Syncing your LG G3

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

rkeesecker

Syncing your LG G3

Post by rkeesecker »

The LG G3 does not come with a user manual. Information for syncing it with media players can be found on the LG website, but with great effort. Also, the LG explanation is not written very well and is not intuitive. By the way, the instructions on this topic for the G2 are very different and irrelevant for the G3. Don't bother with that. Also #2 ... just because your G3 shows up in your Windows Explorer doesn't necessarily mean the USB MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is enabled, which is what you need. So, here is my user-friendly version for setting up the G3 for recognition in media players:

1. Slide down the "Notification Panel," i.e. top to bottom, on your G3. (This is part of the 'not intuitive' I mentioned, as who would think to look at a 'notification' component?)
2. There is a navigation sliding panel at the top. It’s not relevant to this specific issue.
3. Under that are these selection options (each has an appropriate icon):
  • a. Charging
    b. Media Device
    c. USB debugging connected (or not connected, whatever the case may be)
Tap on “b. Media Device” and you get another three options under a window heading of “PC USB Connection,” each with a radio button for your selection:
  • 1. Charge Phone
    2. Media Sync (MTP)
    3. Send images (PTP)
Tap the radio button for Media Sync (MTP) and hooray, your device shows up in MediaMonkey, Windows Media Player and probably most everything else (except for iTunes of course, which is also irrelevant because we all are getting away from or not using iTunes).
Peke

Re: Syncing your LG G3

Post by Peke »

Great tutorial, just from curiosity I investigated a little and it is also applied for number of my phones I have on disposal for testing (LG: L3 2.3.6, L5 4.1.2 ; Samsung Trend+ 4.2.2 ; Sony Tipo 4.0.4; ZTE Blade Q 4.2.2, Nexus 7 4.4.4) all had same USB Connection icon, only difference is the available options. Some even had MSC.

There is one common thing on LG devices is that they firstly connect as Installer (CD-ROM) and install USB Driver than on next connection they switch to MTP.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
rkeesecker

Re: Syncing your LG G3

Post by rkeesecker »

MMW now recognizes my LG G3, but the sync process with MMA is highly problematic. I have android 4.4.2 on the G3. Inconsistent and unexplainable and unsolvable so far. I am working with the tech support people about the many, many problems which occur. Examples: I can see tracks syncing in the runner at the bottom of the MMW screen, but they don't show up in MMA. Then they do. Then they don't. Playlist names sync is especially a problem. I finally got MMA to recognize two of the numerous playlists, but none of the others. Genres? Forget it. Delete program and reinstall on PC. Run utility to clean registry. Delete android app, including the MMA xml file, and reinstall. Nothing works.

On the other hand, android apps that work flawlessly for me when I tested them: Rocket Player, Google Music Player, doubleTwist, and the default LG G3 music app. They recognize everything they are built to recognize, be it tracks, playlists, genres, composers, etc. They work great, no hiccups. At first I worried that my PC and G3 were the problem, but that seems moot after having all these other apps work perfectly well. I prefer MediaMonkey for Android, so I will keep working with tech support and hope something gets fixed. When and if it does, I'll report back here. I'll stick with MMW, but the jury is out on sticking with MMA.

By the way, just so you know I am comparing apples to apples ... I am comparing MMA with the other apps only in respect to simply picking up what I have manually dragged into the LG external storage (SanDisk 64GB microSD) folder in Windows Explorer. Never mind MMW/MMA sync ---- MMA after re-install doesn't correctly pick up the files already in the G3 like the other apps do. Even as a stand-alone it doesn't work correctly.