Ipod Touch Scrobbling

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

kspanks04

Ipod Touch Scrobbling

Post by kspanks04 »

I've searched these forums and the last.fm forums for a solution but I haven't found one yet. I know there are a few threads here about this so I apologize if I missed the answer. I'm trying to scrobble my ipod touch plays to last.fm. It seems people have suggested a couple things: qtscrobbler and the last.fm client. I couldn't get either to work.

I set the last.fm client to "I manually manage my iPod" and with iTunes closed I clicked Scrobble iPod, then it spat out a bunch of COM errors..."couldn't get file path for [song]..." I unplugged the ipod, played a song and reconnected it, hit "scrobble ipod" and I got only 1 error "container://Notification/Twiddly/Error/No_iPod_library_found".

Qtscrobbler couldn't recognize my ipod touch, I couldn't browse to it because Apple doesn't allow it to function like a drive. Its recognized as camera in My Computer. So it seems the only solution here would be to jail break my device to browse the device files and allow qtscrobbler to find the playcounter. I'd rather not jailbreak my ipod touch.

Anyone successful in scrobbling from their ipod touch without jailbreaking?

Thanks guys!
nohitter151

Re: Ipod Touch Scrobbling

Post by nohitter151 »

The best way to scrobble on iPod touch and/or iPhone is to do it straight from the device with the "scrobbl" app (must jailbreak).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
kspanks04

Post by kspanks04 »

Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I wonder if there'd be a way to create a playlist of songs that were listened to on a synched device in MM?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kspanks04 wrote:Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I wonder if there'd be a way to create a playlist of songs that were listened to on a synched device in MM?
Nope.

shayguitarra

Post by shayguitarra »

Came across this thread last night as I was trying to find a solution to the same problem. I'm not too keen on jailbreaking my ipod either.

I have come across a solution of sorts, although how practical it is depends on the user. There are a couple of manual scrobblers that allow you to simply enter song details yourself and submit them to last.fm. The two I've found so far are:

http://lastfmstats.livefrombmore.com/un ... scrobbler/ This is web based and you just input the information manually.

Or there is this one: http://trac.ulfurinn.net/cog-scrobbler/ which runs locally on your pc. This would be very handy for listening to whole albums. It can search Discogs and Music Brainz so you can batch submit entire albums.

Hope this is helpful.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

You'd think since iPods and iPhones support multitasking now that last.fm would release an official scrobbler app.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nohitter151 wrote:You'd think since iPods and iPhones support multitasking now that last.fm would release an official scrobbler app.
Turns out there are apps that can scrobble:
http://iscrob.com/
http://www.iscrobble.com/iscrobble-premium/

shayguitarra

Post by shayguitarra »

Excellent. I tried iscrobble before and found it quite intrusive (you seem to end up playing your music through the app rather than it just scrobbling from the ipod) and inconsistent. But iscrob looks much cleaner, so I'll give that a go.
Jon EP

Post by Jon EP »

I don't have itunes installed on my computer, so I don't think I can use iScrob, since it requires accessing the app store.

Would it be possible for a developer to develop an ipod scrobbler plugin for MediaMonkey, so that MM would access the recently played tunes on your device prior to any sync operation, and then incorporate that information into MM's own (ie. via the existing plugin) scrobbling? That's a question about whether it is possible... but, is there any motion out there to develop such a thing? Thanks!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Jon EP wrote:I don't have itunes installed on my computer, so I don't think I can use iScrob, since it requires accessing the app store.
No, you can download apps via the iPod touch/iPhone and wifi, it does not require iTunes at all.