Playlist transfer to Sony NW-A45 duplicating songs.

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ZillaZilla

Playlist transfer to Sony NW-A45 duplicating songs.

Post by ZillaZilla »

Hi. I've had a search through the forums and online for the solution to my problem but with no success.

I've recently got a Sony NW-A45 player to plug into my HiFi at home. I've got about 109GB of music so I'm keeping the music stored on an internal SD Card.

I don't sync (I'm taking sync to mean the device mirrors the MM library and subsequent changes to the MM library are made to the device on connection) the library but drag and drop my computers music folder to the SD card which works fine.

But I do use Media Monkey to make and copy playlists to the SD Card.

I already do this with a Sony Xperia mobile phone and right clicking the playlist and sending to the phones SD card results in the m3u file being created in a folder called "Playlist" on the phones SD card. The phone then has the playlist which can be played fine and everything works as expected.

The same action on the SD Card of the NW-A45 creates the playlist - with music - (I know a lot of people ask about empty playlists being created) but also re-creates the files of the music used in the playlist in new folders on the SD card. This is problematic as my SD Card is nearly at capacity and having every song from a long playlist duplicated will quickly fill the card.

The phone's SD card simply seems to create an m3u file with paths to the required songs that already exist on the card.

A short two song playlist sent to both SD Cards

Phone SD card m3u opened with Notepad;

../Music/A/Hi-Fi Serious/06 A - Starbucks.m4a
../Music/A Camp/A Camp/01 A Camp - Frequent Flyer.m4a

NW-A45 SD Card m3u opened with notepad;

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:198,A - Starbucks
A - Hi-Fi Serious\06 A - Starbucks.m4a
#EXTINF:202,A Camp - Frequent Flyer
A Camp - A Camp\01 A Camp - Frequent Flyer.m4a

The "A - Hi-Fi Serious" and "A Camp - A Camp" are the folders created on the card when transferring the playlist.

The NW-A45 Destination directory is set as \MUSIC\ as anything else results in no playlist file at all.

The NW-A45 SD Card has the NW-A45 Device profile downloaded from Media Monkey and applied to it but I was having the same problem before and after the application of the profile.

Is this possibly an issue of not syncing my library with MM in the first place.

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to get as much info down as possible.
Peke

Re: Playlist transfer to Sony NW-A45 duplicating songs.

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You need to import device Profile Settings on Both SDcards, as the second uses default profile settings.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ZillaZilla

Post by ZillaZilla »

Hi and thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned in my opening post "The NW-A45 SD Card has the NW-A45 Device profile downloaded from Media Monkey and applied to it but I was having the same problem before and after the application of the profile."

The phone SD card works as I would expect it to and was used for comparison against the NW-A45 which does not work as I expected. Hope I'm being clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
yes completely clear, but SDCard have enabled Relative paths and internal do not which makes actual problem and in Playlist you see c:\ instead of ..\ which points to issue that profile is not imported for internal correctly.

I would suggest to compare profile settings for internal and SDcard and make them same.
Best regards,
Peke
ZillaZilla

Post by ZillaZilla »

The profile settings for the NW-A45 internal memory and the SD card are the same and relative paths are enabled, although I have never used the internal memory, all files are stored on the SD card.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Ok so now I am confused Officially and if SDCard works then what does not work :-?
Best regards,
Peke
ZillaZilla

Post by ZillaZilla »

In my original post I am talking about two different devices. A phone and an MP3 player. Both using SD cards.

The SD Card for the Sony NW-A45 does not work as I would have expected. The songs used in a playlist are duplicated in the MUSIC folder of the SD card causing duplicate files which take up more memory.

I expected it to work in the same manner as the SD card of my Xperia phone, where the when a playlist is transferred it simply uses the files already present.

I am aware that the two have different operating systems, I just gave the Xperia phone info to illustrate how I would expect playlists to work.

Anyway, it looks like I've found the solution.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately Non Android devices diferently handle files and their paths, when you use MMA on Android device (xperia) and/or allow Android media Scanner to scan files MMW can use its partial fingerprinting, along with tag comparison to pair tracks in MMW library with those on device. When use MMA on Device (xperia) along with WiFi sync that accuracy is further increased as MM own algorithms do the pairing.

Would you be kind to share what was the solution?
Best regards,
Peke