this by adding "various artists" to the beginning of each artist name on the track. The track name now looks like this: "What's up: 90s alternative, Various Artists - 4 Non Blondes". In device configuration, I checked the block for "When multiple artist exists, use first value". This should have arranged the albums by album name and the first value of "Various Artists". After sync, the droid still arranges the music into one hit albums, one album per track that exists on the actual compilation album.

As for album art, the gallery FC happens when the album art is added to the track folder as a jpeg. The album art that is part of the meta data on the track does not create the problem. For tracks that don't already have album art, I cant seem to figure out how to save the album art as anything other than a jpeg in the folder. So now I'm back to artless albums and unnecessary one hit albums.

Anybody?? Help!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

peanutsrevil wrote:nohitter,

Thanks, I tried to rename the tracks in the compilation albums to "various artists". I did this by adding "various artists" to the beginning of each artist name on the track. The track name now looks like this: "What's up: 90s alternative, Various Artists - 4 Non Blondes". In device configuration, I checked the block for "When multiple artist exists, use first value". This should have arranged the albums by album name and the first value of "Various Artists". After sync, the droid still arranges the music into one hit albums, one album per track that exists on the actual compilation album.
That is not what I meant. There is an actual field in MediaMonkey called "Album artist". All tracks of an album have to have the same value written to "Album artist" otherwise it will consider the tracks as different albums. (Consider the scenario where two albums are named 'Greatest hits', the only way to differentiate the two albums is by the "Album artist").
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
peanutsrevil

Post by peanutsrevil »

Oh. I'll try that then.
peanutsrevil

Post by peanutsrevil »

Okay, I tried that and it did not work. I finally corrected the problem. In case anyone else runs into this problem, here is how I fixed it:

In device configuration, I had the folder hierarchy set to the default which was something like "\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>". This is what was creating the multiple one hit albums. I reset the folder hierarchy to "Music\<Album>\<Title>". This allows just the album and the track to appear on the Droid without duplication when the music is synced. Just make sure that your music is properly tagged. If so, the music will be arranged in an album folder and the individual tracks are contained within the album folder, each carrying the artist and title meta data.

Now, if I can just figure out how to get the album art to transfer over.
md88

Post by md88 »

I had a similar issue with a different phone. With the phone I have the album art must be 300x300 or smaller. You might check that.
peanutsrevil

Post by peanutsrevil »

md88 wrote:I had a similar issue with a different phone. With the phone I have the album art must be 300x300 or smaller. You might check that.
I didn't think of that. I have tagged a bunch of the albums and tracks with album art several times in order to try to correct the album art no show problem. I thought that duplicates were the problem so I removed the extras and kept the best looking art, which was usually way over 300 x 300. I bet that's the problem. I'll give that a try.
Tmb

Post by Tmb »

peanutsrevil wrote:Okay, I tried that and it did not work. I finally corrected the problem. In case anyone else runs into this problem, here is how I fixed it:

In device configuration, I had the folder hierarchy set to the default which was something like "\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>". This is what was creating the multiple one hit albums. I reset the folder hierarchy to "Music\<Album>\<Title>". This allows just the album and the track to appear on the Droid without duplication when the music is synced. Just make sure that your music is properly tagged. If so, the music will be arranged in an album folder and the individual tracks are contained within the album folder, each carrying the artist and title meta data.

Now, if I can just figure out how to get the album art to transfer over.
After Changing this do I have to delete my music off the droid and reload it? I tried this solution and resynced and the problem still arose. This is driving me crazy.