Play Count Stopped Working

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

tonydowden

Play Count Stopped Working

Post by tonydowden »

Hi,

I synced my iPod this evening (last done 2 days ago) and the playcount has not been updated in Media Monkey. I have been listening to my iPod for a couple of hours today and also an hour or so yesterday and the playcount on the albums I was listening to has not been registered.

As far as I know I have not touched the settings in Media Monkey for ages so I haven't a clue what is happening.

Anybody had this problem and got any ideas what might be causing it?

Regards,

Tony Dowden
nohitter151

Re: Play Count Stopped Working

Post by nohitter151 »

What method do you use to sync?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
tonydowden

Post by tonydowden »

Hi,

Im not 100% sure as there seems to be so many paths to do this. I have tried clicking on the ipod symbol and then selecting each of the choices there but nothing seems to happen.

I eventually synchedby right clicking on my ipod in the system tree in the left-hand panel and then selecting auto-synch, however I did not go ahead with this as it wanted to remove everything from my ipod.

Which is the best way to synch? Can you please tell me as I do not seem to have had this problem for a long time but I cannot remember how I have been doing it (put this down to a senior moment).

Regards.

Tony
tonydowden

Post by tonydowden »

Hi again,

I should have mentioned that my problems started when I added some music to my library a couple of weeks ago which made it too large to fit onto my iPod classic (120gb). So I unchecked a number of items that I did not want to synch and this seems to have triggered a few problems.

The items that I have unchecked were removed from the iPod correctly so that part is working OK.

Another problem I have hit is that it will not transfer playlists to my iPod any longer, it says I do not have enough room for them.

Tony
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

You have to use the autosync for the playcounts to update.

tonydowden

Post by tonydowden »

Hi Nohitter,

Thanks again for your advice. I made an enquiry a while back because everytime I tried to synch MM wanted to completely erase everything on my iPod. I was told then not to use autosynch but to deo it manually.

Now I've discovered something really weird which I am not sure if it is to do with MM or not. I have found out the reason I suddenly seemed to run out of space. I have hundreds of duplicate tracks in many albums. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 copies of the same track. The only difference from the original track is that there is a long hexidecimal number appended to the end of the track.

I have a feeling that this might be tied in with the playlist problem. I wonder if when I create a playlist MM is automatically creating another copy of the track?

Don't waste too much time on this as I have recently installed some backup software and I have a feeling that it could even be this that has caused the duplicates. I am going to scan my directories and see if I can find duplicates in my non-music files.

Ever wondered where all the time has gone that computers were going to save us?

Anyway, can you help????

Many thanks,

Tony
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Yes, duplicate tracks are expected when you sync tracks manually. Rather than overwrite the previous copy, it copies it again with a different file name. That's why I always recommend to use auto-sync, as it keeps track of what is already on the device and does not resync it. If you had a problem previously with tracks being deleted, it could be because you are updating the tracks in MM on the PC (possibly by rescanning them, etc.). Turn off the startup scan and see if that helps. Another possibility is that any tracks played in MM always seem to be resynced to portable devices, but there's no fix for that yet.

tonydowden

Post by tonydowden »

Hi Nohitter,

Thank you very much for all your speedy and helpful advice, it is really very much appreciated.

I have deleted all the duplicates (2,645 tracks). It turned out to be quite easy because immediately before the hexidecimal number was the "@" sign. I just did a search for that in MM and it brought up all of the tracks. A quick scan through to check them and then a delete, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I have now re-scanned my device and all is well as far as that is concerned.

I've altered the optiuons to auto-sync immediately the device is connected. However, I've just played a couple of tracks on my iPod and re-synched and the playcount and last played are still not updating.

Any ideas what I might have set incorrectly to cause this???

Thanks again for your patience and help,

Tony
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

tonydowden wrote:Hi Nohitter,

Thank you very much for all your speedy and helpful advice, it is really very much appreciated.

I have deleted all the duplicates (2,645 tracks). It turned out to be quite easy because immediately before the hexidecimal number was the "@" sign. I just did a search for that in MM and it brought up all of the tracks. A quick scan through to check them and then a delete, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I have now re-scanned my device and all is well as far as that is concerned.

I've altered the optiuons to auto-sync immediately the device is connected. However, I've just played a couple of tracks on my iPod and re-synched and the playcount and last played are still not updating.

Any ideas what I might have set incorrectly to cause this???

Thanks again for your patience and help,

Tony
Ok, first off - you don't have to auto-sync as soon as device is connected. If you like that option, then that's great, go ahead and use it. But that isn't what I mean when I say "auto-sync". What I do mean when I say that is that you populate the auto-sync list tab in the device options and that when you do sync, you have "auto-sync" checked or you click "auto-sync", rather than select some tracks and "Send to" or "Sync selected". Just want to make that clear.

As far as updating playcount, I really can't say. I have an iPod mini and an iPhone and the playcounts seem to update just fine for me. They will only update when you sync or when you access the device in some way, eg if you click on the iPod/iPhone node in MM.

tonydowden

Post by tonydowden »

HI Nohitter,

I am now using auto synch but it still doesn't update my playcount. I only started using manual synch because of the problems I was having as I mentioned before.

I have now contacted support to see if they can come up with an answer, I really hope they do as I dread having to go back to iTunes, I really don't like it.

If I get the problem sorted I will post here and let you know what the cause was.

Once again I really do appreciate all the help and advice that you have given me.

Have a great day,

Tony Dowden
tonydowden

Post by tonydowden »

Hi Nohitter,

Hope you are well. As promised and update on my synching problem.

Support suggested that I cleared all the music off of my iPod and started afresh. I did this and all the synching is working O.K.

However, today I found out the reason that I had switched to manual synch (I couldn't remember why I had done so). I had made alterations to a large number of tracks and also deleted some albums (actually moved them off of my drive to a backup drive). When I then auto-synched MM started to synch 18,000 odd tracks (the whole content). So I right clicked on the synch bar near the bottom of the window and cancelled it. Then I clicked on autosynch again and it worked perfectly.

I think that perhaps MM wants to do a complete re-synch if there are a large number of alterations/additions/deletions. Anyway, now that I know that I can stop it and then synch again without having any problems all should be O.K.

Hope this info will be of use to you at some time.

Regards,

Tony
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

tonydowden wrote: I think that perhaps MM wants to do a complete re-synch if there are a large number of alterations/additions/deletions. Anyway, now that I know that I can stop it and then synch again without having any problems all should be O.K.
Yes, that's like I already suspected. Probably you have MM set to rescan your entire library at startup which updates the timestamp of the files and causes MM to want to resync those tracks. Probably disabling the startup scan will stop this.

Anonymous Vagrant

Post by Anonymous Vagrant »

nohitter151 wrote:
tonydowden wrote: I think that perhaps MM wants to do a complete re-synch if there are a large number of alterations/additions/deletions. Anyway, now that I know that I can stop it and then synch again without having any problems all should be O.K.
Yes, that's like I already suspected. Probably you have MM set to rescan your entire library at startup which updates the timestamp of the files and causes MM to want to resync those tracks. Probably disabling the startup scan will stop this.
How do we disable Library scanning at startup?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Options > File monitor > change 'Start up scan' column to "No"