iPhone WiFi sync?

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

netsharc

iPhone WiFi sync?

Post by netsharc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Hello all, first time poster here.

Anyway, after enjoying the new and improved iPhone 3.0 DLL, I started wondering, wouldn't it be great if MediaMonkey can sync the iPhone/iTouch through WiFi, without forcing it to use the USB cable? AFAIK iPhone uses "Ethernet over USB" anyway, creating a small TCP/IP network between the computer and the phone when it's connected over USB.

So I was wondering if it's possible to do the same TCP/IP communication over WiFi, or localhost (more on this later). Any experts have an opinion? Perhaps jiri?

By localhost, I mean, move the database-updating logic that the PC-DLL does into a daemon that runs in the jailbroken iPhone. The daemon would also listen on the WiFi interface for our own update commands, and when it gets them, it does its magic, manipulating the database on the phone, not via Ethernet over USB, but through the loopback device.

I'm wondering though if the phone's USB daemon guards the access to the database, letting it only be updated when the cable is connected.

I've managed to create an app or two for the iPhone, so I was thinking, if I got the code to the iPhone DLL I could take a crack of porting it into the device.

As I said, anyone got any opinions of the feasebility of this idea?

jiri

Re: iPhone WiFi sync?

Post by jiri » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:53 am

It should be possible to implement this on jailbroken iPhone, but we currently don't plan to work on this. That said, if anyone is interested to spend some time on programming this, just let me know over e-mail and we can discuss it.

Jiri