Syncing MicroSD Playing with MM4

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

TankCR

Syncing MicroSD Playing with MM4

Post by TankCR »

hey all, I keep all my music and my DB on an external drive, and then only sync 32GB to a microSD in my Surface. I then play the songs in MM4. For some reason though changes don't trigger syncing back to my DB. So if I listen to a song and the play count updates and I hit the sync button, nothing happens. Or if I change the Genre of a song on my MicroSD and hit sync, again, nothing happens... :-?
TankCR
Lowlander

Re: Syncing MicroSD Playing with MM4

Post by Lowlander »

That's not supported for simple storage devices as there is no DB keeping track of play counts and tag changes. It is supported for Android and iOS devices and may be supported if you'd sync using MediaMonkey for Metro on the Surface.
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

I am using the full version of media monkey with the MM content DB, lol.
TankCR
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You said syncing to the SD card, that means the files are out of the database.
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

ah, I did not realize that. So if I use my SD as the folder source, but Sync to MM8 instead it should do what I want? Another question on that, how do I sync to MM8 on the same machine?
TankCR
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you running MediaMonkey for Windows and MediaMonkey for Metro on the same machine? In that case you don't need to sync as you can do UPnP playback instead. This will allow you to access your MMW Library through MM8. Syncing would work pretty much the same as you'd need both to be running. I do believe you need to buy an Addon in MM8 to be able to sync (not for UPnP access though).
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

The primary issue is that I want to only use the songs on the SD card as I can't have the full drive attached all the time. The playlist I created to sync is one that should remove songs once the have a playcount change.
TankCR
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You could use MMW's Virtual CD feature which will allow you to copy selected files to the Virtual CD (a folder on the local drive) and thus allow playback of those files when the external drive isn't connected. In MediaMonkey you'll only see the external drive file and it will have it's playcounts updated when the file is played from the Virtual CD (when the drive is disconnected).

Otherwise you'll need to do MMW to MM8 sync, which I haven't tried yet.
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

I like that idea, I will give it a try!!!
TankCR
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

so I played a song on the virtual CD and its stats didn't change.
TankCR
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How do you mean?

If you copy a Library file to Virtual CD (right click, Send To > Virtual CD), disconnect the drive and play the file in MMW it should update the play count.
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

I see what you are talking about now. So I played a few songs, skipped a couple. I reconnect my drive and nothing happens, how do I get those stats to sync back to my library?
TankCR
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Play/Skip counts aren't stored in the files, they're stored in the Library only. Thus as long as you play files from the Library they're updated.

So in MMW add some files to Virtual CD, disconnect drive and in same MMW play some files (those now on Virtual CD). Play counts in MMW library should update.
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

I got it to work; however I am going to keep trying to find another option as this is extremely manual. I have to manually remove and readd music to the virtual CD ever time I want to change the songs. Maybe I will need to write some kind of script. Do you know if you can access the VirtualCD from the com objects?
TankCR