Synching to Raspberry Pi

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

tytanic

Synching to Raspberry Pi

Post by tytanic »

I use MMW (4.1.31.1919) on my PC to tag and manage my music
New files, once tagged, would be organised into the right folder, where Synology Drive would copy the files to my NAS where LMS would read them from. This provided for copies of the same files on both my PC and my server and provide redundancy in the event. Synology have ended support for LMS, so I have bought a Raspberry Pi, which is running PiCorePlayer OS and I have Samba shares set up for music and playlists which I can access from my PC.

I have had problems setting up Portable Device Sync, but before I venture down that rabbit hole, I wanted to check if this provides the same solution I previously had, or whether I have misunderstood something here? I'm basically trying to replicate the function of what Synology Drive does without the use of paid 3rd party apps.

I had hoped that Windows Backup would just take files from one location and copy them to the Samba share as is, but unfortunately not.
tytanic

Re: Synching to Raspberry Pi

Post by tytanic »

In case it is of any use to anyone else trying to synch to a Pi

1. You can 'synch' your folder directory to your Pi using the USB Mass Storage Plug-in device profile, but subsequent updates to the original files do not automatically update. There are options to scan and auto-sync when the device is connected, but when you then add or update files in MM, you will need to remember to synch them to reflect the changes. Not quite as seamless, but not the end of the world either.

2. My initial problem was I was unable to download the profile. No response at all from the browser when I clicked on it. Turned Adblocker off - same. That was on Chrome. Tried with Edge and it downloaded first time of asking. Never had that problem with Chrome before or since. Maybe that information might help someone else.