adding data CD to a database

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

fred

adding data CD to a database

Post by fred » Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:27 pm

I am wondering, is it me who cannot figure out the easy way or it is a program limitation.

I have more than 100 data CD with music. Naturally I wish to add them to a database. So far I can add them, but there is no way to associate a CD label with tunes. It is appeared that all tunes on all CDs are on the same media. Effectively when I want to play some tune from a data CD, it is impossible to find out what CD I should stick into my computer.

Is there a workaround?

jiri

Post by jiri » Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:43 pm

When you scan a CD, Songs-DB asks you if you want to assign a label to it. If you answer yes, you can enter any label you want to.

If decide later to change the label, right click the media, select properties and again enter any text you want to.

Jiri

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:22 am

Jiri,
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid I did not describe the problem properly. I tried to follow your advise. Songs-DB asks for a for a label only when it was not assigned before, i.e only when I enter my 1st CD. My second data CD goes into DB with already assigned previous label and once again media has songs from both CDs and I do not see any way to assign a label to a second CD unless use a custom field and manually enter a label there. Ideally I would like to add a new media/CD to a database, but I cannot figure out how to do so.

jiri

Post by jiri » Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:36 am

It is strange, when you insert the second CD it should look like a new CD and when you scan it a dialog for changing its label should appear. The only reason I can imagine is that both CDs have the same serial number (you can see it for example by executing DIR command in the DOS prompt). Is is true?

Jiri

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:07 am

Jiri,
Thank you for your reply.
However strange, the CDs do have the same serial number. I never bothered to check it, assuming that serial number has to be different.
Is there anything I can do to bypass this problem?

jiri

Post by jiri » Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:02 am

No, currently you cannot bypass this problem. Actually I don't see any easy way how to do it, maybe labels could be used, but still it doesn't guaranteed to be unique. :(

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:38 pm

Labels would definitely help, because I can assign them as I like

jiri

Post by jiri » Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:57 pm

Yes, but on an already burnt CD labels are not necessarily unique. Serial numbers are very unlikely to be duplicated.