[SOLVED] MM replaces .mp3 files with .m3u files on sync??

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

pxc3580

[SOLVED] MM replaces .mp3 files with .m3u files on sync??

Post by pxc3580 »

MM sync is driving me crazy. Endless problems, and always some kind of new issue... I wonder why I still use this to sync my library sometimes.

Here is my latest problem:

- I sync library to my phone (everything is synced)
- I listen to any song that is synced to the library locally on my pc
- On the next phone sync, any song i listened to, the .mp3 is replaced with a .m3u file.

What could possibly be going on??
Lowlander

Re: MM replaces .mp3 files with .m3u files on sync??

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMW and what device are you syncing to?

M3U are Playlist files and would not contain any Audio. This means that if an MP3 were replaced with an M3U file that it would no longer play.
pxc3580

Post by pxc3580 »

Correct, I sync my phone to add to new files. The files are added. I re-scync sometime later to add new files. Then when I check my phone songs that used to be there were missing. When I examine the "music" folder on my phone i see that the missing files which previously were .mp3 are now .m3u files

I have no idea how that's even possible, but it happens for all tracks that I listened to on my PC between syncs to the phone.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and submit to support@mediamonkey.com: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=12&t=69
Buck.Murdock

Post by Buck.Murdock »

Also having the same problem.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Same instruction, capture it in a debug log so that the developers can look at why this is happening.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Have had the same problem. Hope to have a bit more information on it soon. Is this more of a MMA problem than MMW?
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's the question as it may be something else as well, see discussion here as well: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=97476
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: I have been solving this with user IanRTaylorUK in the past, but he can no longer replicate the issue (formatting SD card according to his words helped). Based on his logs it was not MM4/MM5 creating the M3Us.

Could you please check whether the MP3 is exchanged to M3U immediatelly after playback in MMA -- or only during sync with PC ?
And if this somehow happens during sync with PC (MM4/MM5) then please submit the debug log for analyzing (as we are unable to replicate the issue).
Thanks!
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Ludek,

Correct, I have not been able to replicate since removing some apps from Android and formatting the SDXC cards.

I am fairly certain the problem is on the Android side and happens during sync rather than after.

Have repeatedly tested synching over days since 2271 was released and so far Zero M3Us with 0 bytes.

My test is ~11.8k MP3 files from 742 playlists or about 60 GB each time. I sync then add / change a few files then re-sync so that files on the SDXC card should get updated.

So for me (so far) format the SDXC card and sync is the solution. Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor
pxc3580

Re: [SOLVED] MM replaces .mp3 files with .m3u files on sync??

Post by pxc3580 »

The problem occurs during syncing. It happens to anything I've played on Media Monkey on my computer between syncs to my phone.
pxc3580

Post by pxc3580 »

Why is this marked solved??? this is not solved!!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

You could catch this in debug log and submit like LowLander suggested above, but I have been already solving this issue with IanRTaylorUK and his logs has proven that it was not MMW that was changing the MP3 to M3U. It was an app on Android side:
Correct, I have not been able to replicate since removing some apps from Android and formatting the SDXC cards.

I am fairly certain the problem is on the Android side and happens during sync rather than after.

It happens to anything I've played on Media Monkey on my computer between syncs to my phone.
Are you sure that this is the trigger? Do you play the files from the phone in MMW (MediaMonkey for Windows) or the original files that were already copied to the device? Does this happen during USB sync or Wi-Fi sync or both ??
surfnet

Syncing to Android Phone

Post by surfnet »

When I connect my Android phone to my PC, MM is set to autosync (has been since I got the phone 2-years ago). Always has worked without an issue, until recently! It happened a few weeks ago, but I didn't spend time looking at the issue, just re-synced and moved on. However, last night when it synced I noticed that the autosync had converted all my MP3 files to M3U files? This renders all my music useless on my phone. I clicked the manual sync button and it seems to be copying all the MP3 files back to the phone, but trying to understand why the autosync would be spending hours converting all the files to a different file type to begin with. Sorry, tried to post an image from a box link, but it will not let me.
surfnet

Post by surfnet »

Well, while my search of the Forum didn't turn up anything prior to my original posting, I see the moderator found a similar thread to place it within. Now reading that this issues isn't unique to me, and seeing the other items, I just wanted to add some additional information:

This is all recent, as I haven't had any issues with syncing in the past couple years I have had the Samsung Galaxy 10+ phone. It has had the same 512 microSD card and I have used MM on both my PC and my Android phone since. All are up to date versions.

The files that were converted to M3U were almost all of them (10K+). Even files I haven't listened to on the device at any time since they were added there. Last night, when this happened and I noticed this happened, the MM on my PC was performing differently, i.e. it was utilizing nearly all of the processor power and as it synced, the status message as it changed from song to song was stating most of the time "converting" though I honestly didn't watch it to see the full message at the time.

Not sure what it was converting, but in retrospect in the morning when nearly all the files were M3U, makes me wonder! I tried manually syncing after the automatic sync finally finished over night. Some MP3 files were added (leaving the M3U files as well), but not all (really just a handful). In frustration and the need to have my music portable, I deleted all the music folders on the card through windows explorer. I started MM on the PC and it auto-synced about 7600 of the almost 11K I have. Not sure why it only did 7600 (which is what it showed in the process bar in MM) when all nearly 11K songs are shown in MM and chosen to sync with this device.

Not sure there has been a definitive cause identified or solution to this issue based upon the posts. Can someone help me understand what has started happening and what to do to fix it? I didn't pay for these products to not be able to utilize them properly! Thank you!