Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Tees

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by Tees »

I've been having this problem as well, seemingly a worse version of it than everyone else as I can't get a playlist to send to my phone even if I delete the Music folder. I'm running MM 4.0.6.1501 on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine and trying to sync to a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a micro SD card in it. I have a short playlist of just 21 songs that will export just fine to a little 2GB SD card plugged directly into my computer, but if I try to send it to either the phone or the card on my phone (which are identified backwards, like for everyone else), I get a "problem while copying file" message for every single file. If I look at the phone or card using Windows Explorer, the Music folder has been created and the artist/album folders have been created inside of that, but none of the .mp3s get transferred. I'm going to try to send log files now.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try 4.0.7.1507: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 46#p350546 and if it still fails create a debug log (step 4b) with the debug version of 4.0.7.1507 and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
nebbiag

Post by nebbiag »

I've tried 4.0.7.1507. I'm using a Galaxy s2 with stock 4.04 and a 32GB card, and windows 7 professional on a 32 bit machine. I initially got the same dreaded "problem while copying file" messages that others are experiencing when I tried to sync. I noticed the device configuration in MM (under Options>Destination>Sync music files to:) was different from my prior setting, and it was using a file naming rule that was not the same as what's in my MM library. Once I switched the path/file naming rules to match (I'm now using "\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#> - <Title>", the same as MM) I was able to sync all of my music onto the s2 without a problem. And I'm syncing over 4000 songs. But I still can't get any playlists to move over. I get a few of them to show up on the s2 as .PLA files but with no content. I've updated my s2 firmware and PC USB drivers using Kies but it still doesn't fix the problem. I'm praying the Adroid App will fix this mess.
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

Same issues to report that schwinn8 lists.

1. Connect the SGS3 - It Scans the device for 30 min + (~10k songs / 50gb)
2. Synching - This seems to actually work fine, so far I had no issues
3. After Synch it gets stuck without telling me what it is doing

Happy to provide logs / run a beta build etc.

Any solution would be welcome, i think syncing should not take more than 5-10 minutes if there are only a few changes, not well over an hour when I only want to update some media ratings.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try disabling Playlist sync in the Device Profile and sync again. Does it work now?

If so it may be trying to sync PLA when M3U is supported. In that case adding M3U as supported format in the Device Profile may do the trick, if it doesn't submit a debug log as suggested a few times above.
Tees

Post by Tees »

Lowlander wrote:Try 4.0.7.1507: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 46#p350546 and if it still fails create a debug log (step 4b) with the debug version of 4.0.7.1507 and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
Tried this. Same issue. Log file submitted.
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

Lowlander wrote:Try disabling Playlist sync in the Device Profile and sync again. Does it work now?
That works. Thanks. Since I dont want to sync playlists i just kept it disabled.
Now the 3rd step is omitted.

I assume the 1st step (Synching...) can not be avoided? (Takes well over 30 minutes for me)
Are there any ways to speed this up?

Is this something on the dev teams radar?

Thanks,
Kai
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sync speed depend on how many files you're syncing, how much conversion is taking place on those files, how many cores you allowed MediaMonkey to use and how slow/fast your PC is.

If you can reproduce the same sync conditions (ie. conversion rules) in other software and have a much faster sync you should create a debug log of the MediaMonkey sync to see if something can be improved.
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

Sorry didnt phrase that right.

Its the step before synching.
After connecting the Device it shows the device in the MM browser and says : (Scanning...).
This process takes 30+ minutes.
I assume this is to identify the time stamps of the tracks on the device, to decide what does and does not need to be synched.

The Synching itself goes quickly depending on how many files are going through, but thats expected.

Its improvement of the (Scanning..) time that I would be most interested in.

I dont care much about playcounts, and could do without ratings synching.
It would be ideal if there was a quick way to simply synch files that have been changed on the desktop (time stamp) and write them to the device, without worrying about scanning the device at all.

Hope I am making sense.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For that you may want to create a debug log. The scanning can be disabled on connecting, but will happen prior to syncing in that case.
johnny340

Post by johnny340 »

I'm having the exact same issue with syncing to my S3 and not getting playlists or album artwork going to the phone. The new version 4.07.1507 didn't make any difference. Nor did anything in this thread help. Any reliable sync methods in the works?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please read next post
This thread covers a lot of solutions, which did you try? Did you try setting M3U as supported format for the device?

Also based on my experience and other topics it seems Samsung phones may have sync issues on their own (something Samsung would need to address). WMP for example failed as well for my Galaxy Note. If you can you should test with other software like WMP to sync to confirm it is only MediaMonkey having issues with your device. If that is the case try setting M3U as supported format or disabling Playlist sync and try to see if that improves things.

And if nothing works the developers would like debug logs to analyze what is causing the problems with the S3 (note your S3 may be different than other reports due to Carrier version of device and Android version installed).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When testing with 4.0.7.1507 (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 46#p350546) you need to remove the device profile (can be done prior to connected device under Tools > Options > Portable/Audio Devices) to have the change in 1507 take affect for your Galaxy S3: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9518

Can anyone confirm that this does work after removing the device profile (both phone and card if both are present).
Tees

Post by Tees »

I keep seeing mentions of "Device Profiles" on here. How do we go about getting one of those? All I see in that window is the option to import one, but where would we get one in the first place? I don't see any option to change from .pla to .m3u or any of the other settings suggested here.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll see your device(s) listed under Tools > Options > Portable/Audio Devices. If you open your device that is your Device Profile (see Title bar of new window). You can also access this in the Media Tree when the device is connected (and enabled under Tools > Options > Media Tree).

When upgrading to MediaMonkey 4.0.7.1507 you need to remove the device listed under Tools > Options > Portable/Audio Devices (both phone and card if card is inserted) and after this you can connect the device and a new Device Profile will be created. After this sync should work (no need to change PLA to M3U).