IOS 5 and MM sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Music Diva

Re: IOS 5 and MM sync

Post by Music Diva »

I knew this would happen when 5.1 was released, I just knew it. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I have no direct information on this, so I'm just guessing that 5.1 may require a bit of rework (I trust Apple obfuscated things more in 5.1). The developers have not said anything on the subject though.
lrankine

Post by lrankine »

Well, I've decided to ditch the iTouch and free myself of the pestilence that is Apple's proprietary system. Just pulled the trigger on a Cowon J3! Hopefully this will end my MM synch heartaches and I can say goodbye to iTunes forever more! 8)
pfmac

Post by pfmac »

Feedback please? c:
lrankine

Post by lrankine »

Well, my transition to the Cowon J3 has gone well..........still getting use to it and waiting for the "playlist" issue to be addressed. But overall it's great!
pfmac

Post by pfmac »

Wasn't talking about THAT... But congratulations...
andrea_H

Post by andrea_H »

So I just purchased MM Gold and switched from droid and have a brand new iphone 4s and ipad. Just read all these docs. My heart sank as I realized that I am now perhaps stuck with itunes, which I was trying desperately to avoid. Can anyone tell me how to sync my iphone and ipad so I can transfer media? Even if I have to use itunes, is there a itunes light method that won't change the file format?
AlsoStuck

Post by AlsoStuck »

@andrea_H
I now use this to transfer to my iPhone until MM 'eventually' gets it's act together. It's free, simple to use and works like a charm.

http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php

Hope this helps.
rtraut

Post by rtraut »

AlsoStuck wrote:@andrea_H
I now use this to transfer to my iPhone until MM 'eventually' gets it's act together. It's free, simple to use and works like a charm.

http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php

Hope this helps.
Is this program capable of auto-converting while synching? Most of my files are FLAC.
andrea_H

Post by andrea_H »

@AlsoStuck, that appeared to be a great solution, but it seems I somehow have to convert all my music to itunes mp4 format or they won't transfer. It seems that I am being forced down the path of itunes. Any ideas?
pfmac

Post by pfmac »

I hate iTunes as much as you all do, I'm a complete noob at it, yet I've been using it lately. It's a huge pain but eventually it sorts it out :P
Idk, I prefered going through it than learning about some new program that I've never seen before. Hopefully it's a temporary effort :)
Antono

Post by Antono »

I postponed updating to iOS 5 until MM native sync would be restored but I couldn't hold out any longer after getting an iPad as well.

So, I installed iOS 5 and I'm currently using the Mediamonkey iTunes device plugin to have MM sync with my iDevices (http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... or-itunes/).

I think it's a great idea, it's working fine and (the best part) it's virtually future-proof!
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

Don't you have to have your music listed within iTunes to use the plug-in? Every time I do that, file names get messed up, so I no longer have iTunes scan all my music folders. I really wish native sync would come along!!!
AlsoStuck

Post by AlsoStuck »

@andrea_H
I use CopyTrans to transfer all my music in mp3 format with no problems. Make sure you're using the CopyTrans Manager(Free) piece of the software. When the browser style panel opens, use the plus and minus symbols at the top centre to add_to/remove_from the iPhone, then 'Update' on left side to complete the process. It also allows editing of tags for files on the iPhone. Works like a dream for me every time. Even allows me to add downloaded Apps, video, iBooks, etc. Basically I use iTunes to access the iStore and download to my PC. Then I use CopyTrans to update the iPhone, iPod, etc. It has yet to screw up the database/cover art, etc. unlike iTunes which seems to do that every time I synch using it.

@rtraut
It won't auto convert as far as I can see.
Antono

Post by Antono »

Music Diva wrote:Don't you have to have your music listed within iTunes to use the plug-in? Every time I do that, file names get messed up, so I no longer have iTunes scan all my music folders. I really wish native sync would come along!!!
Yeah, me too but look at the positive side: you get genius info and you get to use the remote app (oh, wait, there's already a plugin for MM that makes it work with the remote app as well).

Anyway, I don't have my music listed with iTunes. My iTunes library was empty. It only gets populated by the iTunes device plugin. The drawback here is that if you want to be 100% that no mishaps take place, you have to let the plugin create a copy of whatever is being sync'ed and that means a new folder, some extra disk space and little more time syncing.