Duplicates on device when the song is in multiple playlists.

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

DerekWade

Duplicates on device when the song is in multiple playlists.

Post by DerekWade »

Hey guys,

This might be answered in another thread. I ran a search before asking, but nothing came up, possibly because of my description.

TL;DR: MediaMonkey is duplicating files on my Android phone when the song is contained in two or more playlists. How to avoid this?

Body: So, I recently installed MediaMonkey after losing my iTunes library in a computer crash and not wanting to have Apple dredging my hard drive for information about my personal music choices. I like the way it interacts with my phone (Android, Samsung Galaxy S6, running whatever is the current OS. I don't pay much attention.)

I have a strange sync problem. I teach Krav Maga, and I have playlists I use in class. Many of the songs on these playlists are also used in my personal workout playlists, however, some songs I personally like are not appropriate for teaching, particularly when youth are involved (Profanity, etc.)

So, I might have two playlists that look like this:

Class List: Rock You Like a Hurricane, Last Man Standing

Personal List: Rock You Like a Hurricane, Last Man Standing, Say My Name (Adult Mix)

When I sync both lists to my phone, I am finding that it is putting two physical copies of each song that is in both lists onto my phone. Obviously this is waste of space. Using iSyncr and iTunes I did not have this problem, so I'm assuming there is probably a fix for it in MediaMonkey as well.

Has anyone encountered this issue, and/or does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks!

DW
Lowlander

Re: Duplicates on device when the song is in multiple playli

Post by Lowlander »

How (exact steps) are you syncing?
DerekWade

Post by DerekWade »

Lowlander wrote:How (exact steps) are you syncing?
Pretty much the exact steps as described in the Wiki. Either right clicking on the playlist and selecting "send to" via USB or click and drag. Both seem to end up with the same result.

Thx,

DW
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, as you're sending those specific files to the device. Use Auto-Sync instead: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... oid_device
1001WordsPhoto

Re: Duplicates on device when the song is in multiple playlists.

Post by 1001WordsPhoto »

Was this issue resolved? I have an iPhone that acts the same. If I only sync two playlists and a song is on both playlists, the song is uploaded to the iPhone twice. I have the latest official versions of media on key, apple iTunes and iOS for iPhone. Thanks.

I know this is an old post and a long shot but thought I’d try an old post rather than make a new one.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This isn't an issue when using Auto-Sync, however with some Copy methods this will happen, which is by design.
fleu

Post by fleu »

I noticed the same thing on my Smartphone.
I always use the 'sync now' button on my cellphone. Is there a solution for this? I have so many mp3 files double or triple on my smartphone

*edit*

I looked up the track on my smartphone and he renames them as followed

xxx.mp3
xxx_1.mp3
xxx_2.mp3

So he sees there's already the right file but wants to copy it anyway and renames it.