"Sync is complete", but it's not? Not syncing an album I replaced

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Mikey1969

"Sync is complete", but it's not? Not syncing an album I replaced

Post by Mikey1969 »

Hi all,

I added an album to my MM server, classified it to sync with my phone, synced, and then realized two files were missing. I deleted the whole album off of MM on the server, and re-synced the phone to see if it would delete from there. It didn't, so I deleted manually. Now, I've copied the album back over, Auto-Tagged the music, and then tried to re-sync with the phone. It keeps telling me that sync is complete, but y phone has no Elton John album on it. What am I missing here? It's not downloading an album that is tagged for my phone, and I'm not sure what I've missed here.
Mikey1969

Re: "Sync is complete", but it's not? Not syncing an album I replaced

Post by Mikey1969 »

Oh I should mention, Windows 10 for the server and Android 11 on a PIxel 4XL. Both software versions are up to date.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Mikey1969 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pmIt's not downloading an album that is tagged for my phone
How is it tagged for your phone? All files on the Album need to be included on the Sync list selection to be synced to the device.
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

It's tagged the way that I have the rest tagged. It's entirely possible that I have this set up wrong, but it works for my phone currently as well as some other devices in the home. I have the sorting set under 'Classification'. anything tagged "Mike" in Classification should go to my phone. Everything with my wife's name syncs to her phone, and everything with my daughter's name goes to her iPod...

Like I said, it could just be me setting it up wrong and getting lucky up to this point.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So, do you have an AutoPlaylist or Collection based on Criteria a classification = Mike selected to be synced to the device.
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

No, mine's pretty no-frills. I've told it to sync to 'Mike Music'. I don't even make playlists on the server, only on the phone itself.

So:
  • I upload music to the computer
    I Clean up the tags, artwork, etc. with the 'Auto-Tag From Web' option
    I select the files, and add classification as needed
    I sync the phone
Haven't gotten more technical than that yet, because it works. At least until I need to delete files. Last time I tried anything with a syncing error, my only solution was to delete MM, delete all 70 GB of music, reinstall, and re-sync, but that can take forever, so I wanted to avoid it, if possible.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then how is MediaMonkey selecting what should be Synced? This is done in the Sync List, but how would MediaMonkey automatically include the new files? Either an AutoPlaylist or Collection would be required for that as they can do this automatically based on tags.

You may want to read: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Tracks/5.0 It explains Sync (for MediaMonkey 5, but 4 is mostly the same).

AutoPlaylists explained: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ylists/5.0
Collections explained: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _Rules/5.0
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

Oh, it syncs everything classified as "Mike", but I'll go thru those pages and see if I need to set it up differently.

In the meantime, any idea if it would work for me to uninstall MM on my phone, then reinstall, let it bring in the music I already have, and then try the sync again? Is there some kind of library file that I would have to manually delete from the phone? This would get it running while I try and figure out what I configured wrong.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMW defines what is synced, however you haven't been able to explain how you select the files to be synced, so it's not possible to determine why the files don't sync.
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

OK. I created a Collection called 'mike'. I told it to look in Classification Field 1 for 'mike'. I then assign all items inside of the 'Mike Music' collection to sync to the phone. I separate names by commas in the classification field, so some songs will sync just to me, some to myself and my wife, some just for my wife, etc. It's been a working solution so far.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That should work if the Collection Mike is selected to be Synced.

Are the files showing in this Collection as expected in MMW?
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

OK, I think I solved it! They weren't showing in the Collection in MMW. I rescanned files just in that collection, they showed up and synced to my phone. Never had to do that extra rescan before, but that solved it. Thanks for your help! :D
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then the files were probably not in the MediaMonkey Library. When using the My Computer node the files shown may not be in the MediaMonkey Library or if you add files from File Explorer to the Now Playing they also may not be in the MediaMonkey Library.
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

Good to know. Thanks again for the help, and thanks for the other times that you have assisted me. These are great support forums, something that is less and less common these days.