Files missing from playlists when syncing to Android

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Waltorious

Files missing from playlists when syncing to Android

Post by Waltorious »

Hello,

I've been having problems with syncing from MMW to MMA for a while now, mostly with playlists. I'm currently using version 4.1.30.1914 of MMW, and version 1.4.2.0938 of MMA, on a Samsung Galaxy S20+. I sync using a USB-C cable.

The problem is that after syncing, my playlists on MMA will be missing some tracks. For example, one playlist is 1064 tracks on MMW, but after my latest sync it only has 929 on MMA. But this is unreliable; sometimes after sync it might have 1020 tracks on MMA, then after the next sync it will have 954, etc. The number keeps changing, but it's never quite the full amount. Some smaller playlists which are not updated often will copy correctly and remain correct, but others that I add new tracks to often will never quite sync correctly. It seems to have particular problems with the very first track on the playlist, which is rarely there on MMA. As an example, I made a new playlist with 92 tracks in MMW, for the first few syncs it showed up on MMA with ~60 tracks, but which ones were missing would change each sync. Finally, it got up to 91 tracks on MMA and has been stable since then. The missing track is the very first one. But most of my playlists are NOT stable, changing the number of tracks every time I sync.

I haven't been able to extensively check exactly which files are missing. I do know that sometimes tracks have been missing from the MMA library altogether, e.g. an album will only contain 2/3 of the tracks it should have, but that was on an earlier version of MMA and that issue MIGHT have been fixed. But the playlist problem has been persistent even after updates to both MMW and MMA. Just to be clear, my library on MMW works perfectly and always has the correct numbers of tracks on all playlists, and all tracks for every album included.

Any suggestions would be very welcome! I really like Media Monkey except for this issue, it's pretty much the only thing keeping me from shelling out for a Gold upgrade. Thanks in advance for any help!
Peke

Re: Files missing from playlists when syncing to Android

Post by Peke »

Hi,
After you sync with USB start WiFi Sync to see if playlists numbers are corrected?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Waltorious

Post by Waltorious »

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried WiFi sync before, since it's only available on a trial basis for non-Gold users. Is there a reason to expect that WiFi Sync will work better?

When syncing with USB, the process usually takes some time, often pausing for so long that I get an "error" message in MMW saying the sync appears to be frozen, but if I wait it will eventually resume. It seems to copy files in batches before pausing for a while again. At the end it syncs the playlists and always pauses for several minutes at least after the last playlist has synced. Then, if I open MMA on my phone, it will spend a long time (10 - 30 minutes?) to scan the library and update things.

I assume that after all that is done, I should try the WiFi sync and see if it corrects the playlists?

Thanks again, any help is greatly appreciated.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Waltorious wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm Is there a reason to expect that WiFi Sync will work better?
WiFi sync uses our own metadata sync format and directly update MMA library so it is not limited to standards put by others.
Waltorious wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm I assume that after all that is done, I should try the WiFi sync and see if it corrects the playlists?
Yes, this is the way.
Best regards,
Peke
Waltorious

Post by Waltorious »

Hello,

OK, I tried using the Wifi Sync via the limited time trial. It brought up a pop-up message in MMW asking me if it was OK for the remote device to sync, and I clicked "yes". Then it proceeded to copy 595 files to my device (it looked like many of them were tracks that were already on the device? But this seems to happen with USB sync too). When it was done I had a summary message saying that it had copied those files and updated 8 playlists, but there was also an error message saying something like "connection refused by remote host, please verify that the host has giving permission for WiFi sync". The playlists in MMA are still incorrect.

I'm not sure what to try next, any advice? Thanks!
Waltorious

Post by Waltorious »

UPDATE:

I added some new music to my MMW library and put some of the tracks on a few different playlists, then tried WiFi sync again. This time, it only copied the files I'd just added, and it updated the playlists I added them to, and those playlists updated properly in MMA! But, the other playlists that I didn't touch are still wrong on MMA. Is there a way to force the WiFi sync to sync playlists even if they haven't been updated since the last sync? Or do I need to e.g. manually add a track to all those playlists, sync again, then remove that track, and sync again?

If I can get those other playlists to update properly, it looks like WiFi sync will actually work the way I want!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
There is two ways to do that:
1. Delete affected playlists from Playlist folder and resync over WiFi which should sort them
2. In ⋮ -> Options disable Update playlist from other apps and resync

If problem happen again please it is suggestable to disable that option and let MMA handle playlists
Best regards,
Peke
Waltorious

Post by Waltorious »

Option 2 seemed easier, so I disabled that option and did WiFi sync again. This fixed some of the playlists but not all of them. For the ones that were still incorrect in MMA, I deleted the playlists from my device and did WiFi sync again, and now all the playlists are there and correct!

Thanks for your help with this, I never would have suspected that WiFi sync would work differently than USB sync. It's much faster too.

So, long term it looks like I need to buy the WiFi sync upgrade on my device. It looks like this is an MMA-specific purchase? Would it be included in a purchase of MediaMonkey Gold, or is Gold only for MMW?
AnsgarGorgor

Post by AnsgarGorgor »

I had the same issues since the latest update to MM 4.1.30.1914 on Win10 latest release (long time user, gold license). Some playlists get updated after changes others don't.

The only workaround for me so far is to drag the saved playlist into the emptied "play now" section and save it as playlist under the same name. Then the sync over WI-FI works fine.

P.S. Off topic here: Still need to start the sync on Android first, then to close MM on Win and restart it again to get Android forced to find the server.
------------------------
Windows 11 Home
MM4 = 4.1.31.1919 (lifetime license since .... can't remember :wink: )
MM5 = 5.0.4.2675 (lifetime license)
MMA = 1.4.5.0960 (on Android devices)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
AnsgarGorgor wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:14 am P.S. Off topic here: Still need to start the sync on Android first, then to close MM on Win and restart it again to get Android forced to find the server.
There is no need to do that every time you want to sync, you need to do it only once as when you see correct MMW server LONG TAP on server name and select Save. That will tell MMA to first check server on saved settings and then try to search for it if no response is received.
Best regards,
Peke
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

Another way to force the WIFI sync of playlists is to change them in MMW, e.g. by adding a song or changing the name of the playlist.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Luckysky

Post by Luckysky »

Waltorious wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm The problem is that after syncing, my playlists on MMA will be missing some tracks. For example, one playlist is 1064 tracks on MMW, but after my latest sync it only has 929 on MMA. But this is unreliable; sometimes after sync it might have 1020 tracks on MMA, then after the next sync it will have 954, etc.
Thank you, Waltorious, for your post :) . I am having exactly the same issue. And sometimes, when a playlist 1 has synced fully (lets say it has 100 tracks), after creating a new playlist 2 and trying to sync only this playlist 2 to my phone (Galaxy S20), this process may also affect to not-selected playlists (and, in this example, playlist 1 has all of a sudden only 90 tracks on my phone).

Has anyone another suggestion how to solve this sync-issue when using a USB-C cable?

Here more information what I have tried:
1) Downloaded MediaMonkey for Windows on my PC (4.1.30.1914) and the App on my phone
2) Created some playlists
3) Connecting the PC and the phone via USB-c cable
4) Within Media-Monkey (PC) in the left bar ("Media Tree"), I have chosen "Galaxy S20 Card" and then the tab "Auto-Sync (-->Device)"
5) Clicked on APPLY and then AUTO SYNC. Then a box appears saying "Auto-Sync (Confirmation)" where I have de-select everything (as I dont want to sync data from my phone to the PC). Then I clicked on CONTINUE.

The result is, as mentioned, that tracks are missing (not all tracks are in the playlist). Is there a way to sync all tracks with a USB-c cable?

Thank you for any help :D