iTunes 10.5

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ajkessel

Re: iTunes 10.5

Post by ajkessel »

Figured it out -- needed to reinstall QuickTime as well, then reboot.
John Gurin

Post by John Gurin »

Thanks, man! It works.
Tip-Ex

Post by Tip-Ex »

Works Great.

Installed all the drivers using CopyTransDriversInstaller and MM 4.0.1. Installed latest version of Quicktime (manually downloaded, Used to be part of iTunes 10.4.x installer package but no longer in 10.5.x)

Installed quicktime and it worked first time! I was searching 5 weeks straight for a solution...
Tip-Ex

Post by Tip-Ex »

Sorry..

Running Windows 7 Professional x64 and iPhone4 v4.3.2.
Used CopyTransDriversInstaller1_1013 with iTunes64Setup 10.5.2
consultant

God Help Me

Post by consultant »

LONG Time MM User and I've bragged about how superior the program is to everything out there, especially iTunes. I held off downloading MM 4 to allow for some bug fixes but pulled the trigger today and thought, might as well FINALLY update my iTunes and iPhone 4 too! Then I see the dreaded firmware incompatibility message. YIKES!

I then come to the forums and see this issue has been around since mid October! Are you kidding me?!?!?

On the download page you need to put a BIG WARNING LABEL: "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH IOS 5 and iTunes 10.whatever" If I had seen that I would have probably not upgraded. I generally give the developer the benefit of the doubt. Especially something like MM which is a superb program for the price. But to a) not clearly and overtly warn of this up front (You need to put the warning right next to the download button and links), and b) not have resolved it in almost 3 months - I think I may start using iTunes and just put a bullet in my head.

Thanks Media Monkey! You've lost MAJOR points with me at least.

Now, instead of reading a gazillion posts, can someone, maybe Media Monkey, point me at a well written page that tells me how to get it to work with the plugin without having to pull my fricken hair out. If it works, there should be some nice, easy to follow instructions that don't create issues like duplicating your music in two places! I've got 25GB of audio!

Or, can someone just at least confirm the plugin won't work properly. I want the "official" word/instructions on this! If the plug-in does work, then does the device settings (the conversion rules, etc.) work?

I can't believe this is happening. It's like reliving the old Microsoft Vista days or something. I hope this is just an overreaction from the initial SHOCK!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well it is Apple who makes iOS compatibility difficult, so if anyone should loose points it is Apple.

MediaMonkey has posted information about iOS5 compatibility: http://www.mediamonkey.com/news/2011/10 ... atibility/ and only the new MediaMonkey 4 will receive iOS5 compatibility once the developers have worked around all the barriers Apple has put up to prevent this from happening. MediaMonkey 4 also didn't break any compatibility with Apple so you didn't loose anything with the upgrade.

As linked from here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 7&p=316590 the official Forum thread for the iTunes plugin is here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713 which contains instructions in the first thread and you can ask any additional questions in the thread (you will still need to use iTunes).

MediaMonkey is working hard on iOS5 compatibility, but as with each iOS update Apple breaks prior compatibility on purpose and all third parties are affected by this. There is no documentation from Apple to go on either. Thus the situation is really unfortunate, but this is being caused by Apple. I think people need to make smarter choices and if iTunes is so bad and you're forced to use it buy a product from another vendor which offers a better overall user experience. Be it through their own software that is good or openness and compatibility with third parties that offer better software solutions. So yes, Apple may have wonderful hardware (and mobile OS), but if using it is such a pain (iTunes) I wouldn't buy it (and I haven't for this reason).
consultant

Post by consultant »

Ya I get the frustration dealing with Apple. That's why I jailbreak my devices, so I can make them work the way *I* want. But we must all realize, Apple (and most other consumer product companies) are designing products targeted and a more widespread customer demographic. I'm a firm believer in give the power user options but hide them from the novice/idiot unless some sort of Advanced Mode is enabled. Apple's philosophy in general is to CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL in order to maintain the user experience and follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple [for] Stupid). It's a shame that iTunes doesn't have some sort of Advanced Mode that can be enabled giving you functionality on par with MM. But that's why I use MM. But I'm in the minority of multimedia users being much more of a power user than your average Joe.

This plug-in might actually work out well for me as I was already using the automatic M3U playlist export feature to keep playlists on iTunes synched with MM. But to be honest I forgot why the hell I wanted to do that in the first place! LOL

As a side note:

I'm a big Google/Android fan but I don't own any of those devices simply because most of my friends and family look to me as the family tech Guru/Support guy. I find it easier to put my wife, kids, parents, etc. all on Apple devices (with exception of PCs and notebooks - way too expensive). I was one of the first few thousand people in the U.S. browsing the web on my my phone with full graphical interface many years ago. (it was painfully slow). Always had the latest greatest device and owned all the brands. But time is money and after about 25 years experience, Apple products take the least care and feeding in my experience, saving me lots of time and headache. But I'm not one of those idiots with no life that will wait in line for hours when they release a product. LOL. The 4S is a joke. I had Siri on my phone a LONG time ago, and then they remove it from the App store in order to add a selling point? But most consumers here are idiots and will buy whatever they think they need based on hype. I try not to drink the KoolAid too much. :)
Music Diva

Re: Easier said than done for some, Lowlander.

Post by Music Diva »

Android is the only current comparable OS that is open enough to use MM. WP7 uses Zune. But some choose not to go the Android route for various reasons. I actually like it, but others just don't. And I have to say iOS 5.0 is a huge improvement in terms of iOS functionality. iTunes so-called music management isa pain but the overall iOS experience is what people like. But if you are willing to move to Android, you certainly wouldn't have any problems with MM. I had to do the trick to get Android(or MM) to move the music files into the music folder like it should have to begin with, but that was it. This bug may have been fixed in 4.

Consultant, if you have trouble with or don't want to use the plug-in, try testing the Cloud sync function and arranging your songs on the iPhone, until MM is truly compatible. That's what I did because I really want native MM support. 5.1 is coming and that will mean another delay. When MM finally can work natively with iOS again, then I'll sync iDevices with it. I still edit all my tags and info in MM though.
Emufan

Post by Emufan »

consultant wrote:LONG Time MM User and I've bragged about how superior the program is to everything out there, especially iTunes. I held off downloading MM 4 to allow for some bug fixes but pulled the trigger today and thought, might as well FINALLY update my iTunes and iPhone 4 too! Then I see the dreaded firmware incompatibility message. YIKES!

I then come to the forums and see this issue has been around since mid October! Are you kidding me?!?!?
You are absolutly right! I'm very disappointed as well. Since months (you have forgotten the long beta phase of 10.5 and OS5 on top), no solutiuon for my paid lifetime MM Gold.

I think, the MM developers are working on all other things like the MM4 enhancements, to get more non-iOS-paid users, but not on the iPhone bugfixes. Otherwise no solutions over months of development time isn't understandable.

And only to blame on Apple isn't the right way for me. Perhaps the developers should have a look at CopyTrans Managera and such other tools, where the transfer should be possible - if I understand the descriptions.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Emufan wrote:
consultant wrote:LONG Time MM User and I've bragged about how superior the program is to everything out there, especially iTunes. I held off downloading MM 4 to allow for some bug fixes but pulled the trigger today and thought, might as well FINALLY update my iTunes and iPhone 4 too! Then I see the dreaded firmware incompatibility message. YIKES!

You are absolutly right! I'm very disappointed as well. Since months (you have forgotten the long beta phase of 10.5 and OS5 on top), no solutiuon for my paid lifetime MM Gold.

I think, the MM developers are working on all other things like the MM4 enhancements, to get more non-iOS-paid users, but not on the iPhone bugfixes. Otherwise no solutions over months of development time isn't understandable.

And only to blame on Apple isn't the right way for me. Perhaps the developers should have a look at CopyTrans Managera and such other tools, where the transfer should be possible - if I understand the descriptions.
MM cannot use anything from the beta (developer preview) builds of iOS or iTunes because of the terms of service made by Apple.

The devs are indeed working on iOS support, but it is not an easy thing to accomplish. There's no other program out there that can do it (Winamp, Songbird, Foobar, etc.). CopyTrans can, but that is proprietary software and they are not willing to share their knowledge, because they want people to use their program.

People seem to forget it, but there is _always_ a several month delay when new versions of iOS are released (exactly as it was when iOS 3 and iOS 4 were first released), because it takes time to figure out all the blocks and restrictions that Apple has made to lock you into using iTunes.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Emufan

Post by Emufan »

nohitter151 wrote:The devs are indeed working on iOS support, but it is not an easy thing to accomplish. There's no other program out there that can do it (Winamp, Songbird, Foobar, etc.). CopyTrans can, but that is proprietary software and they are not willing to share their knowledge, because they want people to use their program.
o.k. It's only my feeling. But as I don't see any beta-tests for that, nearly no updates on progress (last from Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 pm), outlook, forecast, ... it seems to me/shows me, that no one is working on that (at least not with the right presure/priority) and we won't see such support anymore (MM3 and MM4).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Emufan wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:The devs are indeed working on iOS support, but it is not an easy thing to accomplish. There's no other program out there that can do it (Winamp, Songbird, Foobar, etc.). CopyTrans can, but that is proprietary software and they are not willing to share their knowledge, because they want people to use their program.
o.k. It's only my feeling. But as I don't see any beta-tests for that, nearly no updates on progress (last from Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 pm), outlook, forecast, ... it seems to me/shows me, that no one is working on that (at least not with the right presure/priority) and we won't see such support anymore (MM3 and MM4).
The fact that you see no progress does not mean it has been abandoned. I'm not sure why people keep assuming that. Again, we get the same complaint posts about this with every iOS upgrade. It takes time to figure out such things. You can safely assume that it's been abandoned when you see a news post on the MM front page that says they have abandoned it.

MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

I'm trying to be patient, as I understand the MM developers are working blind here. But there is now iTunes 10.5.2 available. Does that mean that the last 3 months of work is now down the drain? It seems this time (as compared to iOS 3 and 4) Apple has really stumped us and can pump out updates before we even get the first working version of MM.

Comparably, I'm probably one of the least affected by this, as I only sync my iPhone once or twice per month, but it's still frustrating.

I think I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and upgrade to iOS5 today. The wait has just been too long to miss out on all the new features and I'm not much worse off by having to use the MM plugin to transfer. But it feels dangerously similar to going back to iTunes.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The version of iTunes is irrelevant. It's the iOS version that counts.

Emufan

Post by Emufan »

nohitter151 wrote:The version of iTunes is irrelevant. It's the iOS version that counts.
This isn't true! See my and the other first post of the problem here in the thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 97#p314477