Any way not to synchronize songs that are already on device?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

RyanB

Any way not to synchronize songs that are already on device?

Post by RyanB »

Hi,

I use MediaMonkey to synchronize my songs on my device Samsung YP-R0.

I'm using the auto-synchronize option. And it's working.

But It does it even when the songs are already available on the device, even if it's the exact same name ...

I would like it to ignore songs that are already on the device, and to just copy songs that aren't on it.
Cause it take too much time to copy again and again the same songs ... replacing a song by the same one.

It there anyway to do avoid this please ?

Thanks.
nohitter151

Re: Any way not to synchronize songs that are already on device?

Post by nohitter151 »

It should do that already by default: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=13
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Thanks, but it say :
This generally occurs in either of the following situations:

o The tracks have been downloaded from someone who ripped

them incorrectly. To find such tracks, sort your library by

date and edit a Property so that all tracks are updated with a

correct timestamp.

o The tracks are on a file server whose clock is ahead of the

time on your machine running MediaMonkey. To correct this,

change the clock on your server so that it matches the clock

on your machine.
It does it for All my songs ! Not just some of them, but all of them. They were all taged by me.

My files aren't on a server, but they are indeed on a external hard disk. Do you think it's because of that ?
As for the tag date of the songs, they are all correct.

Maybe I don't understand what they mean by date ?

Cheers.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

What is the sync location (or "Destination") that you are syncing the tracks to? What is the actual file structure of the files on your device? Are they different?

RyanB

Post by RyanB »

nohitter151 wrote:What is the sync location (or "Destination") that you are syncing the tracks to? What is the actual file structure of the files on your device? Are they different?
No, they are the same, as I said, it replaces the other songs by this one. It's the same place, same songs, same title.
It doesn't make any duplication, but replace them everytime. But it doesn't ask me If I want to replace them ...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

RyanB wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:What is the sync location (or "Destination") that you are syncing the tracks to? What is the actual file structure of the files on your device? Are they different?
No, they are the same, as I said, it replaces the other songs by this one. It's the same place, same songs, same title.
It doesn't make any duplication, but replace them everytime. But it doesn't ask me If I want to replace them ...
No, but you didn't answer my question. Please copy paste exactly what is in the "Destination" field box. Also, look at the actual file structure of the files on the device and make sure the structure is the same.

RyanB

Post by RyanB »

This is what I said, the structure are exactly the same, that's why it is replacing them instead of making duplication, like it would do if they were not the same.

Plus, the actual files that are on the device, were put by me, using the same structure, but I used the feature "auto-organize files" instead of "synchronize". And when I use auto-organize, it's working.

But here they are, for example, this file :

On the device :

Code: Select all

F:\Music\A5.0\(1964) Chuck Berry, The Definitive Collection - 26 - You Never Can Tell
On MediaMonkey device configuration (synch tracks to)

Code: Select all

F\Music\$If(<Rating>=100,A5.0,$If(<Rating>=90,B4.5,$If(<Rating>=80,C4.0,$If(<Rating>=70,D3.5,$If(<Rating>=60,E3.0,$If(<Rating>=50,F2.5,$If(<Rating>=40,G2.0,$If(<Rating>=30,H1.5,$If(<Rating>=20,I1.0,$If(<Rating>=10,J0.5,$If(<Rating>=0,K0.0)))))))))))\(<Year>) <Artist>, <Album> - <Track#:2> - <Title>
Of corse, the 2 tags are the same, I taged them with mediamonkey before puting them in the device, using the "auto-organize" tool.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MM keeps track of which tracks are on the device using an internal DB mechanism which goes hand-in-hand with the auto-sync. If you didn't auto-sync the files in the first place, then it doesn't know the files are on the device. If you auto-organized them on there, it doesn't know they've been synced already.

RyanB

Post by RyanB »

nohitter151 wrote:MM keeps track of which tracks are on the device using an internal DB mechanism which goes hand-in-hand with the auto-sync. If you didn't auto-sync the files in the first place, then it doesn't know the files are on the device. If you auto-organized them on there, it doesn't know they've been synced already.
Ok, even though I think I already did that, but maybe it's was on other device (the same one but I deleted it one time). I'll try this and tell you.

Thank you again :)
chrisjj

Re: Any way not to synchronize songs that are already on dev

Post by chrisjj »

nohitter151 wrote:MM keeps track of which tracks are on the device using an internal DB mechanism which goes hand-in-hand with the auto-sync. If you didn't auto-sync the files in the first place, then it doesn't know the files are on the device. If you auto-organized them on there, it doesn't know they've been synced already.
FTR, this is not my experience with the USB DLL. E.g. when I switched to a clean MM.DB, I did not get the massive resync this would suggest.
Chris
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

chrisjj wrote:
FTR, this is not my experience with the USB DLL. E.g. when I switched to a clean MM.DB, I did not get the massive resync this would suggest.
This was in reference to the WMDM plugin.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

nohitter151 wrote:This was in reference to the WMDM plugin.
It appears to me that Ryan is not using that.
Chris
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

chrisjj wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:This was in reference to the WMDM plugin.
It appears to me that Ryan is not using that.
can't see why you'd think that. He didn't mention it.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

nohitter151 wrote:can't see why you'd think that.
This:
On the device :
F:\Music\A5.0\(1964) Chuck Berry, The Definitive Collection - 26 - You Never Can Tell
Chris
Anonymous Vagrant

Post by Anonymous Vagrant »

I have the same problem as chris. But my problem stems from using iPod Nano 5G. Instead of synching the whole songs, my MM sync songs that has been playing on my MM up UNTIL the last time i sync with my ipod. Is that a normal case or something is wrong with my MM. I have tried format my whole computer last month, but it's still the same. Other than that, synching is okay.